Pope Francis and His Lies - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Does your Bible have The Vision of Ezra?. Does it have the Apocalypse of Abraham?

What about the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, is that a good read in your Bible?

If not, you're conceding to the authority of the keys in Rome to have removed them.

Further, and this is always the problem, if you're going to go with your imaginary version of history, there's a 1600 year gap between Christ and any Christians :lol:

I am not conceding anything. I can read them and evaluate them myself, with the help of the Holy Spirit. I do not need a so-called Pope or Catholic Priest, who aren't even allowed to have a wife and children like the Apostle Peter to advise me on anything in my life. It was the Apostle Paul that decided to remain single and not marry. So perhaps the Roman Catholic Church is confused or lying. Praise the Lord.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has this to say about the foundations of Catholicism:

Ensign, April 1971 edition - Roman Catholicism wrote:The Catholic tradition has insisted upon a divine founding and inspired a perpetuation, linking its beginning with the charge given to Peter in the sixteenth chapter of Matthew. Around the inside of the dome of Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome are inscribed these words: “Tu es petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam … et tibi dabo claves regni caelorum.” These are words spoken by Jesus directly to Peter and not to all the apostles as a quorum.

Many authors, interpreters, and translators have sought to determine from this text the original intent of the writer. However, we are not concerned with the writer but with the intent of the speaker, Jesus Christ. The best translation of this text in the Catholic version (the King James Version is practically the same) is, “… thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, … And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt. 16:18, 19, Douay Version.)

As we can see, the true church does acknowledge the Biblical phrase ascribed to Jesus as told to Peter. However, is this interpreted correctly?

Latter-day Saints accept the presidency of Peter but take the position that the Church was to be built upon the rock of revelation—not on Peter. Further, the point at issue between Latter-day Saints and Catholics is whether there has been an inspired perpetuation and transmission of Petrine primacy or a deviation and departure from the spirit and intent of the conferred divine commission, as recorded in the New Testament.

As we can see, this is not so.
Of course Morons (oops - typo :excited: ) refer to it as the "presidency" of Peter. They just have to make Christianity 'Murican, don't they? :lol:
Hindsite wrote:I am not conceding anything. I can read them and evaluate them myself, with the help of the Holy Spirit. I do not need a so-called Pope or Catholic Priest, who aren't even allowed to have a wife and children like the Apostle Peter to advise me on anything in my life. It was the Apostle Paul that decided to remain single and not marry. So perhaps the Roman Catholic Church is confused or lying. Praise the Lord.

The Bible disagrees with you. From a Protestant source:

Acts 8:26-36 wrote:26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Rise and go toward the south[a] to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is a desert place. 27 And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship 28 and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

“Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opens not his mouth.
33 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth.”

34 And the eunuch said to Philip, “About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. 36

So far as not being able to have legitimate children, this was a common issue in ancient societies as there were problems with corruption. The Chinese, and a lot of other civilizations (like the Ethiopians above) used to castrate officials so that no office could be corrupted by families.

The Church, in her wisdom, merely required them not to have legitimate children. I realize that for a zany cult that has a 1600 year gap that can't be accounted for, this must be difficult to understand—Blessed Mother Church thinks in terms of millennia instead of hours.

I mean, when the Protestants tried they descended into orgies and chaos. Fortunately, since then, for the most part the Church has remained a solid and kind hand on the shoulders of your cult whether you know it or not.
The Munster Rebellion is one of the most hilarious episodes in European history, and I will not hear a word against the saintly Jan van Leiden. :lol:
Hindsite wrote:quoting people from the Roman Catholic Church history.

I quoted Clement of Rome who knew Peter*, was ordained by Peter**, and wrote his letter to the Corinthians just a few years after Peter was crucified***. He says Peter was in Rome****.

*** "Not in every place, my brethren are the daily sacrifices offered or the free-will offerings, or the sin-offerings and trespass-offerings, but only in Jerusalem; and there also the offering is not made in every place, but before the shrine, at the altar, and the offering is first inspected by the High Priest and the ministers already mentioned. Those therefore who do contrary to that which is agreeable to his will suffer the penalty of death."

Clement, Letter to the Corinthians ch. 41

This excerpt from Clement's letter to the Corinthians indicates it being written before 70 AD, while the Temple was still operating.

"This day, therefore, we spent as a holy Lord’s day, in which we read your epistle; from the reading of which we shall always be able to obtain admonition, as also from the former epistle written to us through Clement."

