How Religious Are You? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
We dont see them because they would be simple, edible, and almost impossible to detect. Good job googling things.

The sad truth is that our current scientific equipment isnt capable of taking a sample that has a strand of spontanious RNA, a million strands of bacterial RNA, and detect the spontanious RNA. We wouldnt be able to tell if any particular sequence of RNA came from a bacteria or not. We constantly discover new RNA sequences in well known organisms.

In the last decade weve discovered entirely new classes of RNA like snRNA, snoRNA, lncRNA, microRNA, etc.

Even if we had a massive amount of spontaniously generated RNA, we wouldnt be able to tell what we were looking at and woild probably conclude that it was damaged RNA.

Spontaniously generated RNA would probably look like short meaningless snipits of RNA, the type you get when RNA has been degraded by RNase which is ubiquitous in nature.

We probably have found it, we just cant tell that we have.
By Drlee
One of the first times I started to question my Christianity was when I learned that the Bible we use today was actually cobbled together by a bunch of clergy from the Roman Catholic church in the primitive days before the internet.

I really don't know what to say about this. I am a little stunned.

Getting my breath back.......Ok. So you are serious. Actually the Bible was not "cobbled together by a bunch of clergy from the Roman Catholic Church" anymore than the history of ancient Egypt is "cobbled together by a bunch of Egyptologists." I do not intend to explain to you that the Egyptian Book of the Dead predated the oldest known copy. I will not remind you that there is virtually no debate among Egyptologists that the copies we have fairly represent the thoughts that predate them considerably.

That was Einstein's point about atheists as well is that they were just the opposite of religious people. Religious people were 100% certain that their god exists and atheists are 100% certain that god doesn't exist. I honestly don't see the difference between the two other than they are on opposite sides of the equation. They are both equally as dogmatic and ideological to me as the other.

Of course none of this is true. Einstein did not view "atheists as just the opposite of religious people". His views were far more nuanced than that. He at once described himself as atheist and pantheist. More importantly, I think he really didn't give a shit about religion one way or the other but he never really condemned it. People forced him to comment and he most often referred them to Spinoza.

Here is where you left the tracks:

Religious people were 100% certain that their god exists and atheists are 100% certain that god doesn't exist.

I will not speak for atheists. I will let them speak for themselves. I will speak for a great many (most) Christians. I can tell you with absolute certainty that religious people are NOT "100% certain that their God exists". To do so would be sacrilegious. What Christians are called to do is believe through faith. We are NOT to challenge God to prove Himself.

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[c]”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’

Really think about this:

Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Do you see the word seek? Not found.....seek.

All Christians have doubts. One of the keys to our faith is that we perceiver despite that doubt. Now my doubt is not very strong these days. It is more like vague uneasiness. But I would never describe my faith as certainty. The two terms are mutually exclusive.

28Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" 29Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed

We believe in God. We present no evidence for him, nor do we seek it.

Atheists "BELIEVE" that there is no God. They present no evidence for their position either. How could they? We Christians and Atheists are united in one thing. We both believe in something. The best an atheist can do is assert that in the absence of proof, they choose not to believe in God.

Why are the odds greater for an uncreated creating Being than an uncreated natural process?

IF, as I BELIEVE, there is a God, then there could be nothing more natural than His existence. He is the very definition of "natural".
Last edited by Drlee on 02 Aug 2015 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
mikema63 wrote:We dont see them because they would be simple, edible, and almost impossible to detect. Good job googling things.

The sad truth is that our current scientific equipment isnt capable of taking a sample that has a strand of spontanious RNA, a million strands of bacterial RNA, and detect the spontanious RNA. We wouldnt be able to tell if any particular sequence of RNA came from a bacteria or not. We constantly discover new RNA sequences in well known organisms.

In the last decade weve discovered entirely new classes of RNA like snRNA, snoRNA, lncRNA, microRNA, etc.

Even if we had a massive amount of spontaniously generated RNA, we wouldnt be able to tell what we were looking at and woild probably conclude that it was damaged RNA.

