What sane Republican would welcome more endless immigration? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Emerald Ocean wrote:The history of my country is already being rewritten... the only difference is that white people (my ancestors) are now the bad guys:

[youtube]9DviNNxaJJk[/youtube]

If beliefs like these are going to be the new "norm" in a brown America, then we are going to have problems.

Well you learn something new every day. Why on Earth would America celebrate Columbus day? The guy was a demented fanatic. Is it not reasonable to assume that if Columbus had not discovered America more of both Europe and the Americas would have become Protestant. Spain's early land grab and its rise in power delayed English colonisation of North America by a hundred years. English and French Fishermen would have discovered the Americas via new Newfoundland soon enough, some argue that they already had. Without Columbus, Spain might have focussed a lot more of their energy on liberating North Africa from the Muslim darkness. Columbus's discovery was one of the greatest tragedies in history. Who knows how things would have gone otherwise, but the horrors of twentieth century Europe were surely contingent on Columbus.
Last edited by Rich on 04 May 2012 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Rei Murasame wrote:You can let them into your country if you want, just don't pretend that you're doing them some great favour. Trying to make as though your policy helps anyone other that large companies, is where the deception is.

Oh I see so you think increasing their living standards, making them happier, and making them be more wealthy isn't a favor/helping them.
Could you plz explain why you support policies that make millions poorer, less happy and have crappier lives?
Rich wrote:Well you learn something new every day. Why on Earth would America celebrate Columbus day? The guy was a demented fanatic. Is it not reasonable to assume that if Columbus had not discovered America more of both Europe and the Americas would have become Protestant. Spain's early land grab and its rise in power delayed English colonisation of North America by a hundred years. English and French Fishermen would have discovered the Americas via new Newfoundland soon enough, some argue that they already had. Without Columbus, Spain might have focussed a lot more of their energy on liberating North Africa from the Muslim darkness. Columbus's discovery was one of the greatest tragedies in history. Who knows how things would have gone otherwise, but the horrors of twentieth century Europe were surely contingent on Columbus.

That is pure revisionism. We are told that Columbus is evil now, because he is the epitome of a "white oppressor". Marxist "indigenous" advocates love Columbus because they will use his legacy as another means to force government into some extra hand out for people of color, once the day comes when people of color have the numerical majority to do so in government.
starcraftzzz wrote:Oh I see so you think increasing their living standards, making them happier, and making them be more wealthy isn't a favor/helping them.

Oh, I see that you think that blowing up half the infrastructure in Vietnam, Iraq, Cambodia, or wherever else, just for example, and then inviting them into your country to work as your servants, is 'increasing their living standards' and 'making them be more wealthy'? :lol:

starcraftzzz wrote:Could you plz explain why you support policies that make millions poorer, less happy and have crappier lives?

Could you please explain why you think you can bomb happiness into developing countries, and why you think that they ought to greet you with flowers and happily seek jobs in your country? Honestly this almost sounds like the logic of Donald Rumsfeld, just from the other side of the aisle?
I try not to make the mistake of believing anything other than this.

Illegal immigrants are here because the large corporations need virtual slave laborers. If we wanted even to seriously limit illegal immigration we would enforce the laws already on the books which target people who hire illegals. In the couple of states where this has been done illegals flee by the thousands.

While I freely admit that some illegals may improve their lot here the real solution to poverty in Mexico (for example) lies in Mexico. Not the streets of Phoenix.
Rei Murasame wrote:--------Oh I see so you think increasing their living standards, making them happier, and making them be more wealthy isn't a favor/helping them.------
Oh, I see that you think that blowing up half the infrastructure in Vietnam, Iraq, Cambodia, or wherever else, just for example, and then inviting them into your country to work as your servants, is 'increasing their living standards' and 'making them be more wealthy'? :lol:

So according to you allowing immigration equals bombing countries. Go to dictionary.com to learn the difference.

