Dear Pofo nerds...Re-formatting? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I got my laptop (HP Compaq nc6120) in September 2005. In January 2006 my harddrive broke and I got a new one. I haven't reformatted my computer since then. It's been very slow lately and I really want to "start fresh" with my computer too.

I still have my original Windows XP disks, so I don't need to use pirated software except for a few things.

Now the thing is:
A) I have no idea how to re-format and I'm not paying someone to do it for me.

B) I want to "customize" my XP to disable automatic updates and all that other useless junk my Windows likes to do. Nothing is more frustrating than turning on my computer and then getting a notice saying it's being updated and it will restart automatically in 5 minutes. I want to be able to click "OK" or "Cancel" for these updates, not have them updated for me.

So yaaaa. Anyone want to walk me through it over the phone someday? :D It might not be until next month or so, when I have time to back-up my important files and stuff. I also want to buy an external hard drive because my laptop is 40gb...and I really want to have more music, more movies, more anime, and more general shit on my computer.

:)
By Oblisk

It's easy if you boot your laptop from the XP CD. You can follow the steps. There are a few options you may not know of, but it's straight forward.

B) I want to "customize" my XP to disable automatic updates and all that other useless junk my Windows likes to do. Nothing is more frustrating than turning on my computer and then getting a notice saying it's being updated and it will restart automatically in 5 minutes. I want to be able to click "OK" or "Cancel" for these updates, not have them updated for me.

You can do this.
By Potemkin

What Oblisk said.

That can be done from within XP. Go to 'Control Panel'.
By sploop!
WARNING: Be sure that your XP disc is a proper installation disc and not a disc image. If it is a proper installation disc it will cope with your change of HDD very happily. If it is an image, you may encounter problems - I have come across a situation where someone in exactly your situation tried to re-install, and the recovery disc was apparently quite happy to destroy his current operating system, but then refused to reinstall XP because it said the HDD was different!
By Oblisk
WARNING: Be sure that your XP disc is a proper installation disc and not a disc image. If it is a proper installation disc it will cope with your change of HDD very happily. If it is an image, you may encounter problems - I have come across a situation where someone in exactly your situation tried to re-install, and the recovery disc was apparently quite happy to destroy his current operating system, but then refused to reinstall XP because it said the HDD was different!

Sounds like you tried to use a factory recovery CD instead of an actual OS CD.
By sploop!
That's exactly what the guy did, which is why I'd suggest it is important to check what disk you have first...
By Zagadka
to disable automatic updates

Bad idea. Many of the automatic updates are security fixes etc.

Otherwise, yea, when you boot from CD, Windows will detect the XP install and ask if you want to install somewhere else etc. Select the same partition and select it to format.

Sounds like you tried to use a factory recovery CD instead of an actual OS CD.

lol, factory recovery CDs, especially for laptops, have half the crap that fucks computers up built in as OEM features. Best is to format and do a blank XP install.
By Demosthenes
We need a geek-ese translater.

Put in the disk you got when you bought the system that says Windows XP

Note- Sploop reports if this disc says "System Recovery" you may encounter problems. I personally haven't heard of this issue before.

With the correct disk in the disk drive do a hard restart on your laptop. It should boot from the disk as opposed to your new harddrive.

Follow the instructions onscreen.

There isn't much else to it.
By Adrien
Just make sure you have a backup of every important personnal file.

And if your PC doesn't boot from the CD automatically, press a function key as indicated during the very early stages of starting up. It's usually written in a corner of the screen when the brand's logo appears.
By Demosthenes
Well it'll take a little time to actually install, but yes it should get XP up and running on your new hard drive.

Safety mode is generally used when you have some type of serious crash and the system needs to be restarted the first time with minimal function. Most times simply doing a soft boot following successful entry into safe mode allows you to restart in normal mode after. Assuming there is nothing seriously wrong, of course.
By Adrien
You might want to deactivate some Windows functions like error-reporting and automatic updates. Maybe other users here can tell you more in detail where the catches hide.
By Oblisk
From another thread:

You can disable the automatic restarts but still enable automatic updates.
By Demosthenes
Yeah, that's what I do actually. Windoze automatically downloads them, but I tell it when to install.
By sploop!
The Yellow shield is something slightly different. That tells you that your PC has downloaded an update and wants you to install it. You can click on it, to get the option to install the downloaded update (can't remember if it is left or right click). It should get on with installing the update while you work...
By Kham
To turn off automatic update just go to Control Panel>Security Center and just disable automatic update.

To get rid of that yellow or red shield thing just click on "Change the way Security Center alert me" located under Resource tab.

Hope these help.
By Anikdote
Many windows updates do contain important security updates, but the side effect is something those update will conflict with existing softwares. If it's mostly for personal use however I'd leave them on but just disable the auto restarts.

Immigration is part of capitalism, @Puffer Fis[…]

Teacher questions appropriateness of pow-wow

One teacher saying something that others disagree […]

Background in English of Claudia Sheinbaum: @Pot[…]

The fact that you're a genocide denier is pretty […]