Spontaniously generated RNA would probably look like short meaningless snipits of RNA, the type you get when RNA has been degraded by RNase which is ubiquitous in nature.

We probably have found it, we just cant tell that we have.

Yes, I google stuff because unlike you I don't assume that I know everything.

How do you think they figured out they created the replicating RNA in the lab experiments which are significantly smaller than any RNA molecule that was a precursor to life? How do you think they figured that it managed to copy parts of itself? They obviously have ways of detecting RNA because they said got it to self replicate portions of itself. RNA molecules are HUGE in the world of chemistry. A simple google search which is something you might want to try out sometime instead of assuming you know everything shows this.

Literally the first two searches and both of them do not require you to know which specific RNA you are looking for.

http://rajlab.seas.upenn.edu/pdfs/MIE.pdf

https://www.neb.com/applications/rna-an ... on-methods
Both of those methods use tags and probes to identify RNA sequences. Probes are actual segments of RNA that are complementary to already known sequences. I actually study molecular biology, Ive actually done research internships working with long noncoding RNA. Ive done qRT-PCR and Ive run gels. You literally are just linking to things you dont understand.
By Godstud
Romulan Nuclear Analysis dictates that you guys are completely off topic.
By Drlee
Yes, I google stuff because unlike you I don't assume that I know everything.

Before you get too sarcastic you should know something. Mikema63 IS a scientist and works in the biological sciences.

Romulan Nuclear Analysis dictates that you guys are completely off topic

This is what happens when atheists debate what they both find irrelevant an that in which they do not believe at all.
Drlee wrote:
Before you get too sarcastic you should know something. Mikema63 IS a scientist and works in the biological sciences.

This is what happens when atheists debate what they both find irrelevant an that in which they do not believe at all.

Then someone can link to me how exactly they detected the small RNA particles they did in the lab experiments. They didn't know if they would form and they didn't know what they would look like but they detected them so they obviously have a way of detecting RNA by some means. Otherwise those labs are just flat out lying which I highly doubt they are.

I have read umpteen articles including the one linked to the Harvard Gazette that state that DNA abiogenisis has in fact fallen out of favor to RNA or other methods. I am assuming that he hasn't been in the field for a few years because if he was still active then he would be aware of that.

I am not a scientist but I do have critical thinking skills. Claiming that every time a RNA molecule its formed its eaten is silly because that assumes a 100% consumption rate which is impossible especially in the microscopic world where you have millions of organisms in a small volume. I have taken a few physics classes. Every system has inefficiency in it including ecosystems. RNA molecules are not small, they are huge and complex.

As I said if someone could link me to an article explaining my questions I have an open mind. Right now those questions remain unanswered though even from other scientists I have asked on sites like phys.org.
By Godstud
God made DNA and RNA. Scientists try to figure it out. Argument over.

Next.
Then someone can link to me how exactly they detected the small RNA particles they did in the lab experiments. They didn't know if they would form and they didn't know what they would look like but they detected them so they obviously have a way of detecting RNA by some means. Otherwise those labs are just flat out lying which I highly doubt they are.

It's easy, you start in an entirely sterile environment and sterile reagents and you try to copy possible early earth conditions and you get short DNA fragments. This is an entirely different thing than taking environmental samples and trying to detect spontaneously generated RNA fragments because we cannot differentiate those fragments from bacterial RNA's. Spontaneously generated RNA would be indistinguishable from unknown bacterial RNA's, and even if we know every single RNA that every bacteria had we couldn't rule out that an unknown sequences wasn't from a mutated bacteria or a degraded RNA segment. A spontaneously generated RNA fragment would have a random sequence.

A common and easily made criticism of these lab created short fragments is that they were created in a lab and not nature, I'm sure you yourself use the same argument if someone asks you if the creation of these short fragments of RNA in a lab is evidence that spontaneity generation is possible. Creation of fragments in a lab under sterile conditions is an entirely different beast than detecting such fragments in the environment. There is no way to separate spontaneously derived RNA and bacterial RNA in a sample because there would be no chemical difference between those RNA fragments. A single strand of spontaneous RNA would have it's signal overcome by environmental RNA's in PCR machines and Gels.

