John Cleese Sketch about Class System - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

It is real. Class systems are just ridiculous but a lot of humans subscribe to it. I wonder why? John Cleese made a social commentary but it is about English class systems. It is different in other cultures. But they are all ridiculous! :lol:

It’s a very old skit from an excellent satirical programme from the 1960s called That was the week that was.

It was actually written by Marty Feldman and is very famous.

It’s just poking fun at society and was never meant to be serious.

Of course there is a class problem in the U.K. , just as there is everywhere.

The reasons for that are various. It’s mainly about money.
snapdragon wrote:It’s a very old skit from an excellent satirical programme from the 1960s called That was the week that was.

It was actually written by Marty Feldman and is very famous.

It’s just poking fun at society and was never meant to be serious.

Of course there is a class problem in the U.K. , just as there is everywhere.

The reasons for that are various. It’s mainly about money.

Actually, it’s mainly about the mode of economic production and the way in which it distributes the social wealth. But yeah, money too. Lol.
I heard a good analogy from me dad that he heard back in Australia.

It went something like the world is a carnival and the wealthy kids get to go on all the rides and get lots of tickets as much as they like. If they don’t like a ride they simply choose something different.

Now the next kid is not so well off, his family have been able to afford him a decent education and with that he is able to afford to perhaps go on one or a couple rides.

Now poor kids, they don’t get to go on any rides because… they’re running the carnival.
Wellsy wrote:I heard a good analogy from me dad that he heard back in Australia.

It went something like the world is a carnival and the wealthy kids get to go on all the rides and get lots of tickets as much as they like. If they don’t like a ride they simply choose something different.

Now the next kid is not so well off, his family have been able to afford him a decent education and with that he is able to afford to perhaps go on one or a couple rides.

Now poor kids, they don’t get to go on any rides because… they’re running the carnival.

Precisely. So... why do the poor kids need the other kids...? :eh:
Severance Hospital on 3 September 1904 after a generous American donor, Louis Severance, of Standard Oil.Rockefeller became well known in his later life for the practice of giving dimes to adults and nickels to children wherever he went. He even gave dimes as a playful gesture to wealthy men, such as tire mogul Harvey Firestone.[127] [H]e sometimes gave tens of thousands of dollars to Christian groups, while, at the same time, he was trying to borrow over a million dollars to expand his business."[101] "make as much money as he could, and then give away as much as he could".

In the same year, the hospital added Severance Hospital Medical School and the attached School of Nursing. After 1910, when Japan took over rule of Korea...
I was early taught to work as well as play,
My life has been one long, happy holiday;
Full of work and full of play—
I dropped the worry on the way—
And God was good to me everyday.

Underwood's older brother, John T. Underwood, a typewriter entrepreneur based in New York, helped finance Horace Grant's missionary endeavours. In 1889, Underwood married Lillias Horton (1851–1921), a doctor. In 1916, Underwood returned to the US due to failing health, but he died shortly thereafter in Atlantic City. Underwood's legacy is visible at various Christian educational institutes in Seoul. There is a statue of Underwood in the centre of the Yonsei University campus.
The Underwood Typewriter Company was an American manufacturer of typewriters headquartered in New York City, with manufacturing facilities in Hartford, Connecticut. Underwood produced what is considered the first widely successful, modern typewriter. By 1939, Underwood had produced five million machines

Sigh.

As is usually the case, this goes back to the 1800s.

The extremely conservative (real conservatism, not the radical insanity you see today) upper class held all the power. They didn't want to invest in infrastructure, they didn't like change, period.

Yet they lost nearly all the political fights. They could have won all of them. But they'd wait until their failure to act threatened the economy. Their economy was the envy of the world, and they didn't want to kill the goose laying all those golden eggs.

Which British conservatives have forgotten. You see, things keep changing. The first country to do mass education was America. Our educated workforce helped make it possible to steal tons of British jobs.

That's just an example, a successful economy needs careful management. Just take a look at China to see how easy it is to run an economy off the rails.

The class system, dominated by reactionary upper class Brits, keeps making things worse, not better.

That's also true here.

Gentry (from Old French genterie, from gentil, "high-born, noble") are "well-born, genteel and well-bred people" of high social class, especially in the past.[1][2] Gentry, in its widest connotation, refers to people of good social position connected to landed estates (see manorialism), upper levels of the clergy, and "gentle" families of long descent who in some cases never obtained the official right to bear a coat of arms. The gentry largely consisted of landowners who could live entirely from rental income, or at least had a country estate; some were gentleman farmers.