Bishop Dionysius of Corinth, in a letter to Pope Soter, who reigned from 166 to 175, quoted by Eusebius, Church History 4: 23.11

Evidence pointing to bishop Clement writing as an assistant to Pope Linus (A.D. 64 to 76) when sending his message to the Corinthians. The use of ‘through’ means Clement was an intermediary. Clement’s epistle had been one of admonition.

**** "among us"

:)
Bulaba Jones wrote:As we can see, the true church does acknowledge the Biblical phrase ascribed to Jesus as told to Peter. However, is this interpreted correctly?

As I have already indicated in my responses above to ingliz and TIG, I have no problem with the translation, but with the interpretation (or Meaning) of what Jesus the Christ was saying to Peter and His other disciples.

You must not forget that Jesus asks the question, "Who do you say, I am" to all the disciples. The other disciple gave a wrong answer. Simon Peter said, "You are the Christ (Messiah), the Son of the living God" not because he knew, but because the Father in Heaven gave the answer to him.

The name Peter in the original Greek text is listed in the Greek dictionary of the New Testament in Strong's Concordance as word number 4074, petros meaning (a piece of) rock. But Jesus uses the word Rock, number 4073 petra meaning (a mass of) rock or bedrock used for a foundation. So petros, Simon Peter's name, means only a specific rock or stone in distinction from petra which indicates a rock mass or bedrock.

A tomb is said to be hewn out in a rock mass (Matthew 27:60 KJV) and a house may be build on bedrock (Matthew 7:24 KJV). Thus, Jesus was using wordplay on Peter's name with the truth in Peter's answer indicating Jesus as the Christ and Son of God as the Rock of our salvation. So this foundation Rock is referring to Jesus as the Christ, the way, the truth, and the life as the Salvation foundation of His spiritual Church.

Jesus addresses all the disciples in Matthew 16:18 by beginning with thee (plural in the Greek), then to Peter with thou (singular in the Greek). Likewise, Matthew 16:19 is addressed to all the disciples with [b]thee{/b] (plural in the Greek), not just to Peter, as can be verified by Matthew 18:18, where it is clear that Jesus is speaking to all the disciples as a group, which I have already mentioned before.

ingliz wrote:I quoted Clement of Rome who knew Peter*, was ordained by Peter**, and wrote his letter to the Corinthians just a few years after Peter was crucified***. He says Peter was in Rome****.

I really don't see anything that proves Peter was in Rome. Irenaeus seems to think the Church at Rome was founded and organized by both Paul and Peter, however, I favor Paul and those that helped him. But I do not see why it would even matter to you, since you do not consider yourself to be a Christian anyway.

In the Gospels and Acts, "apostles" usually refers to the twelve, except in John 13:16, where Jesus speaks of "messengers" in general, and in Acts 14:14, where the narrator calls Paul and Joseph, nicknamed Barnabas, "apostles."

Paul frequently calls himself an apostle throughout his letters: Rom 1:1; 1 Cor 1:1; Gal 1:1; etc.), stressing his equal status with the "other apostles" (the twelve and/or the leaders and missionaries of the Jerusalem church).

He also explicitly calls Barnabas an apostle (1 Cor 9:5-6), implies that Apollos (1 Cor 1:12; 3:4--4:6) and Silas (and possibly also Timothy?) are apostles (1 Thess 2:7), and calls Andronicus and Junia (a woman!) "prominent among the apostles" (Rom 16:7).
Hindsite wrote:I really don't see anything that proves Peter was in Rome.

Why are you ignoring Clement?

Hindsite wrote:I really don't see anything that proves Peter was in Rome.

"Now Peter was in Rome rejoicing in the Lord with the brethren, and giving thanks night and day for the multitude which was brought daily unto the holy name by the grace of the Lord."

Acts of Peter 3:33

"I beseech you the executioners, crucify me thus, with the head downward and not otherwise... And they hanged him up after the manner he desired"

Acts of Peter 3:37-38

"I see before me crosses not all alike, but differently made by different peoples: some hang a man head downwards, some force a stick upwards through his groin [some impale their private parts; trans. Brown (1994)], some stretch out his arms on a forked gibbet. I see cords, scourges, and instruments of torture for each limb and each joint: but I see Death also."

Video istic cruces ne unius quidem generis sed aliter ab aliis fabricatas: capite quidam conuersos in terram suspendere, alii per obscena stipitem egerunt, alii brachia patibulo explicuerunt; video fidiculas, video verbera, et membris singulis articulis singula nocuerunt machinamenta. At video et mortem.

Seneca, Of Consolation: To Marcia 20.3

If we look at the Latin, it may seem that Aubrey Stewart, M.A., Late Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, is displaying a homoerotic bent when called upon to translate 'alii per obscena stipitem egerunt', but...