Rei Murasame wrote:-----Could you plz explain why you support policies that make millions poorer, less happy and have crappier lives?------
Could you please explain why you think you can bomb happiness into developing countries, and why you think that they ought to greet you with flowers and happily seek jobs in your country? Honestly this almost sounds like the logic of Donald Rumsfeld, just from the other side of the aisle?

Plz quote where I said "bombing people makes them happier."
So i ask again why do you support policies that make people poorer, less happy and have shittier lives.

Rei Murasame wrote:That is well said. I may get very irate and abrasive, but Dr Lee has said it in a way that is basically nicer.

If more people took your stance as their own, Dr Lee, North America and Latin America would both be better places.

Yes making it so people in Latin American are poorer is totally going to make it a better place...
Last edited by starcraftzzz on 05 May 2012 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Drlee wrote:I try not to make the mistake of believing anything other than this.

Illegal immigrants are here because the large corporations need virtual slave laborers. If we wanted even to seriously limit illegal immigration we would enforce the laws already on the books which target people who hire illegals. In the couple of states where this has been done illegals flee by the thousands.

While I freely admit that some illegals may improve their lot here the real solution to poverty in Mexico (for example) lies in Mexico. Not the streets of Phoenix.

So according to you impoverished people moving and getting a better paying job does not alleviate poverty...
So according to you impoverished people moving and getting a better paying job does not alleviate poverty

Read my post.

Then think about it.

THEN post.

It will make you appear far wiser.
Rei Murasame wrote:----------Yes making it so people in Latin American are poorer is totally going to make it a better place...------
They aren't even in Latin America anymore if you have them all in your country picking strawberries at minimum wage for you. It's like you can't even admit that you are the exploiter in that relationship.

I see so according to you them working here and getting paid more then they would down south means they are worse off.
Perhaps if you thought before posting your posts would not be so ridiculously... Ill stop there
Last edited by starcraftzzz on 05 May 2012 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Drlee wrote:------So according to you impoverished people moving and getting a better paying job does not alleviate poverty--------...

Read my post.

Then think about it.

THEN post.

It will make you appear far wiser.

Illegal immigrants are here because the large corporations need virtual slave laborers. Does this mean that immigrants move he because large corporations make them? If we wanted even to seriously limit illegal immigration we would enforce the laws already on the books which target people who hire illegals. In the couple of states where this has been done illegals flee by the thousands.So making immigrants lives so shitty that they have to flee to a shitty life is an accomplishment?

While I freely admit that some illegals may improve their lot here the real solution to poverty in Mexico (for example) lies in Mexico. Not the streets of Phoenix.So what you are saying is that the real solution to poverty in Mexico doesn't include increasing the living standards of people from Mexico IE allowing immigration. Mexican immigrants lives are so much better in American that they are able top send billions to Mexico to help out Mexicans. So plz tell me why Mexico having more money is a good thing for Mexico.

Don't say such ridiculous things if you are to inadequate to admit it
starcraftzzz wrote:Does this mean that immigrants move he because large corporations make them?

Yes.

starcraftzzz wrote:Mexican immigrants lives are so much better in American that they are able top send billions to Mexico to help out Mexicans.

Who did you copy that argument from, Jeb Bush?
Last edited by Rei Murasame on 05 May 2012 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Rei Murasame wrote:I won't stop there though, I'll call your position a position a position that is utterly reactionary and retarded. This is the reason that people hate your country, you think you are the gift to the earth when in fact you are actually the root of the problem.

Oh I see so according to you improving peoples lives is retarded.
I see according to you American making peoples lives better via immigration results in people hating American.
Notice with every post you have to abandon the stupid things you say and then go on so other random tangent that again has to be abandoned because it is shown to be retarded.
Plz respond when you argument isn't something like,"allowing immigration means you support bombing other countries," or "making peoples lives better is bad".
The reason I'm just moving to different issues all the time, is because all of your responses are lame, and I think you know that they are lame. So I just move to my next point immediately afterwards.

For instance, my next question to you would be to ask you why you think that having every peasant farmer in Mexico going bankrupt (because of NAFTA), was a 'good thing', and why having them all in your country working for a pittance was somehow better than allowing them to work for better wages developing their own country?