The American gentry were rich landowning members of the American upper class in the colonial South.he Colonial American use of gentry was not common. Historians use it to refer to rich landowners in the South before 1776. George Washington was a commercial farmer much interested in innovations, and happily quit his public duties in 1783 and again in 1797 to manage his plantation at Mount Vernon. s. In 1809, Henry Lee III, Robert E. Lee's father, went bankrupt and served one year in debtors' prison in Montross, VirginiaRobert E. Lee's mother grew up at Shirley Plantation, one of the most elegant homes in Virginia. His maternal great-great grandfather, Robert "King" Carter of Corotoman, was the wealthiest man in the colonies when he died in 1732.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_gentry
https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/cu ... -tradition
ckaihatsu wrote:Chinese city Zhengzhou sets up bailout fund as mortgage boycott spreads

https://www.ft.com/content/dc738b2f-5a5 ... 64a0578aa4

China urges banks to extend loans to real estate companies after homeowners halt payments

I don't get it. Does that extend to classes or John Cleese or anything? You know if Chinese people withhold mortgages and the government pays for it, government houses, they'd probably like that.
Mike12 wrote:
I don't get it. Does that extend to classes or John Cleese or anything? You know if Chinese people withhold mortgage payments and the government pays for it, government houses, they'd probably like that.

He is responding to this:

"That's just an example, a successful economy needs careful management. Just take a look at China to see how easy it is to run an economy off the rails."

You are correct, it doesn't directly relate to the topic.

But there is an indirect relationship. China controlled the economy, and they funnelled most private investment into real estate. That turned into a massive bubble. Now that the bubble is collapsing, it is revealing that a large part of the Chinese economy is a fraud. One created by the government..

China is trying to spread the pain around, but it's too big. The government has been throwing money at this for years, now that that has failed, the sheer size of the thing means the government can't absorb losses of that magnitude.
Potemkin wrote:Precisely. So... why do the poor kids need the other kids...? :eh:

Because poor people are the body and the higher classes the mind, duh haha
Mike12 wrote:
I don't get it. Does that extend to classes or John Cleese or anything? You know if Chinese people withhold mortgages and the government pays for it, government houses, they'd probably like that.

I'll simply note that the government response is to provide liquidity to *real estate developers* -- same as what the U.S. would do.

Such data suggest “a mild recovery, rather than the V-shaped rebound in 2020,” Barclays’ Hong Kong-based credit analyst Wilson Ho wrote in a Monday note. Sales in smaller cities are weaker compared with larger ones, he added. That’s prompted developers in some rural areas to accept garlic, wheat and even watermelon as housing deposits in recent months.

That said, the sector still faces significant challenges. Luxury builder Shimao Group Holdings Ltd.’s default on a $1 billion offshore bond this week highlighted the severity of the spreading liquidity crisis. It could also leave millions of square feet of apartments unfinished -- underscoring a risk that has deterred homebuyers. Developers’ completion for property projects slumped further in May, according to official data.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... les-bottom

---

The official newspaper for China’s banking and insurance regulator on Sunday published similar admonitions and pushed to support delivery of apartments and financing for the real estate industry.

Without the property sector’s drag, China’s GDP could have grown by 3% in the second quarter versus the 0.4% growth reported Friday, according to Goldman Sachs’ analysis.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/20/chinas- ... slump.html
late wrote:Sigh.

As is usually the case, this goes back to the 1800s.

The extremely conservative (real conservatism, not the radical insanity you see today) upper class held all the power. They didn't want to invest in infrastructure, they didn't like change, period.

Yet they lost nearly all the political fights. They could have won all of them. But they'd wait until their failure to act threatened the economy. Their economy was the envy of the world, and they didn't want to kill the goose laying all those golden eggs.

Which British conservatives have forgotten. You see, things keep changing. The first country to do mass education was America. Our educated workforce helped make it possible to steal tons of British jobs.

That's just an example, a successful economy needs careful management. Just take a look at China to see how easy it is to run an economy off the rails.

The class system, dominated by reactionary upper class Brits, keeps making things worse, not better.

That's also true here.

That post is insanely British, what is @ckaihatsu and @late trying to collaborate with that post? The 1800's British economy would be the East India Company... That would be absorbed by the Crown in 1875...

Originally chartered as the "Governor and Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East-Indies",[10][11] the company rose to account for half of the world's trade during the mid-1700s and early 1800s,[12] particularly in basic commodities including cotton, silk, indigo dye, sugar, salt, spices, saltpetre, tea, and opium. Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 after the Battle of Plassey and lasted until 1858 when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

Despite frequent government intervention, the company had recurring problems with its finances. The company was dissolved in 1874 . The official government machinery of the British Raj had assumed its governmental functions and absorbed its armies.

the British Government nationalised the company. The British textile industry used 52 million pounds of cotton in 1800, which increased to 588 million pounds in 1850.In 1791 American cotton production was about 2 million pounds, soaring to 35 million by 1800, half of which was exported. America's cotton plantations were highly efficient and profitable, and able to keep up with demand.[174] The U.S. Civil War created a "cotton famine" that led to increased production in other areas of the world, including European colonies in Africa.[175]The demand for cotton presented an opportunity to planters in the Southern United States, who thought upland cotton would be a profitable crop if a better way could be found to remove the seed. Britain's population grew 280% 1550–1820, while the rest of Western Europe grew 50–80%. Seventy percent of European urbanisation happened in Britain 1750–1800. By 1800, only the Netherlands was more urbanised than Britain. This was only possible because coal, coke, imported cotton, brick and slate had replaced wood, charcoal, flax, peat and thatch.