I have read umpteen articles including the one linked to the Harvard Gazette that state that DNA abiogenisis has in fact fallen out of favor to RNA or other methods. I am assuming that he hasn't been in the field for a few years because if he was still active then he would be aware of that.

There are dozens of hypothesis, all very very difficult to prove, and very few have been eliminated. I think that within my lifetime we will have a full theory of abiogenesis. That you don't like the RNA world hypothesis for poor reasons doesn't have any relation to my knowlege of these different hypothesis or which one is currently en vogue. The argument that are inability to detect spontaneously generated RNA fragments in nature is a terrible argument against the RNA world hypothsis because we cannot currently test for such RNA sequences in nature. I don't think we will ever actually be able to detect them on earth occurring in nature because of the nature of such RNA fragments.

Also, the popularity of a particular hypothesis has nothing to do with anything, only the actual evidence to back them up matters. The evidence suggests that RNA's are more stable than DNA outside of a cell, and thus RNA's likely preceeded DNA. (there are a variety of other sources of evidence that RNA preceeded DNA) That is way the DNA first hypothesis has fallen away to the RNA first hypothesis, because RNA's are simply more stable.

I am not a scientist but I do have critical thinking skills. Claiming that every time a RNA molecule its formed its eaten is silly because that assumes a 100% consumption rate which is impossible especially in the microscopic world where you have millions of organisms in a small volume. I have taken a few physics classes. Every system has inefficiency in it including ecosystems. RNA molecules are not small, they are huge and complex.

Not every single one would get eaten no, but that is not the main reason I have given you for our inability to detect them. We cannot create a probe to find them because we don't know their sequence, a spontaneously generated RNA would have a random sequence. We also cannot differentiate a spontaneous RNA from an unknown, mutated, or degraded segment of bacterial RNA if we just try to look at all the RNA sequences in a sample.

As I said if someone could link me to an article explaining my questions I have an open mind. Right now those questions remain unanswered though even from other scientists I have asked on sites like phys.org.

The limitations of RNA detection techniques are not something you are going to find easily outlined on a website, they are technical and involved. The few academic articles discussing them are behind paywalls. These are techniques and technologies that can take weeks to learn how to preform and years of study to understand. It's one thing for you to look at a page about a northern blot and say "well why don't they just use that to detect them?" These techniques are not foolproof, you can spend weeks repeatedly doing the same procedures over and over trying to figure out what's wrong with it, months trying to do it well enough to eke out significant results. these things have margins of error, and are inexact. It's not even something you can learn in a class, you cannot really appreciate the limits of these types of laboratory techniques without actually doing them yourself. I cannot fully think how to explain to you the incredible frustration that doing these sorts of things can give you. Even minor errors in your technique can completely destroy any useful data, and that is when you know what to look for.

You are demanding that scientists just whip out their magic box and do science at it till you get clear cut and beautiful data that totally proves that RNA's spontaneously develop in nature. It just doesn't work like that. It can take weeks to run even a tiny amount of data out of an RT-PCR machine when you know exactly what your looking for. It can take a year to get enough data to make a single paper out of it. Scientists are not magicians able to pull a rabbit out of a hat and identify an RNA that looks like every other RNA when that scientist has no idea what it looks like or how it could be differentiated from regular RNA even in theory, which is vastly easier than actually doing in practice. You don't seem to even come close to understanding the ridiculous amount of effort it takes to actually run even a minor and straight forward experiment, much less such a complex and daunting task as trying to find something that you don't have any way of knowing what it looks like, that exists on a scale that is impossible to directly see, using imperfect equipment, and with the human error that is inherent in every scientific endeavor.

Science is hard work, you have to do it mostly by hand, you work with microliters at a time using micropippets and you just have to hope that your hand was steady enough and you were accurate enough along a series of dozens of steps in a process that you have to do dozens of times that you didn't contaminate or loose an invisible molecule, that your machine isn't miscalibrated, that a piece of dust didn't fall into your tube, that you designed this entire process correctly, that the data has enough statistical significance, that the hypothesis you spent months of your life testing isn't just entirely wrong. It can take years to do even basic straight forward research.

