Psychology of Statism - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The Immortal Goon wrote:In fairness, he never said that history was irrelevant. He said:

--Your ahistorical nonsense is not relevant. Capitalism requires gov't, which is what we have now.

And he's correct. Your little story about Ancient Egypt is not in the least historical. It's a bunch of stuff you completely made up that is easily disprovable.

You are getting mixed up, he said irrelevant many times (that is actually the only "argument" he ever makes) so I don't blame you for getting confused.

I wrote: "That is really how it works all through history. You can deny it but it is obviously true."

Pod answered: "It is irrelevant."
taxizen wrote:Except when they rob people.

Whatever, as long as you agree that they support and enforce property rights.

t wrote:I care. Capitalism does function best when property rights are respected and, if there are bandits around, defended but it is a contradiction to have bandit kings do the defending. How do you explain the black and the grey market? That is capitalism that exists in total defiance of the whimsy of state so for sure that is trade without the "protection" of government, yet still it happens and happens a lot.

This is hilarious. You say the gov't is bad because it extorts like the mob. Then when the mob extorts, it is an example of free market capitalism.

So, when someone violates the property rights of another in the black market, what happens? They get away with it, usually.

t wrote:History is irrelevant! Why thanks POD that is a weight of my mind. Thanks to your supernatural intelligence I can now ignore reality just like you by imperiously snapping "irrelevant".

If you want to explain how Pharaohs are relevant to the fact that modern legislatures, modern courts, and modern police all respect and enforce capitalist property rights, go ahead.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Whatever, as long as you agree that they support and enforce property rights.

Not much. Well it depends on the government. Most are pretty atrocious. Some are okay for supporting and enforcing property rights in situations in which the government is not the violator. So for example if a non-government person steals from a non-government person, then okay they might do something, probably not the right thing but they will do something (eventually). But if the government is the one doing the stealing or the violating then there is no support or protection and no recourse either.

Pants-of-dog wrote:This is hilarious. You say the gov't is bad because it extorts like the mob. Then when the mob extorts, it is an example of free market capitalism.

So, when someone violates the property rights of another in the black market, what happens? They get away with it, usually.
I wasn't thinking of the mob's protection rackets (which arguably not trade but is tax), I was thinking of smugglers, bootleggers, tax dodgers and drug dealers. Haven't you ever bought anything on the black market? A gram of hash? Or untaxed tobacco? Haven't you ever hired a babysitter and paid cash without notifying the tax office and deducting from her pay the tax "owed".
taxizen wrote:Not much. Well it depends on the government. Most are pretty atrocious. Some are okay for supporting and enforcing property rights in situations in which the government is not the violator. So for example if a non-government person steals from a non-government person, then okay they might do something, probably not the right thing but they will do something (eventually). But if the government is the one doing the stealing or the violating then there is no support or protection and no recourse either.

You agree that you can take people to court if they violate your property rights. Good. let's move on.

t wrote:I wasn't thinking of the mob's protection rackets (which arguably not trade but is tax), I was thinking of smugglers, bootleggers, tax dodgers and drug dealers. Haven't you ever bought anything on the black market? A gram of hash? Or untaxed tobacco? Haven't you ever hired a babysitter and paid cash without notifying the tax office and deducting from her pay the tax "owed".

Now, since you can't appeal for institutional help to defend your property rights if someone aggresses against you in the black market, the black market is inherently less respectful of property rights. Can we agree on that?
Pants-of-dog wrote:You agree that you can take people to court if they violate your property rights. Good. let's move on.

So you agree that the government is the worst violator of property rights. Good. Let's move on. (see I can play those little games too. )
Pants-of-dog wrote:Now, since you can't appeal for institutional help to defend your property rights if someone aggresses against you in the black market, the black market is inherently less respectful of property rights. Can we agree on that?

