Why do Europeans hate Americans? Be honest... - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

TIG, it's the same sort of nonsense you hear when people bitch about their boss. Sure, maybe your boss is an inconsiderate jackass, but low-level management doesn't have a lot of say in a company. A manager could easily be the nicest person in the world, but still have to reprimand or bear bad news; the US is the world hyperpower, and everything we do and don't do, for whatever reason, is criticized.
Same with our culture; yes, it's overbearing on other people to see American movies and TV shows exported to their country, although we have our fair of cultural imports here. However, the Brits, for instance, like to complain about such decadence, as Decky has, all the while creating some of the worst reality TV shows to plague America. Yet, because we're the "source", the faults of liberal-capitalist entertainment falls solely on the heads of American people and no-one else.
Out of self-hatred. When we look at america its like looking into the mirror and seeing what we don't want to see. Everybody has a little american in himself. Just look at what american companies manage to sell us:

McDonalds/Burger King: Bad food
Coca Cola: Bad drink
Starbucks: Bad coffee
Hollywood: Bad movies
Microsoft: Evil empire, fights linux.
Apple: Amen.
Google: Steals your data.
Facebook: Addictive and a waste of time. Steals your data.
In my small city, we have a tradition of celebrating cultural diversity by hosting a Parade of Nations. We line the main street with the flags of countries represented in the parade. Nearly all of the participants are from a local college. One year, a year or two after 9-11, a local woman single-handedly forced the removal of the flags. She was enraged that they were not all American! ...in a Parade of Nations!

Overly patriotic people are worthy of being mocked by my self and Europeans alike, so please, feel free to express your disgust at Americans when they become irrational. I do.

Patriotism isn't about waving flag for others to go to foreign land and kill the innocents for fun. In fact, those who did that aren't patriot, but a bunch of sheep.
Rugoz, it's the funny thing about America- we've long forgotten what a good cup of coffee should taste like. I'm firmly against the use of cream or sugar in coffee because it bastardizes it, and yet when I get McDonalds or Tim Hortons(no starbucks around here), I load it up. No point in protesting the bastardization of coffee in a cup of pre-bastardized coffee. :*(
just found this thread

better late that never

getting ready for the Biden debate so I will save it for tomorrow

But its popcorn time because this is my pet subject

I will make this observation for now:

Americans either LOVE or HATE and there is no grey (gray) areas and that is why the thread is titled as it is.

It's simplistic and extreme and lazy to say Love or Hate

So that is the first culture difference

I have spent the last four years living in the Columbia Valley in Central Washington State

When people asked me how I liked it I said "it doesn't rain much - actual it's quite nice and I'm doing ok here"

In English, this is the most gushing accolade of approval

But my American neighbor's faces dropped and they turned away in disgust - because if you dont use the word LOVE and rave on about how ultimately wonderful it is, then you are saying you hate it

That happened many times to me and I know its true. My yankee wife from Milwaukee hit the same brick wall a few times so perhaps its a small town USA thing

Anyway, that's my opening observation, there will be many more

I haven't even started on how Americans eat with their hands or just a fork - it's cave man stuff to a European where table manners are important

Well, I really hate some Americans, especially the politicians who are potentially reckless and corrupts mass murderers, even if some of them get the Nobel Peace Prize.

But I have a lot of relatives and friends in the USA, and I love them.

Trust me, those D.C.-Wall Street elitists and feudalists will kill even in billions when their petrodollar policy been threaten. Well, right now Iran is using golds or bilateral currency trading for it's oil trades. Which means, war could happen in the future.

But then again, those elitists will tell you the Iranians hate American's freedom. Oh yes, like I'll believe that after they STOLE Libyan's golds reserve.
On my last trip to England via Amsterdam, I was sat in the plane at Seattle waiting for takeoff, and I was sat between 5 Iranian guys

They were on the way to Teheran and were quite fun

Just coz they are sat on a gazillion tons of oil and are not keen on the Israelis everybody wants to slaughter their cities

Pretty disgusting

Leave em alone
Someneck wrote:But its popcorn time because this is my pet subject

Oh goodie...someone who knows what he's talking about.
But save the popcorn...just gets caught in my teeth...

Someneck wrote:I will make this observation for now:

Americans either LOVE or HATE and there is no grey (gray) areas and that is why the thread is titled as it is.

It's simplistic and extreme and lazy to say Love or Hate

So that is the first culture difference

I have spent the last four years living in the Columbia Valley in Central Washington State

When people asked me how I liked it I said "it doesn't rain much - actual it's quite nice and I'm doing ok here"

In English, this is the most gushing accolade of approval

But my American neighbor's faces dropped and they turned away in disgust - because if you dont use the word LOVE and rave on about how ultimately wonderful it is, then you are saying you hate it

That happened many times to me and I know its true. My yankee wife from Milwaukee hit the same brick wall a few times so perhaps its a small town USA thing

Anyway, that's my opening observation, there will be many more

I haven't even started on how Americans eat with their hands or just a fork - it's cave man stuff to a European where table manners are important

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bingo!

