Volkertafel: European stereotypes in 1725 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
We all know the usual stereotypes for people from various countries: Americans are fat, Russians are drunks, Mexicans are good dancers, Germans are cold, ... ect.

A friend of mine sent me this link to a chart painted in 1725 that shows characteristics of various european countries.
http://www.garten-eden.org/res.php?action=tafel

It's in German so I couldnt understand all of it,(maybe if you understand German you could translate more of it for us) but what I could read was pretty funny.

The most interesting description was for France. It says that their science is for war, their love is war, they spend their time betraying eachother, and their lives end in war. All this militaristic description and the picture of the french guy looks like some dandy with silk stockings and a wig.

Other funny descriptions were the engslish end their lives by drownding, Russians die in the snow, Turks die by being betrayed, and Germans die from booze (my favorite :lol: )

Whoever made this gave the Germans a pretty good description, and gave the Turks the worst. Germans are described as funny, their land as good, their characteristics as very good, spending their time drinking (that's still the same i guess), and the animal that represents them is a lion. Turks are described as wearing feminine clothes, being ruled by a tyrant, and diseased. Their animal is a cat.

Another funny thing was English religion was described as "changing like the moon".
By Mikolaj
I find things like this interesting. I wish I knew what it all said though. :( :?:
By CeilingCat
Yes we need a german to help us, my german sucks to much to read it all :*( .
By Zel
Very interesting, think I ve seen a version of it which includes a European map at a local pub.

It describes the way other people and their countries were seen at that time probably from the standpoint of a writer in Habsburg Austrian or other German lands (Edit: Ah ok overlooked the remark it was published in Styria)

Not surprisingly those countries that were at conflict with them or were deemed a future possibility to expand the empire were described with not that positive virtues while others were described more positivly.

The rulers part is quite funny

Spain: A monarch
France: A king
Wälisch (Think that means Walloon but i am unsure about that could be that all Lowlanders are meant): A Baeterarch (whatever that is?)
Germans: An Emperor
English: Soon one then another (probably refering to the English civil war)
Swedes: loyal ruler
Pole: An elected one
Hungarian: One they cant choose
Muscovite(Russian): A volunteer
Turks/Greeks: A Tyrant
Last edited by Zel on 11 Sep 2006 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
By Stipe
I've seen this before.

The most interesting thing in it is the "Turks or Greeks" part, basically conflating the two as though they were the same thing. Shows how Western imaginary geography has transformed since the 19th century so that we had in the last century people like Churchill proclaiming the "immortal glories" of Greece and positing it in the center of Western tradition.
By CeilingCat
They spend their time ...

Spain: ?playing games? (assuming spillen is old spelling for spielen)
France: betraying
Wälisch: chatting/gossiping
Germans: drinking
English: working
Swedes: eating
Pole: ??
Hungarian: ??
Muscovite(Russian): sleeping
Turks/Greeks: being sick
By Zel
Pole: quarreling
Hungarians: relaxing (in the lazy way)
By Red Star
This is great. Social psychology and perception through the ages is an interesting comparison to today.

We need more translations!
By Mikolaj
I would not have thought of any of these perceptions at all!

Things do change.
By CeilingCat
Things do change.

Indeed:
France 1725: War loving badasses who would like nothing more than to die in battle.
France 2006: ... What do you mean you can only send 200 troops to Lebanon? ...

More translations:

In science/learning they excell at ...

Spain: skilled/learned writers
France: war technology
Wälisch: authorities on spiritual/ecclesiastic matters
Germans: authorities on worldly matters
English: ?the world? (refering to geography maybe)
Swedes: Celebrating/happiness arts (whatever that means)
Pole: different languages
Hungarian: Latin languages (assuming Ladein is Latein)
Muscovite(Russian): ??
Turks/Greeks: false politics (refering to despotic ottoman govt. maybe)
By Red Star
No love for the Turks!
By Zel
Muscovite: greek language
By CeilingCat
I'm at work again so I'll have a go at another section.

They love ...

Spain: Rum
France: War
Wälisch: Gold
Germans: Drink
English: Lust/Sex
Swedes: Delicious Food
Pole: the Nobility/Royalty
Hungarian: Plotting/Sedition
Muscovite(Russian): ??
Turks/Greeks: Themselves

They usually die ...

Spain: ??
France: in war
Wälisch: in the Kloster/monasterey
Germans: from wine
English: in water
Swedes: on land
Pole: ?in a cage?
Hungarian: by the sword
Muscovite(Russian): in the snow
Turks/Greeks: by betrayal
By Red Star

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No sex please, we are English.
By Theodore
Spain: Rum

May I be stricken down by lightning if there is a drop of the stuff in Spain.

Hungarian: Plotting/Sedition

Someone mixed up things the English and the Hungarians love.

France: War

:knife: So cheese-eating surrender monkeys are actually cheese-eating warmonger monkeys?

:| No comment... it would be too easy.
By Red Star
So cheese-eating surrender monkeys are actually cheese-eating warmonger monkeys?

I know it is a joke, but the French military didn't just take part in the second world war.

Great news for Mexico! Congratulations, @Tainari[…]

The fact that you're a genocide denier is pretty […]

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]