Robots/Droids For Law Enforcement/Military Applications? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I'm not quite sure if this belongs here, but anyway. What are your thoughts on using robots, or droids (think Terminator, Robocop, ED-209 droids, etc.) for applications in military, or law enforcement. Could this save a lot of lives? Would robots, droids, or cyborgs be the future for the battlefield? Could law enforcement use such things to prevent crime, and help people? Would these be more effective than having humans do it? And would it be safer?
By Korimyr the Rat
I'm fully in favor of automated weaponry on the battlefield.

As far as law enforcement goes, though, I'm not comfortable with anything more than automated cameras and radar guns, and even with those, I feel a strong need for human oversight. The Belgian speeder getting ticketed for driving Mach 1 in residential traffic is not something I'd like to extrapolate to automatic police response for, say, a domestic disturbance.
By Napuljun
Yes I agree with Korimyr the Rat about automated weaponary on the battlefield. But robots as police officers? Definietly no. Robots have no feelings, they will do exactly what their programs tell them to do and this may cause powerful people and officers to abuse from the robots. Abusing by humans is more difficult because you have to pay them, by robots you just have to program them.
World War II Day by Day

Legally dubious, but politically necessary. Not […]

Moldova has signed a security and defense pact wi[…]

Waiting for Starmer

All Tories are fuck-ups, whether they’re Blue or […]

Whistleblowers allege widespread abuses at Israel[…]