The fun thing is it rarely happens. It is bad for business after all to cheat a trade partner. If a dealer sells me hash claiming it is proper potent stuff but turns out to be seriously dilute then I'm not going to use him again and I'll tell all my dope fiend friends about it and they won't use him again either and then he loses out more than me. If I promise to pay the baby sitter but then with some lame excuse don't, she won't come again and she will tell her baby sitter mates about it and her parents and all the neighbours and then next time I want to treat the wife to a show, I'll find I have to cancel because no one will look after the baby and I lose out more than the baby sitter. The market has its own way of correcting bad players.
You've got to be kidding me. Even with state oversight, people have a way of getting away with fraud repeatedly, because sometimes the state doesn't see it happening. Also, your social network might not be wide enough for you to discover what people are saying about a particular vendor. So in those cases you are basically screwed.

Used car dealers are a prominent example of this problem. They are often hit-or-miss even with state oversight, they would only get worse without it.
Rei Murasame wrote:You've got to be kidding me. Even with state oversight, people have a way of getting away with fraud repeatedly, because sometimes the state doesn't see it happening. Also, your social network might not be wide enough for you to discover what people are saying about a particular vendor. So in those cases you are basically screwed.
Used car dealers are a prominent example of this problem. They are often hit-or-miss even with state oversight, they would only get worse without it.

Bureaucrats and other state officials have no incentive to do anything right and that is why people get away with fraud repeatedly. In every market white, grey and black reputation is everything. In the white market, the media often serves as reputation maker or breaker as much as a social network. In the grey and black market you only ever find a vendor through your social network, its not like drug dealers advertise on TV is it?

Buying a used car is always hit and miss even if you buy it from the government (they auction off vehicles they steal from people so yeah you can buy used cars from the government) but that has more to do with cars being complex machines that can take a lot of punishment over their lifespan and can be expensive to repair than with dodgy dealers.

Grown ups say "Caveat Emptor".
taxizen wrote:Grown ups say "Caveat Emptor".

I can't think of any population group that I'd want to allow to operate on the basis of 'buyer beware', because - frankly - I don't trust people to carry out transactions in a non-disastrous way, without oversight. Because lots of people really don't know what the hell they are doing.

To reuse the used-car example, 'buyer beware' sounds really cool up until you remember that these are the same people we have to drive alongside on the road tomorrow morning.
Last edited by Rei Murasame on 03 Dec 2013 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rei Murasame wrote:I can't think of any population group that I'd want to allow to operate on the basis of 'buyer beware', because - frankly - I don't trust people to carry out transactions in a non-disastrous way, without oversight. Because lots of people really don't know what the hell they are doing.

The trouble is those people get jobs in government.
No they don't. I trust whoever inspects these shops significantly more than I trust some random person, because to inspect something a person has to have the correct qualifications. Furthermore, I prefer small cute cars and I don't like the idea of having some guy in a second hand van totalling my small cute car and killing me, because I supported 'buyer beware' and he bought a gigantic van with non-working brakes or something.

All of their problems become my problems, magnified. If they hit me, they'll live and I'll die.
Right okay you can hope papa state will keep you cozy and safe and nevermind whether the cost / benefit is even remotely rational.

Myself, I won't trade liberty for security. I say it is self-evident that a sentient being is 100% liable for the harm or loss he causes so a sentient being has an incentive to be careful and prudent because me or my own will make him pay every inch of the harm he causes me or my own.

For domesticated animals it is different they are not responsible for themselves only their owners are. So if one of the animals' drives his van into another animals' cute car, the fault does not lie with the animals it lies with their owners the government who should have trained them better or made sure they drove safe vehicles. So of course with the government taking responsibility for the harm their animals do then they do have some incentive to keep them properly fenced in and regulated.

I suppose then if a freeman is harmed by an animal of the state then he should get recourse from the state not the animal then we will see just how responsible the owner that is the state really is.
There is no pejorative spin that can get me to change my mind on this. I prefer to support building a state that can manage these basic things, because I have things to do and I want to reduce the chances that someone will kill me in a road accident.

I can't make a negligent driver pay if I'm dead, no matter how careful a driver I am.