Or do you think that Mexicans are too stupid to build their own industries without your 'help'?

Also, you are in a thread where you are defending Republicans, therefore your position is retarded by default, since the Republican party is staffed by retards and their policies are as retarded as their capitalist logic is. Basically, everything that you are trying to do in this thread is completely stupid, and I'm deliberately trying to use you as a punching bag because of it.
Rei Murasame wrote:------Does this mean that immigrants move here because large corporations make them?-----
Yes.

Plz provide us with some evidence of Corporations forcing or even shipping illegals to America

Rei Murasame wrote:----------------Mexican immigrants lives are so much better in American that they are able top send billions to Mexico to help out Mexicans.-----------------------
Who did you copy that argument from, Jeb Bush?

See this is the problem you think reality is an argument

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01756.html
"A report released yesterday by the Inter-American Development Bank estimates that immigrants living in the United States will send $45 billion to family members this year, representing a steady increase from about $2 billion in 1980.
We know that this is a very important poverty-alleviation program for 20 million families [in Latin America and the Caribbean],"
ad_icon

About $3 billion in remittances will go to El Salvador this year, or about 15 percent of that country's gross domestic product
"
Also note that in 2010 they sent 70billion home
http://www.examiner.com/article/as-u-s- ... -back-home
Last edited by starcraftzzz on 05 May 2012 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
This will be a double-post, since you are taking too long to answer that.
starcraftzzz wrote:See this is the problem you think reality is an argument

More like you are out of touch with reality. I guess that I'll now actually show a document and graduate this thing to 'hardball':
University of Iowa Centre for International Finance and Development, 'Has NAFTA Contributed to Economic Development in Mexico?' (emphasis) wrote:Has NAFTA Contributed to Economic Development in Mexico?

In the first half of the 1990s the North American Free Trade Agreement among Canada, Mexico and the United States (NAFTA) was widely discussed and received significant public attention in all three countries. Government officials, NGOs, firms, chambers of commerce, trade unions, and the academy, particularly economists, opined widely on the pros and cons of NAFTA. The intensity and breadth of the initial debate has since declined substantially.

The main objective of this Perspective is to discuss the impact of NAFTA on Mexico’s economy. Whereas most of the debate to date has centered on generalities along polarized extremes – either for free trade or against neoliberalism, this Perspective analyzes the increasing process of integration between Mexico and the U.S., as well as specific economic issues concerning Mexico’s economic development in recent years. The first part analyzes the general context of Mexico’s economy before NAFTA, as it is not possible to examine the impact of NAFTA without understanding the significant socioeconomic and structural changes of Mexico’s economy since 1988. The second part examines some of the more salient effects of NAFTA on Mexico’s economy.

General Aspects

It is necessary to remember that at the end of the 1980s, the Mexican government began a new development strategy–a policy related to export-oriented industrialization, often referred to as economic liberalization strategy - which to date has been followed consistently. This liberalization strategy in place since 1988 assumes that the export-oriented private manufacturing sector will allow for growth and development. Concurrently, the state was to reduce significantly its socioeconomic activities (“lean state”) and opted to concentrate on macroeconomic policies: the control of inflation and the fiscal deficit, as well as the attraction of foreign investments as the main financing source for the new strategy. In general, the new socioeconomic policy should be of “horizontal or neutral” character, i.e. affecting all households, firms, sectors and regions equally (Aspe Armella 1993; Dussel Peters 2000).

Consistent with its prior notion of development, the government of Mexico has changed substantially its socioeconomic policy since the end of the 1980s, particularly as compared to policies during 1940-1982: state-owned enterprises were massively sold to the private sector, foreign investment laws were almost completely liberalized, communal land-property was allowed to be sold, and import tariffs fell from levels above 200% to a maximum of 20%. Adding to these quick and profound changes, development banking and sector financing were relegated to the commercial financial sector. Those prior policies are consistent with the objective of reducing the fiscal deficit, as well as with generating “horizontal” policies.