Tombs (2014) John Granger Cook, Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 327. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2014 wrote: A plausible explanation is that a sedile could be used to anally impale a victim. Cook mistakenly assumes that impalement must always be full-body impalement on the upright (which Seneca refers to in another Letter to Lucillius, Epistles 14.3-5, using stipes rather than crux). It is quite possible that a sedile could be angled to enact a limited impalement of a victim nailed or tied to the upright or crossbeam. Indeed, if the suspended victim had to repeatedly raise himself (or herself) to breathe, the sedile could re-enact the impalement at every raising and slumping of the body. This priapic violation could have been an intentional part of the punitive display. This would fit with Justin’s description of the sedile as a ‘horn’ (Dialogue with Trypho 91.2), and conform to well-established Roman codes around bodily penetration and masculinity (Hallett and Skinner 1997, Williamson 1999).

The alternative punishment, a spike through the genitals, was considered a mitigated sentence (Coleman; 1990) as it gave the condemned an option of self-castration, quickening the crucified victims's death.

some impale their private parts

A minor detail omitted in the account of Jesus's crucifixion.

"The very form of the cross, too, has five extremities, two in length, two in breadth, and one in the middle, on which [last] the person rests who is fixed by the nails"

Irenaeus, Against Heresies 2:24.4.

A gemstone shows a victim with spread legs supported by a sedile. This gemstone is one of the earliest images of Jesus's crucifixion and is assumed to have been made by someone unsympathetic to Christianity. The visual impression of the sedile may explain why it is so rarely pictured in Christian art - "And the part which is fixed in the centre, on which are suspended those who are crucified, also stands out like a horn"; Justin Martyr, Dialogue contra Trypho ch. 91.

Last edited by ingliz on 07 Sep 2017 16:59, edited 7 times in total.
ingliz wrote:Why are you ignoring Clement?

I am not ignoring Clement of Rome. However, nothing you presented proves Clement actually met Peter in Person or that Peter was ever in Rome. Clement may have known about Peter from Paul or Barnabas or one of the other missionaries or just by reading some of their writings.

"Now Peter was in Rome rejoicing in the Lord with the brethren, and giving thanks night and day for the multitude which was brought daily unto the holy name by the grace of the Lord."

Acts of Peter 3:33

:)[/quote]
You apparently did not read the first paragraph from your reference on the Acts of Peter. Look here:

Written, probably by a resident in Asia Minor (he does not know much about Rome), not later than A. D. 200, in Greek. The author has read the Acts of John very carefully, and modelled his language upon them. However, he was not so unorthodox as Leucius, though his language about the Person of our Lord (ch. xx) has rather suspicious resemblances to that of the Acts of John.

The Acts of Peter is unreliable and probably another one of the fake writings of that time period. It was never excepted as authentic by the Church. Much of it seems to be confusing Peter with Paul, in my opinion.
Hindsite wrote:The Acts of Peter is unreliable and probably another one of the fake writings of that time period. It was never excepted as authentic by the Church. Much of it seems to be confusing Peter with Paul, in my opinion.

And to take a break from Ingliz's ownage, it is worth pointing out what has happened here.

Upon your knees, cap in hand, you have returned to the Blessed Mother Church in Rome, pleading for her guidance.

I mentioned that the "keys," given to Peter gave the Church the authority to create the Bible from which you pull from. You tried to deny it, but you could not.

And I mentioned that, "the Church has remained a solid and kind hand on the shoulders of your cult whether you know it or not." And here you are, invoking the Church for authority, proving the accuracy of my words and the benevolent hand of an actual holy institution. Even in attempting to dismiss it, you cannot do better than to acknowledge its infallibility.
The Acts of Peter is unreliable

The Acts of Paul is unreliable, not being written by Paul; Clement's letter is written by Clement, and contemporaneous with events.

unreliable

Textual analysis of Greek and Roman secular texts show the gospel accounts of Christ's crucifixion to be unreliable, all mention of sexual violence is airbrushed out.

Tombs (2014) wrote:This priapic violation could have been an intentional part of the punitive display. This would fit with Justin’s description of the sedile as a ‘horn’ (Dialogue with Trypho 91.2), and conform to well-established Roman codes around bodily penetration and masculinity (Hallett and Skinner 1997, Williamson 1999).

Last edited by ingliz on 07 Sep 2017 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
So our resident Biblical troll has shown us the great protestant (or all denominational for that matter) paradox.

So Hindsite attacks the Pope. Of course, theology aside, this is stupid. He is Hindsite's brother in Christ. He is a fellow Christian. He commands the respect of billions of people around the world. I cannot think of many things more unchristian than to condemn someone for their obvious faith in Jesus. Are we to condemn as antichrists everyone with a doctrinal difference from our own opinions?