Perhaps the answer to this thread is that the 'psychology of statism', if one exists, is that I don't trust people to do what they are supposed to do, unless some authority is watching over them with a stick. Preferably an authority that I endorse. My distrust of other human beings is only surmounted by my hatred of disorganisation. And it is completely rational, because I've seen what people call 'driving', it's ridiculous.

In fact, watch some of those shows about traffic police in the UK from time to time, and you'll realise what is actually going on out there. Or just get in a car and drive. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if there was no enforcement arm out there? Of course I know that you realise, because you, Taxizen, are a taxi driver, according to your PoFo profile, so you have probably seen every kind of idiotic thing that happens on British roads by now.

So don't look at me like I'm saying something 'irrational'. You know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about, because you drive in this bullshit much more than I do.
taxizen wrote:So you agree that the government is the worst violator of property rights. Good. Let's move on. (see I can play those little games too. )

No games. Courts protect property rights.

The fun thing is it rarely happens. It is bad for business after all to cheat a trade partner. If a dealer sells me hash claiming it is proper potent stuff but turns out to be seriously dilute then I'm not going to use him again and I'll tell all my dope fiend friends about it and they won't use him again either and then he loses out more than me. If I promise to pay the baby sitter but then with some lame excuse don't, she won't come again and she will tell her baby sitter mates about it and her parents and all the neighbours and then next time I want to treat the wife to a show, I'll find I have to cancel because no one will look after the baby and I lose out more than the baby sitter. The market has its own way of correcting bad players.

You can do all of these things in the white market and also have your property rights protected.
Rei Murasame wrote:There is no pejorative spin that can get me to change my mind on this. I prefer to support building a state that can manage these basic things, because I have things to do and I want to reduce the chances that someone will kill me in a road accident.

I can't make a negligent driver pay if I'm dead, no matter how careful a driver I am.

Perhaps the answer to this thread is that the 'psychology of statism', if one exists, is that I don't trust people to do what they are supposed to do, unless some authority is watching over them with a stick. Preferably an authority that I endorse. My distrust of other human beings is only surmounted by my hatred of disorganisation. And it is completely rational, because I've seen what people call 'driving', it's ridiculous.

In fact, watch some of those shows about traffic police in the UK from time to time, and you'll realise what is actually going on out there. Or just get in a car and drive. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if there was no enforcement arm out there? Of course I know that you realise, because you, Taxizen, are a taxi driver, according to your PoFo profile, so you have probably seen every kind of idiotic thing that happens on British roads by now.

So don't look at me like I'm saying something 'irrational'. You know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about, because you drive in this bullshit much more than I do.

To be fair to you Rei you are raising a pretty reasonable argument with the road safety angle which anti-libertarians strangely don't use very often on the subject of roads; seemingly they prefer to question non-governmental organisations ability to make roads, like there is some kind of magic to slopping down some tarmac.

And here is my answer to your very good point. Libertarians distinguish between law and policy. Law is very simple and its jurisdiction is universal: rightful owners are owed restitution for the harm they suffer from those that were the cause of it. Law has nothing to say until harm or loss occurs.

Policy is the contrived rules that owners formulate for their rightful property. Policy can be very complex and its jurisdiction is only within consenting participants and their property but it can also proscribe actions that are not in themselves unlawful. I see in the context of road safety you are not satisfied with law as you anticipate that it will be small comfort that you would be owed restitution if you and your cute car were smashed flat by some idiot in a van especially if you did not live to receive it. You would prefer that idiot and his van wasn't anywhere near you and your cute car in the first place. Being an idiot isn't unlawful, nor is owning a van without brakes, or even driving a van without brakes, only in the event of a harm or loss being actually realised has law something to say. So yes law is not enough for you.