What are some of the main effects of this strategy since its implementation? It is important, first, to recognize that the strategy has been successful in its own terms . As a result, inflation rates have fallen, with the exception of 1995-1996, to levels below 20% during the 1990s –considering inflation rates above 160% during the 1980s-, whereas the fiscal deficit has been reduced substantially and has even generated a surplus in some years. Finally, foreign direct investment (FDI) has accounted annually on average for more than 9.5 billion pesos during 1994-2000. However, the main structural change of Mexico’s economy was reflected in the impressive export growth in absolute and relative terms in respect to GDP. For the period 1988-2000, exports increased from 20.6 billion to 166 billion pesos, with an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 19%. Further, exports as a share of GDP increased from levels below 15% to levels of around 30% at the end of the 1990s. From this perspective, manufacturing exports –which account for 90% of total exports at the end of the 1990s- have become the only engine of growth of the Mexican economy since 1988.

In spite of the prior effects, Mexico’s economy has reflected several structural limitations, including2:

• In general, Mexico’s economy has gone through an increasing process of economic, social and regional polarization. As a result, since 1988, only a relatively small number of firms, households, sectors and regions have been able to benefit from the process of globalization and liberalization.

• While exports have become the main and only engine of GDP, they have concentrated in a small number of firms: 300 exporting firms and around 3,500 maquiladoras have generated more than 95% of total exports during 1993-1999, while the rest of the 3.1 million firms’ exports accounted for less than 5%.

• During the 1990s, the Mexican economy has generated in average around 500,000 jobs annually, while the economically active population (EAP) has increased by around 1.3 million, that is, around 800,000 persons annually were not able to find a formal job in Mexico and had to migrate to the U.S. and/or to find employment in the informal sector. The main exporting firms and maquiladoras employed around 5% of the EAP and were not able to generate employment at the required levels.

• The overvalued exchange rate –estimated at around 25% and 30% in 2000 and at levels similar to those before the crisis of 1995 (CEPAL 2000)- has become a constant of liberalization strategy as a result of controlling the inflation level. Exports have lost and imports have benefited, since a stronger Mexican peso allows for cheaper imports and more expensive exports. Particularly micro, small and medium firms (MSMF) have lost, because they must compete with relatively cheap imports.

• During the 1990s the commercial financial sector in Mexico, privatized at the beginning of the decade, has been far from accomplishing its main goal: to provide resources to the productive sector in Mexico. Until 2000 financing to the private sector from the commercial banking sector –as a share of GDP- has fallen continuously since the crisis of 1995 and accounted for 23% of financing in 1994. As a result, all firms that depend on the Mexican financial sector–with the exception of a segment of the export-oriented sector that is able to issue bonds and other financial instruments in international markets- have had serious problems obtaining resources, which added to the high costs of credits.
    Manufacturing accounted for 4.8% AAGR of GDP during 1988-2000, and significantly higher than total economy, of 3.2%. However, this sector has constantly achieved high trade deficits. Since 1988, when import liberalization and the new strategy began, the ratio of trade deficit to GDP has increased from levels below 14% to levels above 30% in 1994, fell as a result of the crisis of 1995 and accounts for levels above 20% in the late 1990s. The prior tendency reflects, on the one hand, that structurally the manufacturing sector, the engine of liberalization strategy, requires increasing net imports, in order to grow as a fraction of GDP and exports, which results in significant ruptures of linkages with the national economy. On the other hand, manufacturing was the main source of the crisis of 1994-1995, accounting for a trade deficit of 32 billion in 1994. Massive bond issuance by the Mexican government in 1994 was a result of manufacturing sector’s performance, since the government did not account for significant fiscal deficit during the 1990s.

• Finally, there have been many victims of the development strategy. On the one hand, micro, small and medium firms have lost significantly: their share over total employment in manufacturing, for example, fell from levels above 51% in the beginning of the 1990s to levels below 42% at the end of the 1990s. Moreover, real minimum wages and wages in manufacturing in 2000 represent less than 30% and 60% of their levels of 1980, respectively. Added to regional polarization –if compared to Mexico City, GDP per capita income in states such as Chiapas, Guerrero, Hidalgo and Oaxaca represents less than 20% in 1998, with a falling tendency since the 1970s-, income distribution has worsened and has mainly benefited the highest and richest 20% of Mexico’s population.

