Drilling in Alaska - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Astaroth
I think that drilling in alaska is a mistake. what if Something went wrong? i mean there is a lot of habitat up there and oil very where on the ice would NOT be good.

I am not trying to be especially critical here, m8..but there seems to be a lack of perspective here in your statement. Environmentalists decry drilling in Alaska not because of potential mistakes...wells don't just bust open and make a mess like an oil tanker crashing into an iceberg...they do so because of the amount of infrastructure that has to be built on virgin natural land. This means dredging, bulldozing, levelling, clearing, etc...to make room for access roads and facilities and pipelines. However, as I have stated in an earlier post, new technology has GREATLY mitigated this problem and made the needed infrastructure very tiny and unobtrusive to the environment. Many of the environmentalist concerns have been addressed and solved, but many of these activists stick to the same arguments they had in the 80s. It's basically the effect of putting ones ideology above present fact and conditions--people will ignore the truth when they believe in something so much that they lose perspective. One example is the founder of Greenpeace who is now Greenpeace's greatest critic. He realizes that his work early on was very important, but things have come to a point where technology and environment can and must co-exist and this is occuring.

Astaroth
By clownboy
Thanks Astaroth.

I actually DID consider that, but then I thought NAH! - there's no way the big oil folks will go without profit. They would twist OPEC's arms off, and if OPEC didn't cooperate, they'd roll their own, and profits would continue.

All this wouldn't be good for the OPEC nations (or the controlling interests of such), but that too would be a bonus in my book. Another bonus, we wouldn't have to listen to that "blood for oil" nonsense anymore. :D

I was counting on the fact that it is near impossible to keep a good capitalist down. :lol:
By Astaroth
they'd roll their own

HAHA LMFAO...nice.
By Demosthenes
I don't like price controls for any reason short of monopolistic regulations. However I do like the spirit of clownboy's argument, me being an anti-OPECer and all. Let's not forget OPEC needs us, as much or even more than we need them...Imagine if all those US dollars dried up? Ohhhh they'd be in a pickle...Maybe they could bribe China to buy up the new surplus...HEH...

Anyway, Boon-

Redistribution of the wealth is kinda like taking away one asshole's baseball and giving it to another asshole. Historically speaking anyway. THe Elite will always be there, it's just a matter of whether they are gubment elite, or private, but as you say that is for another debate...

As far as the "French" being thrown around, I hit you with a spitball, but then you broke out the Saturday Night Special...Damn New Yorkers, always gotta be the center of attention :knife: :lol: One day you'll learn mon amei' (my french still sucks...)
By Astaroth
"Je suis un jauge d'huile"...I am a dipstick.

hehehe I used to be able to speak it, but it's not exactly 'le langue de la monde' or whatever hhaha

Demo, exactly right...OPEC needs us. They probably fit and scream at us just the same as we do of them. It's a nasty relationship. There is a culture in the pacific islands that when men meet each other they grab each other by the nuts when they speak. It is said that one can tell if the other is lying by what their nuts do! SERIOUSLY! I think the US/OPEC relationship is like that: got each other by the balls.

okay, that was random, but I figured I may get a laugh ;) hehehe
By clownboy
Astaroth wrote:"Je suis un jauge d'huile"...I am a dipstick.

hehehe I used to be able to speak it, but it's not exactly 'le langue de la monde' or whatever hhaha

Demo, exactly right...OPEC needs us. They probably fit and scream at us just the same as we do of them. It's a nasty relationship. There is a culture in the pacific islands that when men meet each other they grab each other by the nuts when they speak. It is said that one can tell if the other is lying by what their nuts do! SERIOUSLY! I think the US/OPEC relationship is like that: got each other by the balls.

okay, that was random, but I figured I may get a laugh ;) hehehe

Watch that finger! :eek:

Potem sounds a bit like a nazi to me. You have to[…]

@Pants-of-dog intent is, if anything, a key comp[…]

As for Zeihan, I didn't hear anything interesting[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

After the battle of Cannae, Rome was finished. It[…]