Now Hindsite would ask us to believe that God sent His Son to earth to die for our sins and save future generations from sin and death until He returns. Then he asks us to believe that this same God immediately set about sending people into the world to spread heresy and sin. Why would God do that? Does Hindsite believe God is asleep? Does he believe that God does not answer his prayers, those of the faithful? And so all of the prayers offered in Catholic churches for thousands of years fell on deaf hears? I don't believe that but obviously Hindsite does.

Then he sets himself up as judge of "all things historical" regarding Christianity. Pretty arrogant, don't you think.

But the paradox. When we rely on ancient sources for anything more than background we deny that God is alive, working and inspiring people today. And not just today but for thousands, or even tens of thousands of years before us.

I, for one, am sorry that Hindsite's God appears to be dead to him and that he does not continue to inspire us as he did countless generations before us.

I believe in an infinitely loving, forgiving and powerful God. I do not believe that Muslims, Hindus or atheists are not my brothers. I follow Christ and his teachings as God gives me the light to see those teachings. I do not agree with all things Catholic nor do I disagree with all things Islamic.

My God is alive and speaks to me. I do not require Hindsite and his ilk to try to cram some stilted and historically unsupportable nonsense down my throat. I do not care where the first Christian congregation was. It is irrelevant. I believe that God loves the Pope and especially the good work he is redirecting his church to do. I believe He love Mormons, Jews and atheists and especially notices when they do good things. I believe he listens to all prayers whether they are made by a protestant, catholic, or someone wearing a mask in Africa. I believe he honors all efforts to know him. My path is Christianity as God has given me the grace to know it. I will rely on this to my death bed. If my theology happens to go pear shaped I trust God will give me an E for effort and let me move on to the next life and the things he wants me to do in it.
Drlee wrote:So Hindsite attacks the Pope. Of course, theology aside, this is stupid. He is Hindsite's brother in Christ. He is a fellow Christian. He commands the respect of billions of people around the world. I cannot think of many things more unchristian than to condemn someone for their obvious faith in Jesus. Are we to condemn as antichrists everyone with a doctrinal difference from our own opinions?

The Pope is the Whore of Babylon and a False Prophet, leading billions of people into the arms of Satan. How is condemning this Godless Evil "Unchristian"?

Drlee wrote:Now Hindsite would ask us to believe that God sent His Son to earth to die for our sins and save future generations from sin and death until He returns. Then he asks us to believe that this same God immediately set about sending people into the world to spread heresy and sin. Why would God do that? Does Hindsite believe God is asleep? Does he believe that God does not answer his prayers, those of the faithful? And so all of the prayers offered in Catholic churches for thousands of years fell on deaf hears? I don't believe that but obviously Hindsite does.

God Predestined that these people would, by their own Free Will, harden their hearts against him. Their Iniquity and inevitable Damnation merely Magnifies the Glory of the LORD.

And, thanks to the Heavenly miracle of Unconditional Election, many misguided Catholic Idolaters will have been saved over the millennia, since God's Grace is not dependent on Works. The Papists in this thread are wrong to say that the Protestants believe there were "no Christians" during the many centuries of Roman Tyranny over Christendom.

The rest of your post is tainted with the Heresy of Pelagianism.

ingliz wrote:The Acts of Paul is unreliable, not being written by Paul; Clement's letter is written by Clement, and contemporaneous with events.

Textual analysis of Greek and Roman secular texts show the gospel accounts of Christ's crucifixion to be unreliable, all mention of sexual violence is airbrushed out.

So what?
Drlee wrote:Now Hindsite would ask us to believe that God sent His Son to earth to die for our sins and save future generations from sin and death until He returns. Then he asks us to believe that this same God immediately set about sending people into the world to spread heresy and sin. Why would God do that?

God wouldn't, but Satan and his demons would continue to try to deceive many.
Drlee wrote:Does Hindsite believe God is asleep? Does he believe that God does not answer his prayers, those of the faithful? And so all of the prayers offered in Catholic churches for thousands of years fell on deaf hears? I don't believe that but obviously Hindsite does.

No, Hindsite does not believe God ignores the faithful believers.
Drlee wrote:Then he sets himself up as judge of "all things historical" regarding Christianity. Pretty arrogant, don't you think.

Everyone must judge for themselves what to believe as true. I don't judge for others, I only present information and my opinion for consideration.
Drlee wrote:I, for one, am sorry that Hindsite's God appears to be dead to him and that he does not continue to inspire us as he did countless generations before us.