The Impact of NAFTA on Mexico’s Economy

From this perspective, NAFTA has become an important instrument of the Mexican government and its implemented strategy since 1988: if the private export-oriented manufacturing sector was to be the main growth engine, the sector required a relatively secure export market. Otherwise, and even assuming that Mexico would have been able to increase its exports, the strategy would have failed.

From the Mexican government’s perspective, expectations were very high regarding NAFTA: it was to produce new jobs, higher wages, higher economic efficiency through free trade, as well as better growth and development opportunities, added to an increasing economic and political stability. It has to be stressed that, at the same day NAFTA was implemented, January 1, 1994, the Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional (EZLN) began its upraising in Chiapas, which reflects the highly socioeconomically polarized context of Mexico.

What has been the main impact of NAFTA in Mexico?3 Strictly in its own terms –as an agreement between three countries regarding trade and investment issues- NAFTA has been relatively successful, and accomplished much more than expected. In general terms:

• FDI from the U.S. to Mexico has increased substantially, from 4.7 billion in 1994 to levels above 5.8 billion since 1997. As a result, FDI from the U.S. accounts for more than 60% of Mexican total FDI for the period since 1994. In the case of maquiladoras, the share of U.S.-FDI over total Mexican FDI accounts for more than 75%.

• In terms of trade growth, NAFTA has allowed for an increasing integration between Mexico and the U.S. Historically, the U.S. have always been the main trading partner of Mexico: imports and exports from Canada and the U.S. accounted for 72% and 78% of total external trade in the beginning of the 1990s, respectively. This share has increased significantly to above 92% and 75% in 2000. The integration process has been particularly relevant in the case of Mexican exports, which, added to their increasing orientation toward the U.S., increased from 34 billion in 1991 to around 150 billion in 2000. The performance of FDI and trade between Canada, Mexico and the U.S. has been much more positive than estimated even by the most enthusiastic NAFTA proponents.

• Added to industry restructuring in the U.S., as discussed below, tariff reduction was one of the most important effects of NAFTA: in average tariffs on Mexican total exports to the US fell from 2% in 1993 to less than 0.40% in 1999. Countries such as China paid tariffs for their exports to the U.S. nine times higher than Mexico. For specific items –at the 8 or 10-digit level of the Harmonized Tariff System (HTS)- import tariffs can be more than 40 times higher then for Mexico and are an important cause for understanding Mexico’s export success to the U.S.

• As a result of the growth of Mexican exports to the U.S., Mexico has achieved a substantial trade surplus with the U.S.: while Mexico’s surplus amounted to 13 billion during 1990-1993, it increased to 42 billion for 1994-1998. Although Mexico continued to have significant trade deficits with the rest of the world, export growth allowed for partial stabilization of some macroeconomic variables and of the exchange rate.

• Moreover, NAFTA has had relatively few formal dispute settlements. As of early 2001, NAFTA has had 26 completed dispute settlements and 17 cases under review. This number is relatively small if we consider the differences among the three countries involved –including aspects such as trade, employment, GDP per capita and real wages, among many others. Several important issues, however, still remain unresolved, as discussed below.

• NAFTA has been used as a model for other trade agreements, including negotiations at the World Trade Organization (WTO), regional trade agreements in America, as well as several Mexican trade negotiations with other countries.

