Japan vs US 1900 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MB.
Who would have won in a war between Japan and the United States in 1900?
By GandalfTheGrey
In what situation? Obviously a lot depends on the definition of "won".

In almost any situation however, I would imagine the US would have won hands down.
By kami321
Unless the US got unlucky, which I can't predict but can always happen, US would have probably won. What would make you think otherwise?
By Thunderhawk
Japanese naval build up wasnt complete by 1900.
The cream of their navy that won in the Russo-Jap war were British made ships, which they got later.

As such, I expect the 2 sides would be on par in the Navy, with a slight edge to Americans as they have recent experiance.

The USA had just finished their Spanish-American war. If they could spin the war with Japan into public approval, they could get a host of veterans signing back up. Experiance would give then an initial ground advantage, and I suspect they would be able to capitalize on that rather well.

American hold over the Philippines was new and in a state of war with the locals. I see the Japanese fighting there with support from the natives.

Quality wise, the Japanese were sub-par. During the end of the Russo-Jap war the Japanese won many of the land conflicts, yet suffered high casualties largely against conscripted Russian peasants. American soldiers would be a mismash of veterans and new recruits - but they would have more then a couple hours of training the Russian peasants got, and would not have as many old school fools in command either.

Ultimately, USA wins.
But I suspect the Philippines would gain independence in the mean time, and need to be suppressed again or be lost.
By soron
Japan was strongly building up their military at that time, followed by victories against China ('04), Russia ('07) and the colonisation of Korea ('10).
I think both would have a chance. The ultimate outcome would probably have depended on where the war would take place since logistics was a bit more of a task 100 years ago.
By Thunderhawk
Japan was strongly building up their military at that time, followed by victories against China ('04), Russia ('07) and the colonisation of Korea ('10).

Alot of that really coming about after Japan and great Britain become allies. In 1900 Japan is on the path to power, but still pidly.
By Alfsigr
i dont think japan has ever had a chance of defeating the usa. even at their height in ww2, the us squashed them using 1/5th of thier capabilities, the rest being devoted to europe.

japans best bet would be to ally themselves to the native americans and slaughter the settlers as they arrived on the new world.
By MB.
The IJN 6:6 fleet of the turn of the century, coupled with the Anglo-Japanese allainces would have made the Japanese a formidable foe circa 1900.

I would suggest that in a colonial conflict the Japanese would win hands down. In a "total war" without British aid, I don't see how they could win.
By Thunderhawk
Mr. Bill, did you initially choose exactly 1900, or just circa 1900?

The alliance was in 1902
By Spin
With growing Anglo American trade, and a steadily improving relationship, would the British have supported the Japanese in 1900 against the Americans?
By MB.
The date was Circa. A specific date would have been Feb. 1904.
By Thunderhawk

The Japanese will have a better fleet then the USA in my opinion. If they blockade the USA fleet in the philippines I can see them having a reasonably easy run in the Pacific. They might even be able to take Hawaii.

The Philippines had been pacified by 1904 so Japanese actions there would not get large support IMO. Perhabs the USA will have less vets join, and offset by getting more recruits looking for glory - The USA pounded Spain and the Phillippines in living memory for many young adults. My assesment of the ground forces ability stays much the same.
By MB.
However, there were large American forces stationed on the Philippines. Surely any attempt by the Japanese to capture the islands would be met with crushing hostility.

Once the proto-Great White Fleet got under way and over to the Pacific we'd see a very different situation in terms of naval forces. The Japanese would be totaly out-numbered. However, I feel we'd bee seeing some kind of Tsushima like battle take place anyway, given that the American Atlantic Fleet basically replaces the role of the Russian Second Pacific Fleet.
By Thoss
However, I feel we'd bee seeing some kind of Tsushima like battle take place anyway, given that the American Atlantic Fleet basically replaces the role of the Russian Second Pacific Fleet.

But would a decsive Tsushima style victory against the US Navy send the Americans to the negiotating table like the Russians or would they continue to slug it out in the pacific?
By Thunderhawk
However, there were large American forces stationed on the Philippines. Surely any attempt by the Japanese to capture the islands would be met with crushing hostility.

Absolutely.

Where else can they strike that is of value?
Guam?
Hawaii?

Did the Japanese have troop transports that could cover such distances with enough troops to acctually take and hold those territories ?
By MB.
But would a decsive Tsushima style victory against the US Navy send the Americans to the negiotating table like the Russians or would they continue to slug it out in the pacific?

Good question. using the WWII parallel one can get some idea: would the Americans have given up if Midway had been a Japanese victory?

Probably not. But what separates the two besides 40 years? ideology. Imperial America of 1905 may have been able to accept a defeat from an another Imperial Empire given that two much isn't lost. For example, the US can still fall back on the victorious 1898 war for prestige. If the Japanese don't ask for much, America, swollen with territorial gains, would surely accept loss.
By Thunderhawk
If the Japanese don't ask for much, America, swollen with territorial gains, would surely accept loss.

What could Japan ask for that would be worth while?
By MB.
Uhm, The Philipines?
By Thunderhawk
Uhm, The Philipines?

I think it would take a bit more then a single Tsushima style victory.

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

@Istanbuller You are operating out of extreme[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Afhanistan and South Korea defeated communists. […]