Need help exaplining " Nanking Massacre " - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hey everyone,

The Nanking Massacre from what I know was a very big ordeal, and granted I do not know too much about it.

Can someone write up something that I can explain to someone whom im trying to explain the Nanking massacre, mainly the bad things that have happened.

Mainly what would you say to someone that knows nothing about Nanking, and your main goal is to educate them on it, and the horrible things that the japanese did there.

Thanks, appreciate it
By THX40
The thing that sticks out in my mind the most about it is the fact that the Japanese military was so brutal that even the NAZIS were appalled by it and offered to mediate in order to end the killing.

-
By Lucko
Are you serious?

Is there anything on that?

But yea, I am looking for a write up I can explain to someone who thinks the japanese did not do many bad things, in response to lets say the dropping of the bomb.
By Potemkin
Start here, Lucko. The whole thing is actually well documented. And yes, even Nazi diplomats were so appalled by what they saw that they felt obliged to lodge a formal protest against the Japanese military's behaviour.
By THX40
Lucko wrote:Are you serious? Is there anything on that?.
Watch this WWII documentary at around the 1:45 mark, they briefly talk about Nanking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ddojagedog

Lucko wrote:But yea, I am looking for a write up I can explain to someone who thinks the japanese did not do many bad things, in response to lets say the dropping of the bomb

the Japanese slaughtered as many as 30 million Filipinos, Malays, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Indonesians and Burmese, at least 23 million of them ethnic Chinese. Both nations looted the countries they conquered on a monumental scale, though Japan plundered more, over a longer period, than the Nazis. Both conquerors enslaved millions and exploited them as forced labourers – and, in the case of the Japanese, as prostitutes for front-line troops. If you were a Nazi prisoner of war from Britain, America, Australia, New Zealand or Canada (but not Russia) you faced a 4 per cent chance of not surviving the war; the death rate for Allied POWs held by the Japanese was nearly 30 per cent. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n22/chalmers-johnson/the-looting-of-asia

-
By Garden-of-Fascism
It's also worth mentioning that it is an extremely touchy subject within Japan, many people will deny the whole thing, others will downplay it, and people have received death threats for talking about Japans role in it.

I wish I could remember this one really extreme case I saw a documentary about, the person ended up needing police protection.

Anyway, it's nasty as hell.
By Lucko
Hey great stuff everyone.

PLease keep it comming. I am suprised I never heard about this more. Almost on the same level as the Nazis
By THX40
Garden-of-Fascism wrote:It's also worth mentioning that it is an extremely touchy subject within Japan, many people will deny the whole thing, others will downplay it,.
That's very true. Unlike the Germans, the Japanese haven't been particularly good at honestly acknowledging their role in WWII.

-
By Potemkin
That's very true. Unlike the Germans, the Japanese haven't been particularly good at honestly acknowledging their role in WWII.

The post-war national myth in Japan is that the Japanese were victims of the war rather than aggressors. The firebombing of Tokyo and the atomic destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki helped them in that regard. There has been no working through of Japan's war guilt by any generation of Japanese since 1945, unlike in Germany.
By THX40
Potemkin wrote:The post-war national myth in Japan is that the Japanese were victims of the war rather than aggressors..
So I've heard. Well certainly rampaging across the Pacific, invading multiple countries and islands while killing tens of millions of people qualifies a nation as a "victim." :roll:

-
By Garden-of-Fascism
THX40 wrote: So I've heard. Well certainly rampaging across the Pacific, invading multiple countries and islands while killing tens of millions of people qualifies a nation as a "victim." :roll:

-

Ah, it ain't no big thang. :roll:

It doesn't astound me that they deny it really, plenty of idiots out there who deny things like this. It's the ferocity with which they do it and at all levels of their society, and like I said, that they go so far as to threaten the lives of people who speak negatively about Japan regarding these events. That is the crazy thing.
By Lucko
Has anyone wrote any books on it? Strange how its not as popular as certain events, and how people still think Japan was a victim.
By Garden-of-Fascism
This was part of a documentary I watched, I was younger at the time and it had quite an effect on me. Glad I could find it for you because this one is particularly brutal (to me).

Last edited by Garden-of-Fascism on 11 Oct 2010 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
By Zyx
Garden-of-Fascism wrote:It doesn't astound me that they deny it really, plenty of idiots out there who deny things like this. It's the ferocity with which they do it and at all levels of their society, and like I said, that they go so far as to threaten the lives of people who speak negatively about Japan regarding these events. That is the crazy thing.

More to the above point, we in the West paint the Nazis as pure evil to the point of dehumanizing them, though, in the case of chastising the Japanese and other actions, we can not factually claim them without humanity.

On the issue of Nanking, I do not believe that there is a better authority than the user cherry.
By SecretSquirrel
The rape of Nanking was one of the largest atrocities in history
By Lucko
I have always been passionate about the holocaust, and researching the dark times in our history....WHY have I not heard more about this?

Granted, iv heard of it, but never really looked into it.

There is hardly any books out there, hardly anything! Why???

Reading some of the first hand accounts is making me sick, and iv seen it all.

Thanks everyone for the replies, great stuff.

P.S. - I am going to write a paper on this - Can some of you give me some links with good documentation and information please?
By Potemkin
I have always been passionate about the holocaust, and researching the dark times in our history....WHY have I not heard more about this?

Granted, iv heard of it, but never really looked into it.

There is hardly any books out there, hardly anything! Why???

Basically, because it happened in China rather than in Europe. And the victims were not killed by Communists, so there was no propaganda value for the West in reminding anyone of the atrocities of Japan, which was one of the West's key allies during the Cold War.
By Garden-of-Fascism
Lucko wrote:P.S. - I am going to write a paper on this - Can some of you give me some links with good documentation and information please?

For school (University/Highschool)?

Don't be afraid to reference some things you find on youtube.
By Lucko
Yes, for university, and also for my self, and get it out there.

which led the Bolsheviks to detest any form of re[…]

^ I guess you meant Raqqa. How exactly don't we k[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times mo[…]

There were no barricades. Everyone was able to ac[…]