What Constitutes a "Free Market"? - Page 18 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Eran wrote:Is it your claim that there are circumstances under which the act of excluding others from one's justly-acquired property is aggressive?
If so, can you give a specific example? Is it sometimes immoral? Can you give a specific example of that?

Yes. A specific example would be if a doctor refused to treat someone during a life and death emergency while they were out on their time off. Admittedly (and thankfully) this is extremely rare, but as I said, it is a spectrum. We can imagine that the extreme cases are more rare.
We can both agree that such behaviour by a doctor would be immoral.

Would you also characterise it as "aggressive"? Would you advocate punishing the doctor for behaving that way? If so, where do you draw the line? How about a doctor in retirement? How about a doctor in retirement who could be flown to a disaster area to help victims there? How about a doctor in retirement who could be flown to a third world country where there is an obvious need for qualified medical personnel?
How about forcing people to study medicine so that they can later be forced to save lives?

Where do you draw the line, and how do you justify that?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes. A specific example would be if a doctor refused to treat someone during a life and death emergency while they were out on their time off. Admittedly (and thankfully) this is extremely rare, but as I said, it is a spectrum. We can imagine that the extreme cases are more rare.

I don't think you believe your own argument, so I will ask you again:

You used your resources to buy a computer rather than send it to a child that is starving to death in Africa right now. Are you a murderer? Have you violated the non aggression principle?

How about in the case of rape? Aggression doesn't require a life or death scenario. If withholding property (including your own body) is an act of aggression, then in a rape situation it's the rapist that is the victim.

None of this is to say that I don't agree with you, people should help each other if they can, especially when confronted with people in dire need. But to say that if they decide not to do so they are committing an act of aggression...that is quite a large step in logic, and I don't think it makes any sense.

How about people who need transplants? Someone out there needs a heart, and here you at with your heart beating away while you type on this forum. Does that put you in the same moral light as a murderer?
I think what Pants-of-dog is actually saying is that it isn't possible to articulate in advance when violating a person's self-ownership would be justified.

Basically, you have a general set of ownership rights (both in yourself and in ordinary property), but those "rights" can be violated whenever Pants-of-dog (or his representatives) determines, in his reasonable judgement, that such violation "feels right".
Please note that I never discussed the morality of the situation.

I was discussing the actual dynamics of what happens.

Please do not confuse my description of what is with what ought to be.
Hold on. You characterised a doctor who refuses to treat a patient as an example of "aggression", yet without attaching a moral weight to that assessment?

Clearly we need a pause to define our terms.

In what sense of the word "aggression" is a doctor who refuses to treat a patient engages in one?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please reread my posts concerning how it is a spectrum. Thank you.

The typical answer-with-a-non-answer. You made the claim, if you can't stand behind it then don't make it.
Rothbardian wrote:The typical answer-with-a-non-answer. You made the claim, if you can't stand behind it then don't make it.

To be honest, I think you are confused about what I am claiming.
Pants-of-dog wrote:
To be honest, I think you are confused about what I am claiming.

Wouldn't be the first time. It looks like you're trying to make a utilitarian argument that sometimes people have a right to the labor/property of others.

It's not "some shit". Your conception o[…]

No surprises here, the democrats (including MSNBC)[…]

New evidence of AI self-awareness?

A few days ago, I found a story, I believe on my M[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/6/text-of-th[…]