Germany in 1930's - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By dktekno
After World War 1 , there was established a new treaty, the treaty of Versailles.

The treaty of Versailles was about to have Germany pay compensation for causing the war, but also alot about human rights, like no conscription and a lot of different civil rights.

Not only Hitler, but the general population hated everything in the treaty of Versailles. Not only the part that says Germany should pay compensation, but also the new world order which was about peace and liberty.

Before Hitler came to power, he said that it was wrong to abolish conscription, that they had to abolish civil rights and abolish democracy.

And then there was applause.

The people loved him for saying so. If you said such things in the 21th century you could be sure not to be elected.

But at that time, civil rights and liberties as we know it today was seen as a bad thing.

Why did people hate that so much? Even the french people agreed with the germans. Even the french people wanted to abolish democracy and freedom. Why?

Well, you could argue that the people did not like democracy because then too many un-educated people could get influence. But intellectuals and experts in various fields, like physicists, writers and other intellectuals was widely hated in Germany and France and Hitler wanted to kill all intellectuals, except those he could use for military research.

Hitler wanted to abolish civil rights and liberties, logical/reasonable politics and instead instate a new order based on "morals" and "feelings" and at the same time abolish democracy to ensure that only one moral-code would rule the country - and the people agreed with him fully.

Why did the people agree with him? What can turn the majority of the population against civil liberties and intellectuals?
By Maxim Litvinov
Good God. If I wanted to return to Year 8, then I'd catch a bus back to my old school. Haven't you got anything better to do than shit in these fora?
By MasterOfPuppets
Denko if you had to cart your life savings off to the supermarket to buy milk and bread you would be a little pissed off too.

The Versailles treaty not only sought reparations it denied the Germans any way off paying these by nullifying German patents (of which the Germans led the world in their chemical industries) and shipping all their resources to the west. Add to this the massive swath of territory ceded to Poland and you have a recipe for disaster.

That someone was going to capitalise on this situation was a given only the Allies were to busy counting the loot to realise what was happening. :)
Last edited by MasterOfPuppets on 24 Oct 2005 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
By Maxim Litvinov
if you had to cart your life savings off to the supermarket to buy milf and bread you would be a little pissed off too.

Quoted for brightening my day.
By Matthijs
It doesn't, but it does explain your original question(one that you would have known the answer to if you paid attention in elementary), which is the point of this topic, unless this was just another provocation of the imaginary Nazi population of this forum. So when did "states taking measures against intellectuals" become your major beef? I wouldn't worry about it too much, at least you can be certain it doesn't affect you. :lol:

@FiveofSwords Why will an accountant make a be[…]

What do the tweets say? Read them? They have ex[…]

Dude, YouTube is your source? You are not a serio[…]

World War II Day by Day

They are words that will always ring true. So lo[…]