Battle of the Bulge effects - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I'm working on a mod concept for one of the Hearts of Iron games (yeah, I'm a lifeless nerd), and this may be a stupid question to ask since the Germans capturing Antwerp wouldn't really ensure a ceasefire on the Western Front, but I'll go ahead anyway.

If the Germans captured Antwerp and encircled the British armies in the process, for argument's sake even holding Antwerp for a long time, would the Allied position in the Western Front change? Meaning, would they be open for negotiations, and what would the conditions of the ceasefire be? I imagine one of the conditions would automatically involve Germany leaving at least Belgium, but the Americans would have an upper hand anyway and would ask for Germany's retreat from the Low Countries. Germany, in its fucked position, unless Hitler was completely and hopelessly retarded, would have to accept giving up Western Europe. Germany would probably end up under Soviet occupation as a whole, along with Italy and Austria.

What are your thoughts on this?
If the allied advance is delayed long enough (assuming the better arangement in the west allows more troops for the east) maybe the nazis could develop their jet planes to temporarily turn the tide. No matter what they would run out of fuel eventually so this war would probably end with the nuking of berlin.
Which HOI game? II or III?

Anyways, I don't think that allies will want Germany and Italy under Soviet Occupation. But it was the Bulge which made Soviets to start their Vistula Oder Offensive earlier than they had planned. If Germany are holding out in west, I will hope that Soviet Army will press their attack from oder to Berlin (unlike historically when they stopped at oder) forcing Germany to transfer troops from west to east.

Bulge lasted till 25 Jan and Vistula Oder 2 Feb. So, Germany really don't have any time left, End of 1944 and Beginning of 1945 is just too much to hope for any positive coming out from Germany pov.

A better scenario would be assassination of Hitler coupled with failure of Normandy Invasions for Germany to hope for peace with western allies ( A peace that might entail leaving all the gains made in west.)

Finally if I may ask, what is the concept of your mod?
fuser wrote:Which HOI game? II or III?

Darkest Hour.

Finally if I may ask, what is the concept of your mod?

Well, for this particular case, I'm thinking of making a small mod which will include events for alternate history outcomes. For example, if Germany controls Western Russia, it should get specific events, as the original DH lacks any sort of such alternate history events. I was thinking that if Germany controls Antwerp in 1945 for at least some time, it should get an event allowing it to establish a ceasefire with the Allies. But it's pretty dubious that would have ever happened in real life, so I don't know about this anymore. In any case, I'm currently working on a bigger mod with the premise being an Axis-dominated Europe in 1964, sort of like Fatherland.
I remember there was a mod (can't remember that mod's name) for HOI II where in 1944 there was a random chance for Hitler to be assassinated and if it happened, another random chance for making peace with western allies.

btw, get HOI III if nothing else then only for the hierarchical and realistic military command system and order of battles.

Finally if you are making a mod set up in 1964, you may wanna consider this for story line as in my honest opinion yours will look too much like fatherland with "US vs Germany", here you can have a superpower Germany vs a superpower Japan fighting all over the world and a very few country to work with too.

I would totally play it.

HoI III unfortunately doesn't work well on my piece of shit. I've heard it's very hard to mod, too.

This is the mod I'm working on. It's a bit different from Fatherland and The Man in the High Castle (been meaning to read the book) in that the Soviet Union still exists as an even more powerful entity after the German seizure of Western Russia. Three blocs dominate the world: US, European and South American Axis, and the Soviets. It's gonna take a while for it to get off the ground.
Actually I have played that mod (and iirc it starts with war between soviet and US) but not much as I soon moved to HOI III. But good work there preston.

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have said[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]