You cannot haughtily demand that scientists just hurry up and hand you the positive results of a project that is probably impossible and would take a decade to complete even if someone just happened to be creative and clever enough to figure out a way to do it. One of the most mindbogglingly difficult part of science is that creative spark of inspiration that even starts a scientist to see a new hypothesis or experiment that would discover something new. The great scientists who proved that electrons and atoms existed, or that first discovered some law of physics, or discovered the shape of DNA are not lauded because they did a few quick experiments, they were lauded because they had a spark of creative insight that just doesn't pop up on demand. It's like demanding an author write the next great epic that will be taught in classes a thousand years from now. That initial creative insight doesn't happen just because we simply desire to prove something.

Edit:Well that turned into a rant.

TL;DR Science isn't magic, it's not that easy.
By Drlee
That was a wonderful post. It should be a warning page on every pop-science book printed.

The problem with the internet is that one can find some pretty captivating ideas in a flash. Of course this gives the impression that these ideas were developed in a flash.

As you said, "Science is hard work". I wonder how many people really internalize this. I know that I do not always do it. And

The problem with chasing rabbits is that you have to chase them down the rabbit hole. The problem with studying rabbits is that you have to chase a whole lot of them down a whole lot of holes.
By aakash
Religion is an import aspect of my personal life, and I am a devout hindu. My political views are influenced by religion. However, I do believe in the Separation of State and a secular government.
aakash wrote:Religion is an import aspect of my personal life, and I am a devout hindu. My political views are influenced by religion. However, I do believe in the Separation of State and a secular government.

Yes. Europe has been devastated by several continental wars. The two most famous ones in the 20th century. However there were ones beforehand from the 30-years Wart to the Napoleonic Wars where official faith-vs. secularism was a factor, not the only one of course, but part of it. And usually meant a major portion of Europe lost its population.

Even WW2, which for Hitler was partly a war of Catholic supremacism over Protestants & the 'Slavs' of the east, etc.

It is very sad that for Western societies it's taken so many wars, so much death and destruction and sheer de-population, that you can't afford to have an official faith domestically. Nor start wars where one of the espoused reasons is the secularism/official faith of the enemy. We've had plenty of that already in the Western world. And what did it achieve in the positive sense? Nothing I can think of.

There's only one outright theocracy in Iran, do we need to debate why the world isn't ridden with full-blown theocracies?? Clearly not. The issue has been debated through out the years. As far as I can see it didn't seem to matter much in the Ancient Period. So from the breakup of the Roman Empire-onwards it's a major factor for wars, civil wars and internal persecution.

There seems, say in the USA, the sort of stereotype that secularism is an atheism thing. Ugghhh, secularism arose in the West when there was hardly an atheist in sight. And usually the product of Catholic states. Just as many major scientists are Catholics, so much for the claim that science is used to discredit religion!

Logically it was easy to only address the fundamentals and very basics of society in the Ancient Period. However, time has passed. We have many needs in society nowadays and the average religious text will not address many. And even if we're say talking about the Church of England in the UK, declining in support, attendance, etc. The private sphere has expanded. We're not reliant on organised faith to tell us about the world and are overall better for it. Not to be disrespectful, but it's had its Golden Age, which wasn't golden for everyone. However pious the average peasant was faith doesn't fill the belly, ensure workplace security or ensure democratic government.
Last edited by redcarpet on 04 Aug 2015 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
By fuser
aakash wrote:Religion is an import aspect of my personal life, and I am a devout hindu. My political views are influenced by religion. However, I do believe in the Separation of State and a secular government.

So I take it that you are against different personal/family laws for different religious communities in India?

IIRC, we also went through that. And I recall I a[…]

I respect the hustle. But when it comes to FAFSA […]

'State of panic' as Putin realises he cannot wi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]