If you think that about me, then you apparently misunderstood me.
Drlee wrote:I believe in an infinitely loving, forgiving and powerful God. I do not believe that Muslims, Hindus or atheists are not my brothers. I follow Christ and his teachings as God gives me the light to see those teachings. I do not agree with all things Catholic nor do I disagree with all things Islamic.

My God is alive and speaks to me. I do not require Hindsite and his ilk to try to cram some stilted and historically unsupportable nonsense down my throat. I do not care where the first Christian congregation was. It is irrelevant. I believe that God loves the Pope and especially the good work he is redirecting his church to do. I believe He love Mormons, Jews and atheists and especially notices when they do good things. I believe he listens to all prayers whether they are made by a protestant, catholic, or someone wearing a mask in Africa. I believe he honors all efforts to know him. My path is Christianity as God has given me the grace to know it. I will rely on this to my death bed. If my theology happens to go pear shaped I trust God will give me an E for effort and let me move on to the next life and the things he wants me to do in it.

I agree that God loves all people, however, I don't believe all people will be saved regardless of belief. You seem to be more loving and forgiving of Muslims, Hindus, Mormons, Jews, and atheists than for professing Christians, like me and my ilk. I certainly hope I misunderstood you.

The Plain Truth about the Roman Catholic Church

https://www.biblebelievers.com/jmelton/Catholic.html

The Real Origin of the evil Roman Catholic Church

Pope Francis Calls Jesus and the Bible a LIE

POPE says Personal Relationship with Jesus VERY DANGEROUS & HARMFUL

POPE FRANCIS CALLS JESUS A SINNER

Pope Francis, on the Feast of the Holy Family in Vatican City, said Jesus had to beg forgiveness from His parents when he got lost at the temple as a child. This implies that Jesus committed a sin! That is contrary to the Bible, because the Bible says that Jesus led a sinless life. The Pope has also made controversial statements in the past, saying that the Bible is a highly dangerous book and that Jesus' life ended in failure. The pope has even spoken out about fundamentalism (including Christian fundamentalism) a number of times. Christian fundamentalism is the belief that the Bible should be interpreted literally. What does this all mean?

Hindsite wrote:Was the Apostle Peter Ever in the City of Rome?

Yes.

Hindsite [video] wrote:The identity of Babylon

"She that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son."

1 Peter 5:13

She

In the Bible, a woman represents the Church:

"I will betroth you to me for ever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion."

Hosea 2:19

"I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him."

2 Corinthians 11:2

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless."

Ephesians 5:25-27

"Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready."

Revelation 19:7

The Church that is at Babylon.

that is at Babylon

"A body of men united together by the profession of the same Christian Faith, and by participation in the same sacraments, under the governance of lawful pastors, more especially of the Roman Pontiff, the sole vicar of Christ on earth"

Coetus hominum ejusdem christianæ fidei professione, et eorumdem sacramentorum communione colligatus, sub regimine legitimorum pastorum et præcipue unius Christi in Terris vicarii Romani Pontificis.

Bellarmine, De Eccl., III, ii, 9.

Peter was the first Roman Pontiff (Clement, the fourth). Peter's use of the term 'Babylon' (elected together with you; 1 Pe 5:13) points to Babylon being Rome.

Rome

The Church of Rome...

"With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication."

Revelation 17:2

Rome is Babylon in the first half of the Tribulation.

A.C. Garland (2007) A Commentary on the Book of Revelation wrote:One side of the coin contains the portrait of the emperor. The reverse side depicts Rome, a Roman pagan goddess, sitting on seven hills seated by the waters of the Tiber River. There are obvious similarities between the Dea Roma Coin and the imagery of Revelation Rev. 17:1+. In both cases, the goddess and the harlot are seated on seven hills and are seated either on or by the waters ( Rev. 17:1+). In addition, the name of the goddess was thought by many Romans to be Amor, which is Roma spelled backwards. Amor was the goddess of love and sexuality. Thus, both the woman on the coin and the woman in Revelation Rev. 17:1+ represent harlotry (Rev. Rev. 17:5+). Furthermore, the coin equates Roma with the power of the Roman Empire, which was active in persecuting Christians of John’s day. The placement of Vespasian on one side of the coin and Roma on the other makes this connection. . . . The goddess is also pictured as holding a sword, which may depict Rome’s imperial power. This imagery parallels with the woman in Revelation Rev. 17:1+ who is said to be drunk with the blood of the saints [Rev. Rev. 17:6+].

Heisenberg wrote:The Pope is the Whore of Babylon and a False Prophet, leading billions of people into the arms of Satan. How is condemning this Godless Evil "Unchristian"?