Policy will come to your rescue. The road owners in a libertarian society will likely want to please customers such as yourself who prefer not to share the road with dangerous incompetents. So they will formulate enforceable policy for the conduct of users of their road which likely will include some proof of driving competence and vehicle safety before the user can even get on the road. You might say at this point "so how is that any different from what we have now with state management of road policy?". There are two differences: one is moral and the other is economic:

1. The state is not a rightful owner of the roads, therefore its policy is not rightfully enforceable.
2. The state has no incentive to please or provide value for money to the users of the roads as it obtains funding through force rather than contract.
The best way to respond to you is by the use of examples now, since you've just told me what the basic conception of 'libertarian law' is. The reason that I choose to go with road safety rather than with road construction, is because I know that roads are constructed by private companies in accordance with the centralised specifications and codes laid down by the state, and the state is a the customer that is contracting that work.

The state is an amalgamation of ruling class interests, and road safety is such a basic thing that pretty much every state in every epoch of every ideology, uses the exact same argument to justify itself on that issue, and I have yet to come across anyone that can withstand it once they've been shown it. I first realised the power of this argument when I realised the police in the UK, and police in the DPRK, both used the exact same argument for their own existence as traffic police. When I realised that, I realised that I had just found a universally applicable 'statist' argument.

The argument is that contrary to 'libertarian law', enforcing road safety actually demands and requires the initiation of force in order for it to be effective.

You say:
taxizen wrote:Law is very simple and its jurisdiction is universal: rightful owners are owed restitution for the harm they suffer from those that were the cause of it. Law has nothing to say until harm or loss occurs.

This would end in disaster. You claim that policy would come to the rescue. My question then is by what policy you would be able to deal with the following imminent threats:

• The driver of an LGV or HGV is texting on his phone while driving on a dual carriageway.

• A person driving a lorry has transitioned from one jurisdiction into another jurisdiction simply by turning off onto another road. He may or may not be breaking a policy in one or both jurisdictions, but before anyone can check, he's turned off onto another private road with different policies.

• A 24 year old male in libertopia takes a pint of lager and drinks it, smokes some weed which is perfectly legal in libertopia, and fearlessly gets into his car and drives onto a B-road at 0300 in the morning. Because alcohol and cannabis interact in a special way, the 24 year old has boundless confidence, elements of basic driving competence, but actually lacks one crucial ability. The ability to do 'tracking'. This means that on the first bend he encounters, he will drift over the centre-line. If no one can legally remove him and his car from the road for any 'victimless offence' involved in all this, it means that everyone has to wait for him to have a head-on collision with someone else on a corner in the dark, in order for action to be taken.

• A company cutting corners on van maintenance is operating a van that has brakes that may be failing, but in libertopia different jurisdictions have different standards which create confusion, and no one is there to scan number plates to grab people who haven't had an MOT anymore, so that dangerous van can essentially drive and drive until it actually has an accident.

• A 37 year old male paedophile on cocaine driving without a licence or insurance in an old Vauxhall Astra, is spotted crossing from a roundabout into a residential area during the summer holidays when children are out playing at 1100. Of course, no one can actually see this information about him, because those things are not visible with the naked eye. All you can see is what he looks like, the fact that the car is an old Astra, and that the man is not wearing his seatbelt. In a 'statist' environment, particularly states like the UK, and Japan, they follow a profiling concept of 'one thing leads to another'. That is to say, someone who fits the profile of a suspicious person - male, on the road at 1100, turning into a residential area, driving too slow, driving a non-respectable car - and is breaking a law by not wearing a seatbelt, may be a person worth pulling over. Because once you get their car door open and take them on the seatbelt issue and run their details, you might find out all the other stuff that you couldn't see at first. Police actually do that as a tactic for catching people. But in libertopia, none of that happens, and this suspect goes on his way unimpeded and unsearched, to do something bad to someone, somewhere, and cause untold grief and suffering.

• A man is spotted hopping on one leg and growling at 2300 on a side road in an out of the way town with very few residents. He is actually a crazy person on bath salts and PCP. In libertopia, he bounces along on his way without being stopped by anyone, because no-one can aggress against him until he finally aggresses against someone else.

• Someone approaches a roundabout in a car and completely fails to negotiate the roundabout. They end up with their car in the centre of the roundabout. Since the person has caused no damage to anything other than their own car, there is no punishment whatsoever for this madness?

