Why do Europeans hate Americans? Be honest... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I would actually kind of argue America has become it's own civilization. It is obviously the daughter of Europe and is entirely based on European philosophy and religion but it has become rather more than that. The U.S. population is now larger than that of Carolingian Europe (France, Germany, Benelux, Switzerland and Northern Italy). Europe has become Americanized through film, consumption and music - sometimes this is grotesque, as with European W***** - even if Europe remains its own civilization.
Many Europeans see American influence as a cancer in their country.

This, it is particularly bad in Britain (and I assume the rest of the Anglosphere) where we have their "culture" bombarding us constantly with shit music and moronic TV, it feels rather like being under siege.

I specifically live in a country with a leadership thats just awful and might destroy the euro currency (germany, Chancellor Merkel).

:?:

That's a good thing.

Americans are bad at geography? Ask a European to find Utah on a map and it's virtually identical to an American trying to find Austria.

It isn't the same thing. Austria is a country, Utah is not. No one bar an American should know where Utah is. This is the American arrogance people are talking about.

"Our state is as important as a fucking country." I may as well ague it is just as important to be able to find Warwickshire on a map as it is to be able to find Canada. :roll:
Maas wrote:You got that classic immage of loud mouth Americans yelling that they are number 1. Than again, how do they know that? Most Americans don't go anywhere in their lives. Only 1/3 got a passport since 2012 (while it was a pathettic 3% in 1990).

How many europeans leave europe? I have never been outside Europe before despite being on many holidays.
Kman wrote:How many europeans leave europe? I have never been outside Europe before despite being on many holidays.

There is a cultural difference here.

When you travel around Europe, you enter into different societies with different cultures and even languages.
Very many of them.

As such you become acclimatised to the differences in peoples. You learn to expect that other people have other ways of doing things and other ideologies. Your distrust of foreigners/feelings of superiority over them has been greatly reduced by your exposure to them. In fact, you learn to love respect and appreciate them.
At least that's how it worked for me.

When you travel around America all you meet are other Americans who predominantly share the same common identity and culture as you.
Your horizons are less broadened by the experience of travelling the same amount of miles as it would be if you did so in Europe.
Decky wrote:"I specifically live in a country with a leadership thats just awful and might destroy the euro currency (germany, Chancellor Merkel)."

:?:

That's a good thing.

:eh: Care to quantify that? Because normally, currency collapses are not good things. Maybe long-term, but short- term, the collapse of the euro would be disastrous.
It isn't the same thing. Austria is a country, Utah is not. No one bar an American should know where Utah is. This is the American arrogance people are talking about.

A European state and an American state. Utah has its own army, constitution, supreme court, and laws. If I kill someone in California the police in Utah can't arrest and try me. Just like Austria with the rest of the EU, papers need to be signed, governments worked with, and then an exchange to go back to California may be made.

Again, this is basic stuff most Europeans don't know. The United States of America isn't a snappy name, it's a discription in the same way, European Union is.

The fact is that, whatever the exact relationship to the overarching continental government, Americans and Europeans don't know each other's geography well.

As per American culture ruining everything, does European language based productions springing from European music, European film, based on earlier European masters by European people for audiences familiar with European cultural standards really offend Europeans that much?
TIG wrote:A European state and an American state. Utah has its own army, constitution, supreme court, and laws. If I kill someone in California the police in Utah can't arrest and try me. Just like Austria with the rest of the EU, papers need to be signed, governments worked with, and then an exchange to go back to California may be made.

Again, this is basic stuff most Europeans don't know. The United States of America isn't a snappy name, it's a discription in the same way, European Union is.

However, Utah doesn't have a foreign policy, it's not a member of the UN and it doesn't have its own Olympic team. It's a state, but it's neither a country nor a nation. This is what makes the EU basically different from the US: it's a union of countries and nations, while the US is a country and a nation itself.
Becaue they gave up individual control of their foreign policy from what I can tell a common currency is not the only thing the EU does and I can pick out any one thing to claim that EU members are no longer nations. The fact remains that you can't really expect people to have memorized the exact names and positions of every country on earth, I doubt either Americans or Europeans could name every country of Africa.

What exactly is wrong? We know how many rockets w[…]

Leslie woman gets to the point. Lol. https:[…]

I'm surprised to see the genocide supporters (lik[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]