The Great State of Michigan!

I've been to Michigan...it ain't so great...
ok let's get serious

My wife worked in Lancashire in 2007 and she got a lot of flak (Fliegerabwehrkanone) for being American

I told her it was the result of the Bush years and she almost believes me

Post war there was resentment about Americans bonking all the lower class British women during the war while the men were fighting in places like Burma (my dad was)

That lasted until Elvis and Gene Vincent and Little Richard and big cars of the 50's when people thought America was great !

Vietnam was the start of slippy slope - with all those burned Vietnamese children on our screens every day.

Clinton was a high point and provided laughs when he was doing the Polish Jewish girl in the White House

When Bush took over he scrapped environmental measures and started a lying war and then the sky fell. People really hated what America was doing. There are 460 million people in Europe alone and they hated Bush and everything he represented - swaggering cowboy, ignorant, couldn't speak properly, violent trampling on people everywhere and cynically lying about it and his stupid WMD's

Then Obama came along and everyone applauded it and saw a brand new day for America - still slipping economically but gaining respect as a civilized nation with universal health care and no new wars

If Romney, and I am deadly serious now, if Romney wins, we will be thrown into a new dark age of cultish repressive religious laws and new wars for his friends to profiteer from. I predict the world's view of the USA will be lower than EVER in history

I said something similar before on here once and the reply was "fuck the world" and I know there are Americans like that - -but I have learned they might be the majority on online - but not in the population.

The next 3 weeks will change the world - and there are undecideds !

Ya that's reasonable, and I have some of the same concerns.

I don't trust ANY politicians...but I REALLY don't trust Romney.
He'll say and do anything to gain power.
But once he has it...one of the things he wants to do is enlarge that bloated military.
Why? What for? Unless...KABOOM!!!

America is not at war with Islamists.
It is not at war with Iraq, or Iran, or anyone in particular.
America is at war with TERROR.
An absolutely ludicrous idea...
But it also happens to be that holy grail of wars...it never ends.
All they have to do is keep poking at the Middle East and presto...instant adversaries.
Its a dangerous game...and I do fear for the lives of our younguns.
Buzz62 wrote:Ya that's reasonable, and I have some of the same concerns.

I don't trust ANY politicians...but I REALLY don't trust Romney.
He'll say and do anything to gain power.
But once he has it...one of the things he wants to do is enlarge that bloated military.
Why? What for? Unless...KABOOM!!!

America is not at war with Islamists.
It is not at war with Iraq, or Iran, or anyone in particular.
America is at war with TERROR.
An absolutely ludicrous idea...
But it also happens to be that holy grail of wars...it never ends.
All they have to do is keep poking at the Middle East and presto...instant adversaries.
Its a dangerous game...and I do fear for the lives of our younguns.

I would like us to pull back - as the former Empires have done, but yes, full power to the security services and their work should be the future way that the war is fought. Sometimes I feel moderate until a jihadi comes on the internet and spouts their stuff - then all I want to do is splat em

We can't satisfy the Islamists, even by pulling back, because as long as we pal up to Israel (and that is forever) they will never let us off the hook. This thing has been going on since the crusades and is hotting up; 700 years and counting
Someneck wrote:I would like us to pull back - as the former Empires have done, but yes, full power to the security services and their work should be the future way that the war is fought. Sometimes I feel moderate until a jihadi comes on the internet and spouts their stuff - then all I want to do is splat em

We can't satisfy the Islamists, even by pulling back, because as long as we pal up to Israel (and that is forever) they will never let us off the hook. This thing has been going on since the crusades and is hotting up; 700 years and counting

OK now I do not agree completely.
1. Nobody is at war with Islamists. The more people say that, the more they will believe it.
2. Israel should be cut loose by Britain. USA and Canada. If they wanna fight...let 'em.
Buzz62 wrote:
OK now I do not agree completely.
1. Nobody is at war with Islamists. The more people say that, the more they will believe it.
2. Israel should be cut loose by Britain. USA and Canada. If they wanna fight...let 'em.