Cotton was a difficult raw material for Europe to obtain before it was grown on colonial plantations in the Americas. Southerners from the Cotton Belt, particularly those from South Carolina, felt they were harmed directly by having to pay more for imports from Europe. Allegedly, the South was also harmed indirectly because reducing the exportation of British goods to the U.S. would make it difficult for the British to pay for the cotton they imported from the South.[2] The reaction in the South, particularly in South Carolina, led to the Nullification Crisis.[3]

I'll tell you what Government economy has done in China is the Great Famine and you're all essentially absorbed with the same malady. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chinese_Famine
Mike12 wrote:
collaborate

No collaboration -- relax.

And even if there *was* coordination, what the hell are you complaining about?

Also, I'm *not* a Maoist, so I don't look to the *state* for any 'solutions' to the social ills of the world. It's gotta be the world's *working class*, on its own terms.

Political Spectrum, Simplified UPDATE

Spoiler: show

Political Spectrum, Simplified

Spoiler: show
@ckaihatsu and @late and @Potemkin and all the rest of the posters on this thread. The reasoning behind my post was to talk about the psychological reasons behind why people continue to think class systems are a natural part of human society. They are not. They are artificially created by a need for status that is also socially constructed. The way society is constructed can change and in fact does change. That people keep tolerating poverty, denying access to great educations, low wages to working people, and incredible privileges to the very wealthy is a study in ridiculous lack of intelligence about human potential and human cooperative abilities.

The point of my posting Cleese's sketch is that comedians and artists often touch on truths we all know are true, but we refuse to acknowledge it properly and work on changing what is holding us back as a society. We accept all that bullshit with shrugging our shoulders and saying, 'that is just the way it is.' It is not just the way it is. It is what you accept as the way it is.

In that movie Contact with Jodie Foster and the character she played Ellie, she was denied a spot on the team for experimentation with the machine that was built to explore the universe, and her boss told her the reason for the unfairness was, 'that is the way of the world' and she replied, 'funny, I always thought the world is what we make of it.'

That is truth. You accept that crap class thought thing as made in stone and not to be changed? That is exactly what will happen. It does not change.
Tainari88 wrote:
@ckaihatsu and @late and @Potemkin and all the rest of the posters on this thread. The reasoning behind my post was to talk about the psychological reasons behind why people continue to think class systems are a natural part of human society. They are not. They are artificially created by a need for status that is also socially constructed. The way society is constructed can change and in fact does change. That people keep tolerating poverty, denying access to great educations, low wages to working people, and incredible privileges to the very wealthy is a study in ridiculous lack of intelligence about human potential and human cooperative abilities.

The point of my posting Cleese's sketch is that comedians and artists often touch on truths we all know are true, but we refuse to acknowledge it properly and work on changing what is holding us back as a society. We accept all that bullshit with shrugging our shoulders and saying, 'that is just the way it is.' It is not just the way it is. It is what you accept as the way it is.

In that movie Contact with Jodie Foster and the character she played Ellie, she was denied a spot on the team for experimentation with the machine that was built to explore the universe, and her boss told her the reason for the unfairness was, 'that is the way of the world' and she replied, 'funny, I always thought the world is what we make of it.'

That is truth. You accept that crap class thought thing as made in stone and not to be changed? That is exactly what will happen. It does not change.

A hundred years ago, America changed it. I am hoping we can do it again.

You quoted Contact, love that movie.
Tainari88 wrote:@ckaihatsu and @late and @Potemkin and all the rest of the posters on this thread. The reasoning behind my post was to talk about the psychological reasons behind why people continue to think class systems are a natural part of human society. They are not. They are artificially created by a need for status that is also socially constructed. The way society is constructed can change and in fact does change. That people keep tolerating poverty, denying access to great educations, low wages to working people, and incredible privileges to the very wealthy is a study in ridiculous lack of intelligence about human potential and human cooperative abilities.

Huh, all these "people" talk out both sides of their mouths. Now, what the Presbyterians did now the "people" speak: They broke down all the classes in Korea. They went around to every Confucian society... What they do? They stol all the hats and clothes and ranks. Theres maybe 50 ranks and you don't talk to friends outside your rank. Now the "people" are talking and thats what the mission of Presbyterians were in Korea. Now read the entire history book and where did the More Light PCACRONYMMILTARYDESIGNATION-00 hippies PCUSA get their information? Is it from 10+ book sources? Not really, its the 'people' PCUSA. And they're all mostly the same way to have declared their accomplishment of toppling down the spider web of every organization, academic structure, designated allocation or system around them, they're all the same and together in the same thing feeling the same thing in the same meat grinder.. AT THE SAME TIME!

I was amused by her obedience to the ruling ideol[…]

@Pants-of-dog no, you have not shown anything. J[…]

Exactly. I think this is the caution to those tha[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]