Christianity vs Libertarianism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Ok, fill me in here. Is religion (Christianity, especially) a direct conflict of Libertarianism, and an antithesis of such? And if this is not the case, what would the differences between a Libertarian and a moral Conservative (religious right) be?

I'd like to hear some contrasting opinions.
By enLight
Whether they conflicted or not, a Libertarian, as a matter of principle, would have to tolerate Christianity. Although, Christians may not always tolerate Libertarians (just like any other religious folk since they hold their way of life to be good).

I'd say any religion is not compatible with Libertariansism because they preach a single good way to live and shun all other exceptions. Libertarians do not. Religions provide rule and guidlines on how to live. Libertarians do not.

There are obviously pros and cons to each side.
By Todd D.
There is no conflict. I am a Catholic and a Libertarian, I simply believe that my morals are my morals, and that I do not have a right to enforce those morals on anyone else.
By Vivisekt
I agree with Todd, there is no conflict. Think of libertarianism as 'the path of least resistance', philosophically speaking. Tolerance is central to the ideology - and within it nothing is mutually exclusive. The belief of the individual is absolutely free to develop, unto itsself, so if one wanted to carry out his or her life according to the tenants of Christianity, they would be free to do so.

The only difference is that one is not able to impose his or her beliefs upon other adults who aren't interested.
By Korimyr the Rat
Libertarianism and Christianity have no innate conflict-- the conflict lies in some Christians' opinion that issues of morality should be regulated by the State.

Of course, since those Christians believe that you have to believe in State-regulated morality in order to be a "real" Christian, you could say that there is a conflict between the two-- but there are a number of Christians who would disagree.
By Maxim Litvinov
I think there is some sort of conflict. Because Catholicism for one teaches that God's morality *is* morality and that one cannot be saved but through him (depending on denomination). Therefore libertarianism goes against the idea of proselytizing and redeeming other people which is central to the Catholic message.

I can see how libertarianism is compatible with simply those that hold a fairly Catholic system of morality - ie. believe it is wrong to abort, marriage is for men & women etc - but if people genuinely also believe that their God will only save those who are taught about him and live by his covenant, then they really have an overarching moral duty to 'convert' others to this system, which cannot be supplanted by libertarianism.
By Noumenon
It depends on what kind of libertarian you are. I believe that as long as something does not violate another's rights, it is moral. Obviously, some conflict with religion there. But you don't have to believe that to be a libertarian. Take the issue of marijuana. You can still believe smoking marijuana is immoral because your religion says so, all you have to believe is that restricting people's freedom by banning it is more immoral.
By Liberal
The question that appears is the following: Is Christianity tolerant enough?
If it is, then, there should not be a greater problem and antagonism between Libertarianism and Christianity. This means that Christian fundamentalism (of any kind) is in conflict with Libertarianism.
By smashthestate
Maxim Litvinov wrote:which cannot be supplanted by libertarianism.

You're right, it has already beem supplanted in dozens of other countries by other systems. Around the world people join an organized religion purely on free will.

Under a libertarian government, they could spread the word all they wanted, until someone told them to get off their property, or that they simply weren't interested in the least. They can't force you to become a Catholic, and as far as I know, speaking (or spreading the word in their case) is not illegal.
By Comrade Ogilvy
It is not wrong to proselytize others in libertarianism (after all, what do we do?), as that is not an action which invokes force. Thus, there is no conflict between libertarianism and Christianity, with the exception of abortion (which remains so because libertarians are divided over whether or not a fetus is a human being).

The restrictions imposed by the IDF and Israeli go[…]

so upset at me for not wanting white people to n[…]

Note that my argument does not centre around not[…]

In order for me to believe someone is being sarca[…]