Probably the most relevant success of NAFTA (and a process that began in the early 1990s and prior to NAFTA in cases such as the automobile industry) was the integration of several Mexican and U.S. sectors. This process has not been sufficiently studied. Generally, a few segments of Mexico’s economy have become of critical importance to increasing the competitiveness of the U.S. manufacturing sector, particularly against Asian and Japanese competition. Sectors such as electronics, automobiles and auto parts, as well as garments and textiles, which represent 70% of total Mexican exports, have become an integral part of the U.S. economy. These export-oriented Mexican activities in the new North American industrial organization account of the lowest segments of the global value-added chain: the assembly of parts and components as a result of cheap labor force and geographical proximity.4 Thus, integration globally and in the case of NAFTA, has resulted in an important growth of intrafirm and intrasectoral trade, while the specific activities represent low value-added transactions with very low technological and learning processes. Nevertheless, these activities are of critical importance to the U.S.-industry, since they include the last labor-intensive segments of the respective products: assembling parts and components and, in some cases, final distribution and shipping from Mexico directly to clients.

Independently of the former results, NAFTA has also generated contradictions and unresolved issues:

• Institutionally, NAFTA has been extremely weak. Institutions such as the North American Development Bank (NADBANK), as well as other institutions related to NAFTA’s side agreements regarding labor and environment, have not been coordinated among the three countries and lack resources and support.

• NAFTA has also generated several disputes which have not been settled. Trade in the agricultural sector (sugar and sugar related products, for example), transport services, as well as the changes in custom services in all three countries have been particularly controversial.

• It is not clear how, if at all, other countries can and will become part of NAFTA. NAFTA explicitly allows for this option. It is, however, difficult to imagine that future U.S. Administrations will be able to negotiate with potential new NAFTA members without the fast track option, added to the positions of Canada and Mexico.

• NAFTA has directly affected significant segments of Mexican population. In the case of massive imports in specific sectors, for example, of agricultural products such as corn, around 18 million people will be affected.

Generally, acknowledging that NAFTA has allowed for the integration of a small segment of its economy, NAFTA has had little positive effects on Mexico’s overall development; it might have even been responsible for increasing overall polarization in Mexico. NAFTA has allowed Mexican exports to target mainly the U.S., which might have been politically controversial or even impossible without NAFTA. However, it has not produced a significant positive impact on Mexico’s development process.

The latter is a result of the specific activities that characterize Mexican exports: low value-added activities, dependent on low tariffs and low wages with a generally minimal diffusion process; FDI and exports in Mexico are highly linked to each other and produce few linkages with the rest of the economy. The level of “territorial endogeneity”, that is, the possibility of a learning process regarding technological development and the option of upgrading the value-added chain to better jobs and higher wages, is minimal. In 1999, 84% of Mexican exports depended on programs which allowed importation and subsequent export of products (for example, maquiladoras), i.e. at least 84% of Mexican exports depended on low value-added activities that were not subject to tariffs nor taxes in Mexico.

From this perspective, a small segment of Mexico’s economy has integrated since 1988, more profoundly in some sectors through NAFTA in 1994, the U.S. economy. Moreover, Mexico has benefited substantially from the booming U.S. economy in the 1990s. However, NAFTA has not allowed for improving basic socioeconomic indicators in Mexico, such as GDP per capita, employment, income distribution, and wages. Even further, NAFTA has allowed for deepening of the overall socioeconomic polarization at the firm, sectoral, household and regional level in Mexico. Issues such as the structural lack of employment generation, with around 800,000 persons annually having to search for a job in the informal sector or in the U.S., as well the structural instability of Mexico’s balance of payments (reflected in massive chronic trade deficits of the manufacturing sector) should also be of interest and concern for other nations, including its main neighbor, the U.S.

Some of these issues go beyond NAFTA and represent the “core values” of liberalization strategy in Mexico, as well as in most of Latin America. The question is, what are the priorities of Mexico’s development strategy: inflation or employment and wages, among many other variables? Is such a strategy, strictly in economic terms, feasible in the long run, in which a small export-oriented sector is highly dynamic and successful, while the rest of the domestic economy and its population does not “reap” the results of this performance? And, finally, how much further can such a strategy go? Is this continuous socioeconomic polarization sustainable in the medium and long run?