God Predestined that these people would, by their own Free Will, harden their hearts against him. Their Iniquity and inevitable Damnation merely Magnifies the Glory of the LORD.

And, thanks to the Heavenly miracle of Unconditional Election, many misguided Catholic Idolaters will have been saved over the millennia, since God's Grace is not dependent on Works. The Papists in this thread are wrong to say that the Protestants believe there were "no Christians" during the many centuries of Roman Tyranny over Christendom.

The rest of your post is tainted with the Heresy of Pelagianism.

Wait! But how can those people who resist God have free will if He predestined them to harden their hearts against him? :?:

You aren't taking the piss out'a these God fearing Americans, now are you?

Hmm, Pelagianism, the rejection of original sin and that free will is enough to choose between good and evil. A dangerous idea! Of course all God fearing and politically correct people would understand that we are all sinners, especially white people who are born racist. And of course men, who a inherently sexist. And heterosexual people, who are inherently homophobic. Sinners, one and all! They really ought to feel very guilty and spend an inordinate effort in repenting for their sinful ways. Only by grace can their sins be absolved. Thank the Lord we have been blessed with politically correct people whom we only need to grant absolute power too in order for us to be saved.

I think I should start referring to political correctness as Augustinianism from now on.
ingliz wrote:Yes.

No, Rome is not Babylon, not even in the book of Revelation. However, the Roman Catholic Church maintains some of the pagan religious traditions of Babylonian Sun worship. That may be what the book of Revelation refers to as "Mystery" Babylon. But the Apostle Peter is believed to have visited a Jewish community living in the old Babylon which is located in Iraq today.

Under the Parthian and Sassanid Empires, Babylon (like Assyria) became a province of these Persian Empires for nine centuries, until after AD 650. It maintained its own culture and people, who spoke varieties of Aramaic, and who continued to refer to their homeland as Babylon. Examples of their culture are found in the Babylonian Talmud, the Gnostic Mandaean religion, Eastern Rite Christianity and the religion of the prophet Mani. Christianity was introduced to Mesopotamia in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, and Babylon was the seat of a Bishop of the Church of the East until well after the Arab/Islamic conquest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

http://www.discoverrevelation.com/8.html

It is genearlly believed that Peter founded the Church of Antioch.

vistors to modern-day Antakya (Antioch) in Turkey will find little evidence of the thriving Christian community that developed here in Paul’s day. St Peter’s Cave Church is in a cave believed to be the meeting place where Peter taught the early Christian believers on one of his visits to Antioch (see Galatians 2:11).

http://www.thebiblejourney.org/biblejou ... t-antioch/

Biblical evidence that Peter was not the first Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, Acts 3:1-11; 4:13; 8:14; Galatians 2:9, suggests he was often with the Apostle John). A careful reading of 2 Peter 1:14-18 and Matthew 17:1-5 indicates that Peter was with James or John right before he died. Yet, since James died in Judea (Acts 12:1) by 39 A.D. and there is no evidence that John was in Rome prior to 90 A.D., this would suggest that Peter was NOT in Rome when he wrote that “the laying away of my tabernacle is at hand” (2 Peter 1:14, RNT).

Interestingly, when personally addressing the leadership for the Christians who lived in Rome, Paul never mentioned Peter or any who were later claimed to be Roman bishops, even though he listed at least 27 others (see Romans 16).

Some modern Catholic scholars have admitted that Peter and the other Apostles were not ‘bishops,’ and could not have taken up residence in any city:

A “bishop” is a residential pastor who presides in a stable manner over the church in a city and its environs. The apostles were missionaries and founders of churches; there is no evidence, nor is it likely at all, that any one of them ever took up permanent residence in a particular church as its bishop (Sullivan F.A. From Apostles to Bishops: the development of the episcopacy in the early church. Newman Press, Mahwah (NJ), 2001, p. 14).

The cited Catholic quotes show that the Church of Rome acknowledges that Peter labored long in Asia Minor (hence, he could not truly have been the bishop of Rome then as they are quite far apart–it normally took MONTHS to travel from Rome to Asia Minor in those days, plus there were no telephones or fast ways to communicate), tended to return to Jerusalem (which is near Asia Minor), spent little time in Rome, could not have been the bishop of any city, and that there are no precise details of anything that Peter did in Rome. While it is possible that Peter visited and even died in Rome (and this has been contested by some scholars), that of itself would not seem to be a reason for the city of Rome to have to be the place of the headquarters of the true church.

