The Controverisal Election of 1888 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
President Cleveland was renominated unanimously by the Democratic convention in New York. The Republican convention that was held in 1888 nominated Benjamin Harrison on the eighth ballot. The election campaign itself was highly restrained with neither side actively campaigning. The major issue in the campaign was the issue of tariffs, with Harrison supporting a strong tariff policy as opposing Cleveland's policy of reducing tariff's. The election itself was very close with Cleveland winning the popular vote, but losing the electoral votes to Harrison. He lost New York's crucial 34 votes with the help of his old adversary the Tammany machine.

Democratic Covention

http://www.multied.com/elections/Conven ... 88DEM.html

Exposition Building St. Louis, Missouri

June 5 to 7, 1888

Nominated:Grover Cleveland, of New Hampshire for President
Nominated: Allan G Thurman, of Ohio for Vice President
For the first time since 1840 a Presidential candidate was nominated by unanimous acclamation. Mrs E. A. Merriwether of St Louis gave a speech at the convention in support of woman's suffrage.

Republican Convention
http://www.multied.com/elections/Conven ... 88Rep.html

Exposition Hall Chicago, IL

June 19 to 25, 1888
Nominated: Benjamin Harrison of Indiana for President
Nominated: Levi P Morton of New York for Vice President
When the convention opened there were twevle potential nominees. Many supported Blaine who had come close to defeating Cleveland in 1884. After eight ballots however the convention nominated Bemjamin Harrison. The Republicans in their platform strongly opposed any change in the tariff system, a change that had been proposed by the democrats

Electoral Votes
http://www.multied.com/elections/1888Elec.html

Popular Vote
http://www.multied.com/elections/1888pop.html

States Carried
http://www.multied.com/elections/1888state.html

By The Immortal Goon
There we are - the solid Republican strong-hold of the West Coast and New York :eh:

I always think it's interesting to go over this era of history because it's a bit of an enigma to me.

-TIG :rockon:
By | I, CWAS |
The Immortal Goon wrote:There we are - the solid Republican strong-hold of the West Coast and New York :eh:

I always think it's interesting to go over this era of history because it's a bit of an enigma to me.

Democrats were kings of the south until they started sticking up for equal rights and other evil things like that, and they dared help the poor. This chart still looks the same almost but now democrats are blue and republicans are red.
By The Immortal Goon
Yeah, I know - the Party of Lincoln and all that was still in sway. Bourgouis revolution in the US wiping out elements of the landed elite.

It's funny to see everything all switched from how one normally sees it.

Even the party's colors are reversed.

By Todd D.
Neo-Gnostic Libertine wrote:Democrats were kings of the south until they started sticking up for equal rights and other evil things like that, and they dared help the poor. This chart still looks the same almost but now democrats are blue and republicans are red.

Democrats have, traditionally, always tried to "help the poor" through welfare and such, that's the reason that most Christians broke (and despite what you want to believe, still break) for Democrats more than Republicans. Up until the Civl Rights movement in the 60's, the Democrats were extremely consistent with what had been labeled traditional Christian theology: pro-life, anti-homosexuality, pro welfare, pro social safety nets, etc. This is why most Catholics (who tend to be a bit more liberal than their fundamentalist counterparts) break about 2 to 1 for Democrats, not Republicans.

If you think about, really, aside from the Pro-Choice stance, what stance of the Democrats is inconsistent with Christian theology? Note, I said Christian theology, not Christian politics and bullshit accusations of "pro slavery" or "pro-discrimination".
By Comrade Ogilvy
The Immortal Goon wrote:There we are - the solid Republican strong-hold of the West Coast and New York :eh:

This was the time of Yankee industry. The US was industrializing at a furious pace, and northen industrialists desired protectionism. The GOP was the party of protectionism. While the South was also industrializing, it had started later and at a slower pace, as the South was more of an agricultural center, and it therefore desired free trade, which was represented by the Democrats. Monetary policy was also a dividing issue, with Republicans tending to favor an "elastic" monetary policy, which industrialists favored since credit creation basically redistributed wealth to them, whereas the Democrats supported "hard money", which Southerners desired for the stability, honesty, and value it brought.

Wrong. If anything, it's the sign of a mature, fu[…]

This is si.ply factually untrue. The population i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The arrogance of Volodymyr Zelensky is incredible.[…]

Are you having fun yet Potemkin? :lol: How coul[…]