Endnotes

Prepared for The Center for International Finance and Development, University of Iowa College of Law, March 2001.
    For a detailed analysis of the Mexican economy, see: De Maríay Campos (2000); Dussel Peters (2000\a), PEF (2000) and Villarreal (2000).
    For a detailed analysis of the Mexican economy, see: De Maríay Campos (2000); Dussel Peters (2000\a), PEF (2000) and Villarreal (2000).
    In the computer industry, for example, new industrial organization patterns require working in “real time.” Buying through Internet with the guarantee of having the product in 48-72 hours in the U.S. requires a fast and secure configuration of computers. These activities, from testing of parts and components to the assembly of the whole PC, as well as to the specific configuration of the PC, are accomplished in Mexico, in Ciudad Juárez and Guadalajara. See Dussel Peters (2000/a).

Bibliography

Pedro Aspe Armella, El Camino Mexicano de la Transformación Económica, Fondo de Cultura Económica.
    Pedro Aspe Armella, México: Informe de la Coyuntura Económica, LC/MEX/L.446, CEPAL (2000).
    Mauricio De María y Campos, Una Política de Desarrollo Industrial y Fomento Empresarial para la Próxima Década ,. El Mercado de Valores 16-25, LX(10), (2000).
    Enrique Dussel Peters, Polarizing Mexico: The Impact of Liberalization Strategy, Boulder (2000).
    Enrique Dussel Peters, El Tratado de Libre Comercio de Norteamérica y el Desempeño de la Economía en México, LC/MEX/L.431, CEPAL (2000).
    Enrique Dussel Peters, La Inversión Extranjera en México en 1999, 80 Serie Desarrollo Productivo 1-100, CEPAL (2000).
    Poder Ejecutivo Federal, 2000, Sexto Informe de Gobiern,. Anexo Estadístico.
    René Villarreal, Industrialización, Deuda y Desequilibrio Externo en México. Un Enfoque Macroindustrial y Financiero (1929-2000), Fondo de Cultura Económica, México (2000).

Apparently the Mexicans also agree that they'd rather be in their own country:

Mexicans having an anti-NAFTA march in 2008. They look unhappy.

Let's ask one:
Alejandro Portes, 'NAFTA and Mexican Immigration', 31 Jul 2006 (emphasis added) wrote:[...]For sure, there have been “winners” in the process: large transnational corporations profit from the abundant labor, slack regulation, and open borders (open, that is, for industrial goods and capital, not people). All kinds of trinkets are produced south of the border with few government controls and with wages one-seventh or less of those on the north side. Meanwhile, Mexico City looks just like Los Angeles, only poorer and more garish, full of Toys R Us, Office Depots, and TGIFs selling goods that all can see, but that only the upper and middle-class—about one-tenth of the population—can afford.

Peasant agriculture has been eviscerated by the arrival of agri-business and the lifting of restrictions on the sale of peasant land. Industrial employment has been eviscerated by the closure of hundreds of plants unable to compete with the transnationals under the new free-for-all trade regime. The response of peasants and workers thus displaced has been clear and consistent: they have headed north in ever greater absolute numbers. Before NAFTA, undocumented Mexican immigration came mainly from four or five Mexican states and a limited number of mostly rural municipalities. Since NAFTA, migrants have originated in all Mexican states, practically all municipalities, and cities as well as towns and villages. A number of formerly vibrant places are now ghost towns, all their able adults having gone abroad; about one-third of all Mexican municipalities have lost population during the last decade, some by half or more. The counterpart of this hollowing out of the Mexican countryside is the growth of the Mexican migrant population in the U.S., much of it undocumented. From a purely regional presence in the west and southwest, it has become a truly national phenomenon. States that had barely a handful of “Hispanics” in 1990 now count a sizable Hispanic population. In Georgia, for example, the Latin-origin population went from 1.7 percent in 1990 to 5.3 percent in 2000, a 312 percent increase due to an inflow of 300,000 persons, overwhelmingly from Mexico. Cities like Charlotte, North Carolina, whose “Hispanics” in 1990 consisted of a few wealthy Cuban and South American professionals, now have upwards of 80,000, mostly undocumented Mexican laborers.[...]

I think I have made my point now.

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of atte[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]