There also is no known early document that states that upon his death Peter bequeathed the cathedra to anyone (recall also that Jesus Himself died in Jerusalem, and the importance of His death to the Church is more significant than that of Peter). When Jesus discussed the keys of the kingdom (Matthew 16) with Peter, this was in the Jerusalem area. When the Holy Spirit was given in Acts 2, this was in Jerusalem. Later, Peter and the other apostles spent a great deal of time in Asia Minor.

Furthermore, Rome was a Gentile area, not full of circumcised Israelites.

Who does the Bible teach had that responsibility? Look at what Paul wrote:

7. But contrariwise when they had seen that to me was committed the Gospel of the
prepuce, as to Peter of the circumcision 8. for he that wrought in Peter to the Apostleship of the circumcision, wrought in me also among the Gentiles

(Galatians 2:7-8).

Rome is simply not close enough to Asia Minor or Jerusalem for Peter to have been based out of Rome. Thus Antioch or other regions within Asia Minor would seem to have been the main areas that Peter possibly could have had an episcopate. Actually, the book of Galatians specifically mentions that Paul visited Peter on two occasions, and both of those were in Jerusalem and not Rome. Why? Because Rome was still not the headquarters of the Church at a very late time in Peter’s life. This is clearly documented from the Bible:

15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace,
16 to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood,
17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and remained with him fifteen days (Galatians1:15-18).

21 Afterward I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia.
22 And I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea which were in Christ (Galatians 1:21-22).

1 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took Titus with me…
9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles (Galatians 2:1,9).

In Acts, in fact, Peter is shown consulting with other apostles and even being sent by them (8:14). He and John are portrayed as acting as a team (3:1-11; 4:1-22; 8:14). And Paul confronts Peter for his inconsistency and hypocrisy…Paul “opposed him to his face because he was clearly wrong” (Galatians 2:11; see also 12-14).

Of all the Fathers who interpret these passages (Matthew 16:18; John 21:17), not a single one applies them to the Roman bishops as Peter’s successors. How many Fathers have busied themselves with these three texts, yet not one of them who commentaries we possess–Origen, Chrysostom, Hilary, Augustine, Cyril, Theodoret, and those whose interpretations are collected in catenas–has dropped the faintest hint that the primacy of Rome is the consequence of the commission and promise to Peter!

Not one of them has explained the rock or foundation on which Christ would build His Church as the office given to Peter to be transmitted to his successors, but they understood by it either Christ Himself, or Peter’s confession of faith in Christ; often both together.

It was not until quite late that the Roman Catholic Church decided that Peter was the first bishop of Rome:

Stephen I seems to have been the first pope to have appealed to the classic “you are Peter’ text in Matthew’s Gospel (16:18) as the basis for Roman primacy…Peter was not regarded as the first Bishop of Rome until the late second or early third century (McBrien, Richard P. Lives of the Popes: The Pontiffs from St. Peter to Benedict XVI. Harper, San Francisco, 2005 updated ed., pp. 27,28).

It needs to be understood that as far back as the second century, both Irenaeus and Tertullian taught that some version of “apostolic succession” occurred in areas other than Rome. Furthermore, even into the 21st century, the Roman Catholic Church recognizes the legitimacy of churches of the Eastern Orthodox based in cities such as Constantinople , Jerusalem, and Alexandria who were founded by someone other than the Apostle Peter (which tradition states were founded by the Apostles Andrew, James, and the gospel-writer Mark, respectively).

The consensus of scholars is that there was NOT an apostolic succession of bishops starting from Peter in Rome. And notice that according to Roman Catholic scholars, the first clear bishop of Rome was not until the middle or latter half of the second century:

ALTHOUGH CATHOLIC TRADITION, BEGINNING IN the late second and early third centuries, regards St. Peter as the first bishop of Rome and, therefore, as the first pope, there is no evidence that Peter was involved in the initial establishment of the Christian community in Rome (indeed, what evidence there is would seem to point in the opposite direction) or that he served as Rome’s first bishop. Not until the pontificate of St. Pius I in the middle of the second century (ca. 142-ca. 155) did the Roman Church have a monoepiscopal structure of government (one bishop as pastoral leader of a diocese). Those who Catholic tradition lists as Peter’s immediate successors (Linus, Anacletus, Clement, et al.) did not function as the one bishop of Rome

When Ignatius wrote his various letters in the early second century, he referred to Polycarp as a bishop and mentioned bishops in nearly all of his letters. However, in his letter to the Romans he neither addresses it to any particular leader in Rome, nor does he ever refer to anyone as a bishop in Rome.

