Reading for Conservatives... The Central Bank Problem. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Nets
And, along with executive policy validation... going to cause our "recession" to hurt for several magnitudes longer and deeper.

I disagree, I think Fed policy turned what was potentially a depression into a painful recession.

Inflation and inflation prospects are low. If anything I think the Fed is being too hawkish on inflation (signalling interest rate increases down the road). If the banks had collapsed we'd be back in 1929, no question in my mind.

Now, yes, I agree with the argument that the banks need more regulation, more supervision, and the "too big to fail" phenomenon has to go. But injecting the funds that the Fed did was in my view the right decision.

Letting Lehman collapse was probably a mistake in retrospect considering the panic in the markets that followed it (well the panic didn't directly follow the collapse of Lehman, it followed the Fed/Congress squabbling the next day). But the money supply would have shrank precipitously if the Fed hadn't boosted total reserves as it did. That would have meant a depression, IMO.
By DanDaMan
Quote:
And, along with executive policy validation... going to cause our "recession" to hurt for several magnitudes longer and deeper.
I disagree, I think Fed policy turned what was potentially a depression into a painful recession.
We are not out of the woods.
Our children will soon be burdened with bailing out the 8th largest economy in the world, California.
Within the next two to three years things will be twice as bad.
All of this mess is because elitists think they can change the laws of physics so that what goes up does not come down.
By JohnRawls
Nets i got a question. Who regulates m3 money in america ? ( You explained m2 already so don't explain that again )

And if they are not regulated by institutions but by laws , can you name the laws please .

And what are long term possibilities of that list increasing since the crisis . Since obviously there has been a lot of talk about it in the economical circles but as a lawyer i really would like to know since i am gonna write a research paper on the subject soon about banking law which includes banks and many other judicial entities which might serve a variety of purposes.
By Nets
^ Why does M3 matter that much? The Fed, at least, doesn't measure it anymore and hasn't thought about it in decades.
By JohnRawls
As i said , i am going to write a research paper soon about banking law and regulations in america interest me to some extent and m3 , if i am not mistaken , has a lot to do with the current crysis . Since part of my research paper gonna be 'the possibilities of development of banking law' this info would be interesting to know .

If i am not mistaken m3 = m2 + is mostly long term deposits and stock market stuff. ( I had only basic economy in the uni , so you have to be patient with the economically less literate me :( )

As to why it matters , as i said , wasn't it one of the reasons that the crysis happened ? That it wasn't regulated enough ?

Well i can be mistaking here once again .

Actually, I’m a Communist. An orthodox Marxist-Le[…]

@Pants-of-dog intent is, if anything, a key comp[…]

As for Zeihan, I didn't hear anything interesting[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

After the battle of Cannae, Rome was finished. It[…]