I totally agree - but it will never happen

That is because the extreme evangelicals in the USA regard it as their holy land in exactly the same way as the crusaders

That plus the Jewish lobby means the US will be Israel's client state (not the other way round), forever

That means the Islamists will be at war with us forever

It's ok wishing, but I am describing the future and nothing can change it
Someneck wrote:My wife worked in Lancashire in 2007 and she got a lot of flak (Fliegerabwehrkanone) for being American. I told her it was the result of the Bush years and she almost believes me. Post war there was resentment about Americans bonking all the lower class British women during the war while the men were fighting in places like Burma (my dad was). That lasted until Elvis and Gene Vincent and Little Richard and big cars of the 50's when people thought America was great ! Vietnam was the start of slippy slope - with all those burned Vietnamese children on our screens every day.
Clinton was a high point and provided laughs when he was doing the Polish Jewish girl in the White House.
When Bush took over he scrapped environmental measures and started a lying war and then the sky fell. People really hated what America was doing. There are 460 million people in Europe alone and they hated Bush and everything he represented - swaggering cowboy, ignorant, couldn't speak properly, violent trampling on people everywhere and cynically lying about it and his stupid WMD's
Then Obama came along and everyone applauded it and saw a brand new day for America - still slipping economically but gaining respect as a civilized nation with universal health care and no new wars

If Romney, and I am deadly serious now, if Romney wins, we will be thrown into a new dark age of cultish repressive religious laws and new wars for his friends to profiteer from. I predict the world's view of the USA will be lower than EVER in history

I said something similar before on here once and the reply was "fuck the world" and I know there are Americans like that - -but I have learned they might be the majority on online - but not in the population.

The next 3 weeks will change the world - and there are undecideds!

As long as we're the hyperpower and they're not, they'll hate us. Not all of them, but Islam wants a world caliphate and there'll always be fundementalists who want to press it. If the US power wanes and China comes to inherit our position, you'll have Syrians, Libyans, and Pashtuns pissing and moaning about the great slanteye'd devil.

That said, the idea Europe loves us more under Democrat than a Republican is a bullshit, and rather pointless, observation. Obama hasn't closed down Gitmo, hasn't done anything different than Nixon in Iraq or Afganistan, and went into Libya, while Bush hasn't done anything to Iran Obama hasn't. Secretary Clinton, in fact, has said nothing to the contrary of the Bush administrations policies toward Iran. So, if it's the case that Europeans like Americans more under a Democrat, then it's because of image and not policy.

On the topic of Iran, and foreign policy in general, I think we do need a much better realpolitick. I can't say most of what we've done isn't beneficial, but we no longer live in the Cold War while our alliances do. Israel, for all it's strengths, no longer serves a purpose as an ally; nor does most of Europe. To my knowledge, we don't have any bases in Saudi Arabia, though we do in Kuwait, UAE, and Turkey, and recieve only a small fraction of our oil from the Middle East. I'd rather see us try to restore relations with Iran, who can serve as a base and influence in the Middle East, Central Asia, and Southern Asia, rather than on Saudi Arabia. On that note, we also need to say "Fuck Europe(Britain excepted)" and start doing more to court Russia.
I'd rather see us try to restore relations with Iran, who can serve as a base and influence in the Middle East, Central Asia, and Southern Asia, rather than on Saudi Arabia.

I've been saying this for years, yet naive idiots who don't even understand the causes of, nor were they around to see the Iranian Revolution and the embassy crisis, believe they are some mythical "natural enemy" of the United States. It's patently absurd. Yes, Iran took hundreds of American hostages and we all watched it on national television. We also sanctioned the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran to overthrow the legitimate Reza Shah, and subsequently orchestrated a coup to depose Mossadegh and co-opt Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi. So what? We seem to have moved past the British burning the White House to the ground.
Americans are so pathetic about the "WE"

They are all unemployed or on food stamps or without health insurance, or underwater on their mortgagees or can't afford college for their kids ETC ET ETC

..and yet they strut around saying how "WE" are a hyper-power.

THEY themselves are not a hyper-power - just a badly dressed person who isn't doing very well

WE see the same thing at a sporting match when all the Homer Simpsons claim that "WE" won the match

Jeez half of em haven't seen their toes for 20 years and they claim the pinnacle of athletic achievement !

The USA might have the largest Military, but the life of the average individual American is far from impressive

The irony is that all the rightos would echo my sentiments about the State of the country and then Blame it on the president - and then, in the same breath, strut around saying the Country was better than anyone else's - when what they are really bragging about is the Lear Jets and Yachts of the rich -- not them

Yes its a rich country -- but you ain't rich bud - they are !

I'm sorry, does the idea of "society" not register to liberals? (that's rhetorical, Rei)

"We" won the cold war. "We" conquered the continent, "we" have the mightiest military and economic power in the war, and yes, "we" the fandom stand behing our teams and their accomplishment. BTW, the last one's pretty fucking hypocritical coming from a continent full of hooligans, and a country that chants "we won the war" everytime they play Germany.
Figlio di Moros wrote:I'm sorry, does the idea of "society" not register to liberals? (that's rhetorical, Rei)

Aww. I was just gearing up to answer it in 594 paragraphs with citations. But yes, we all know the answer already. :D

About Britain, Figlio di Moros wrote:a country that chants "we won the war" everytime they play Germany.

This is actually a point that strikes very close to the British heart. Britain has a sense of national pride at the moment that runs almost entirely on the fumes from the empty petrol tank of the Second World War.

It a pretty sad state of affairs.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]