USA CUBA VIETNAM BERLIN - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By redstarline
I heard the opinion that if the USA had carried out its plan to invade Cuba after the Bay of Pigs humiliation, and succeded, the USA would have been less likely to become involved in Vietnam. The idea being that the hawks wanted a war and were denied one in Cuba so got one in Vietnam.
I am not convinced the USA would have had an easy time in Cuba, nor that it would have stopped US involvement in Vietnam.

Also how much was Berlin under threat of invasion during the missile crisis?

Any thought on the subject would be appreciated.
By Attila The Nun
Well, first of all, involvement in Vietnam happened for longer than involvement in Cuba. Second of all, the US wouldn't have dared invade Cuba ful on with it's troops, it was a high priority place for the Russians. And Berlin definitely drove up tensions between the two nations, causing US interest in both those nations.
By redstarline
The planned invasion was after the Bay of Pigs but before the military pact with the USSR. there were hawks who wanted to invade during the crisis and they almost had their way. Before the Cuban-Soviet pact there was less risk involved in invading Cuba, reflected in the fact the USA did invade at the Bay of Pigs.
Obviously any invasion during the crisis would have led to nuclear war with the USSR.
US involvemnet in Cuba has lasted since it first invaded in the island in the 19th Century, it is still involved today.
By Spin
there were hawks who wanted to invade during the crisis and they almost had their way.

Obviously an Oliver Stone fan.

I think that if the US had triumphed in Cuba then they certainly would have gone into Vietnam. It was in a strategically important area (SE Asia) and there was the Domino theory of course.

And as Triger pointed out, US intervention in Vietnam pre - dated the crisis.
By redstarline
Obviously an Oliver Stone fan.

no, not really. my choice of director doesnt affect the facts on record.
By Spin
Vietnam started long before the missile crisis.
By Luke
Sorry redstarline, but no.
By Ombrageux
If America got embroiled, and stuck, in Cuba. Then I don't think they would have gone to Cuba.
By Spin
Because they were already there...
By ComradeQSP
Obviously any invasion during the crisis would have led to nuclear war with the USSR.

I disagree. The Soviet Union wouldn't have been willing to end all human life over an invasion of Cuba.

-QSP
By Spin
Kruschev or hard liners? And does it matter what Moscow would have done since the Garrison commander may have fired his nukes anyway?

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]