• A 20 year old male driving a car that his friend lent to him, a car which he is not insured to drive, drives the wrong way up a dual carriageway against oncoming traffic for 500 metres before turning into side road because he thought it would be cool and daring to make that kind of shortcut rather going up the correct side and then looping back as normal. No one was hurt. Normally, in a 'statist' society, that is a 'victimless crime' which quite rightfully results in a points penalty and a fine if caught, along with a search of the car, additional background checked, court proceedings, and maybe even a driving ban and car seizure. But in libertopia no one can do a damned thing about it, and that guy will run along and possibly do it again some other time until his luck runs out and he kills somebody's child.

I mean, I don't even have to follow this sort of stuff up with an argument. These examples are like arguments in and of themselves.

taxizen wrote:1. The state is not a rightful owner of the roads, therefore its policy is not rightfully enforceable.

Well, this the 'moral argument', but we obviously have very different morals. From my perspective, I know that 75% of road fatalities are caused by males between ages 18 and 25, or something close to that. The thing I am most interested in when it comes to roads, is not letting these people kill themselves and others.

It is such a simple request, to not be killed during the mundane act of travelling from one place to another place. It really is a simple request, and it's one that seems to inherently require the initiation of force.

taxizen wrote:2. The state has no incentive to please or provide value for money to the users of the roads as it obtains funding through force rather than contract.

The state has every incentive to run the road safety services that it runs, because economic interests run the state, and it is not in the rational best interest of the economic interests that control the state, to have transportation - a vital element of commerce - be like some kind of Russian roulette game.

The state is also a centralised body with a monopoly on a force and a mandate to pre-emptively charge people for committing offences before anything bad even happens. That makes the state as a concept, the absolute best tool for this kind of problem.
Rei - Your examples can be just as effectively be countered or mitigated by the non-state policy of road owners as they can be by state policy with the added virtue that the policy enforcers really have the right to make policy for the road and can explicitly have consent to enforce it from those on their property.

The only point in your examples that merits some attention is the point about policies differing from to road to road which on a practical level implies unnecessary complexity and hence confusion. However diverse road owners are likely to see advantage in subscribing to a common standard where it makes sense to do so. The other thing is that policies varying from one road or area to another actually has many benefits and actually already exists in many countries anyway without observable problems. In some parts of the US with a mature gun culture driving with a shotgun in your car is a ok, in other parts it is not. In central London there is a policy for an additional charge on vehicles entering the area meant to discourage people bringing vehicles into an already vehicle packed area. In rural Herefordshire there is no such policy. The benefits being that the effects of different policies can be compared against each other. Policies can more closely fit real world requirements which inevitably differ from one area and situation to another.

Okay that is enough of policy or rather I am going to try and warm you up on the idea of libertarian law rather than policy. First I'll pop some of the mystique of policy. We can very clearly see from your examples that policy isn't for intelligent, responsible and mature individuals it is for idiots and crazies. Competent people don't need to be told not to text whilst driving a lorry, or to take bath salts and pcp for a good time and all the rest. So what? Some people are crazy idiots so you gotta have policy even if it is just for them. Sure but you can never have a policy complex enough to pre-empt every possible stupidity and if you did no one could possibly have the time to know what any of it was even the people tasked with enforcing it and as the complexity grows the more likely the policy itself will become stupid and contradictory.

Policy itself has the insidious effect of making people stupid too. Why? Because policy becomes a substitute for sense. There is a nice scene from an Iranian film called "Secret Ballot" that illustrates this quite well. An electoral official is being escorted round a remote island by a guardsman in order to collect people's votes for an election. Various mishaps occur and they are quite late and in danger of missing their deadline. Then they are travelling a road across the desert when they come upon a traffic light alone in the desert. It is red. The guardsman stops the car and waits. The official is astonished "why don't you go, it is safe, there is nothing for miles?" she asks impatiently. The gaurdsman replies "No it would be wrong, it is the law, it will go green soon and then we go". They argue a bit and wait and then argue some more and wait, still it is red. Finally the official has had enough and she orders him to go through the red light. He replies reluctantly "well alright, it must still be broken, I thought they had fixed it".

