The Continental Navy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Thoss
How significant was the Continental Navy during the American War for Independence? That is, to what extent did the Continental Navy affect the overall course of the war, the war at sea and the American victory?

Discuss.
By Thoss
I suggest that the Continental Navy was almost entirely irrelvent militarily, while symbolically, it was part of an overall appearance of nationhood that faciliated victory.

The symbol of nationhood, which, Navy's being a fixture of only the most powerful nations at the time, was a tool for the Second Contiental Congress to boost legitimacy in America and in the courts of Europe. Then, as we know, once the Imperial French Navy engaged the British in American waters, the Royal Navy was finally challenged, particularly at Chesepeake Bay 1781.

But, other than the symbol to itself and Europe, the USN was nothing to the British. The American privateers on the other hand, were almost like the American militia on land 'sand in the gears of the British war effort'. American privateers scored many prizes of British shipping.
By The Immortal Goon
John Barry, I believe, was the first (and possibly one of only a very few) to capture a British warship. There's a statue of him in Tacumshane, Ireland. That's about the beginning and the end of my early American naval knowledge.

-TIG :rockon:

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]