Linux - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By TUC
Sorry I didnt know where to put it so I'll put it here.

I might be getting my self a copy of linux so I have something to play with after university.

I dont realy know what I want to do with it yet.....probably run it as a server and play about with it.

Things I might want to do with:
1. RTFM yes I will actualy read the fucking manual. hence I aint going to download it.

2. have a webserver. (with ftp acces)

3. stream audio on my network.

So I dont know what is better Red Hat Linux Profesional or Suse Linux.....and btw. I thought linux was supposed to be free! yeah well ok....they made a few CDs and wrote some books.....but who cares its linux its ment to be free. but its still cheaper than windows 2000 server so who cares.
By ahab
Between SuSe and RedHat I would go RH, but I <3 Debian.

You can download and burn the CDs yourself for free, but that might mean many GB worth of data.

I'm having problems with finding a use for my machines too. I have been having latency problems with my connection so I'm having one computer ping various addresses periodically to monitor the lag that this connection has. Soo frustrating at times, yet so powerful.
By TUC
Ok so red hat it is: another question on various sites I can order a domain name (cheap) and subdomain redirects to I might want to do the following set up is that posible with linux:
I get 4 domains e.g. one.com two.com three.com and tuc.net

I set up my server on my static IP adress e.g. 1.2.3.4

I set up the computer to host webspace with the folowing urls:
1.2.3.4/one
1.2.3.4/two
1.2.3.4/three

These folders represent on my compute
D:\Hosting\
D:\one\
D:\two\
D:\three\

I set up ftp acces to the folders with logins: Addmin; One; Two; Three
I want Admin to have acces to all folders on D:
the others should only get acces to their folder.

I then set up 4 webservers (one for each domain and get them to respond to 4 diferent ports on my IP:
1.2.3.4:4001
1.2.3.4:4002
1.2.3.4:4003
1.2.3.4:4004

What I dont know is if I can set up the http and ftp and mail servers in the desired way on 1 linux computer......
By ahab
you might be better suited to take this to a more linux oriented site, anandtech.com and 2cpu.com are two of the better ones I visit.

Using apache you can do something like this:

www.1.com = D:\1\
www.2.com = D:\2\
www2.2.com = D:\22\

apache is very flexible about that sort of thing. The most problems you'll have are figuring out where to type things.

as for mail & FTP... you should be able to do those things, but I have no experience with them.
By Delphi
I use Linux Slackware 9.0. Just about interface will do. MAke sure you get the KDE visual interface! *drools* The only money I spent on Linux was a few cents burning a CD. I bhorrowed a book from a friend. That is about it. Good luck!
By John Doe
I have SUSE on one of my computers and like it quite a bit. YAST seems to work ok for me. KDE is nice, but they still need to put a lot of work in the usability of it.
By Proctor
I have Red Hat. It's nice, but seeing as I have a Winmodem :flame: ,and I don't know how to mount my windows partition, it's pretty much useless.

Unless... Could anyone here guide me through it?
Trump found guilty in hush money trial

Here in Arizona as we slowly approach the next ele[…]

How does it prove genocidal intent again? Also, […]

@Potemkin wrote: Popular entertainment panders[…]

You probably think Bill nye is an actual scientis[…]