I see this as a taxi driver quite a lot. I have seen accidents occur at lights because drivers are busy watching the traffic lights, sometimes the wrong lights, and not what other drivers are doing. Sometimes the lights go dark and then people actually have to look at what they and others are doing, usually they drive better then and traffic flows better too.

So why is simple law better? It leaves all the room in the world for intelligent discretion. It encourages and stimulates intelligent discretion.
So again we've arrived back where we started. You trust people not to do these things that they have a propensity to do, whereas I do not trust them at all.

Give me one good reason why I should trust people to intelligently do what they 'ought' to do on the road? I cannot even be sure that they are intelligent, and you asking me to trust that they are both intelligent and socially aware enough to understand what other drivers are doing in the absence of strict rules?
Homo Sapiens - it means "thinking man" or "wise man". Interesting neh? Birds are very stupid, rabbits are very stupid, wolves are very stupid yet we don't think they need policy to survive. Why should earth's wisest animal need such rules when rules are for fools? If you look at natural man who exists much removed from the policy of central planners, say the Amish, or so called primitive peoples then you see people that really live up to their designation as wise men. It is not natural for man to be stupid and crazy, something is making them ill so their natural intelligence is stunted and warped. I would argue that statism and statist policy ultimately is the cause of this disease of the mind. Thus a vicious circle occurs, statist policy is imposed which stunts mental development and hinders emotional maturation of man which in turn makes the man (and woman) into crazy idiots which in turn prompts and excuses policy makers for making even more policy which in consequence only deepens the imbecility. Round and round it goes until we are where we are and the wise ape is reduced to a drooling cretin.

We need to grow up, just this. To grow up one needs the mental space to grow, we need simple law that stimulates thought rather than stultifying policy that strangles the mind.
By Rich
taxizen wrote:Policy will come to your rescue. The road owners in a libertarian society will likely want to please customers such as yourself who prefer not to share the road with dangerous incompetents.
Ah I knew it, I knew it, Libertarians are really not as stupid as they first appear. They don't want to abolish government, they just want to privatise it.

You want to see the Libertarian dream look at Monaco. Is Monaco Libertarian, hardly the citizens or subjects are not even allowed to gamble in the Casino. This doesn't matter, all the bollocks about Liberty doesn't matter. All that matter is that Monaco is a private government run for the benefit for the rich. Libertarianism would be far more authoritarian than our current situation, all sorts of liberties would be taken by the owners, just another name for privatised government.

My apologies to women, to gay people, to practitioners of Pagan religions etc but if it was a choice I'd rather side with Taliban than see the world fall into Libertarian hands. Of course the world is in some ways already far to Libertarian, so for starters lets begin by wiping Monaco, the Channel Islands, San Marino and the like off the map.
Rich wrote:Ah I knew it, I knew it, Libertarians are really not as stupid as they first appear. They don't want to abolish government, they just want to privatise it.

You want to see the Libertarian dream look at Monaco. Is Monaco Libertarian, hardly the citizens or subjects are not even allowed to gamble in the Casino. This doesn't matter, all the bollocks about Liberty doesn't matter. All that matter is that Monaco is a private government run for the benefit for the rich. Libertarianism would be far more authoritarian than our current situation, all sorts of liberties would be taken by the owners, just another name for privatised government.

My apologies to women, to gay people, to practitioners of Pagan religions etc but if it was a choice I'd rather side with Taliban than see the world fall into Libertarian hands. Of course the world is in some ways already far to Libertarian, so for starters lets begin by wiping Monaco, the Channel Islands, San Marino and the like off the map.

I am sorry rich but I believe the Taliban wouldn't have you, you are too extremist. There is me trying to assure Rei that stupid and crazy is not mankind's natural condition and up pops rich to poop in the punch bowl.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emyxWqKDXG4 :lol[…]

In the West we're all fighting the Nazis Well […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

There is a guest lecture about this in that Ukrai[…]

@FiveofSwords A person's academic work should[…]