While there were certainly a lot of religious leaders in Rome, since the actual Christian Church (according the Catholics and nearly all those who profess Christ) began in Jerusalem on the first Pentecost after Christ’s crucifixion, it is important to realize that both the Bible and Roman Catholic approved writings support the idea that there were true churches in the region the Bible refers to as Asia Minor (nearly all of which is now part of the country of Turkey).

When the Apostle John, for example, wrote the Book of Revelation, he was the last of the original 12 apostles to remain alive (and as an Apostle he ALSO would have been part of the foundation of the church as Ephesians 2:19-22 teaches). And he specifically addressed Revelation “to the seven churches which are in Asia” (Revelation 1:4), and later listed those seven (vs. 1:11) all of which were in Asia Minor (here is an article on The Seven Churches of Revelation). He also never positively addressed the church in Rome in that or any other or his known writings (nor, except in his gospel account, did he ever mention Peter).

Now John greatly outlived Peter and is believed to have lived as late as 95-100 A.D. John was an apostle, the early leaders of Rome were only presbyters. The Bible clearly teaches that apostles were first (I Corinthians 12:28). Notice that even Roman Catholic scholars understand:

Unlike Peter, the pope is neither an apostle nor an eyewitness of the Risen Lord (McBrien, Richard P. Lives of the Popes: The Pontiffs from St. Peter to Benedict XVI. Harper, San Francisco, 2005 updated ed., p.33).

Since that is true, it makes no sense that the Apostle John would be somehow subordinate to Linus, Anacletus, Clement, and Evaristus, all of whom have been claimed to have been pontiff after Peter died and while John was still alive.

http://www.cogwriter.com/news/church-hi ... nal-faith/
foxdemon wrote:Wait! But how can those people who resist God have free will if He predestined them to harden their hearts against him?

You aren't taking the piss out'a these God fearing Americans, now are you?

I don't know what you're talking about... :excited:
Heisenberg wrote:I don't know what you're talking about... :excited:

I am not sure, but I believe he is referring to Predestination.

Predestination, in theology, is the doctrine that all events have been willed by God, usually with reference to the eventual fate of the individual soul. Explanations of predestination often seek to address the "paradox of free will", whereby God's omniscience seems incompatible with human free will. In this usage, predestination can be regarded as a form of religious determinism; and usually predeterminism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination

The Bible's Teaching on Predestination

Published on Feb 21, 2016

Hindsite wrote:But the Apostle Peter is believed to have visited a Jewish community living in the old Babylon which is located in Iraq today.

By whom?

It is generally believed that Peter founded the Church of Antioch.

The "Chronicle of Eusebius" is lost; but in Jerome's translation of it we find in three successive years the three entries:

that Peter, having founded the Church of Antioch, is sent to Rome, where he perseveres as bishop for 25 years;

that Mark, the interpreter of Peter, preaches Christ in Egypt and Alexandria;

and

that Evodrius is ordained first Bishop of Antioch.

The Bodleian Codex, and just about every other surviving manuscript, gives this last year as the fourth year of Claudius's reign (44 AD), The only exceptions being the Codex Freherianus (Claudius III) and the Armenian translation (Claudius II).

There also is no known early document that states that upon his death Peter bequeathed the cathedra to anyone

A Pope does not bequeath his seat; popes are elected.

Perhaps you are thinking of Pope Symmachus (498–514), who instituted a practice of popes naming their own successors during the First Schism, which held until an unpopular choice was made in 530.

Even so, they still went through the motions of calling an election.

Catholic Encyclopedia wrote:Felix IV, when he fell seriously ill in the year 530, wished to ensure the peace of the Roman Church by naming his successor. Having given over to Archdeacon Boniface his pallium, he made it known publicly that he had chosen Boniface to succeed him, and that he had apprised the court of Ravenna of his action ("Neues Archiv", XI, 1886, 367; Duchesne, "Liber Pontificalis", I, 282, note 4). Felix IV died soon afterwards, but in the papal election which followed his wishes were disregarded.

Traditionally there have been three ways a new pope could be elected: election by acclamation quasi ex inspiratione, election per compromissum, and election by secret ballot.

The cited Catholic quotes show that the Church of Rome acknowledges that Peter labored long in Asia Minor.

The cited Catholic quotes show Peter labouring 25 years in Rome.

Furthermore, Rome was a Gentile area, not full of circumcised Israelites.

Bullcrap!

J.S. Jeffers, The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era wrote:The Jewish population of Rome ranked behind only that of Alexandria among the cities of the Roman Empire outside of Palestine.

Not one of them has explained the rock or foundation on which Christ would build His Church as the office given to Peter to be transmitted to his successors, but they understood by it either Christ Himself, or Peter’s confession of faith in Christ; often both together.

Bullcrap!

Christ accentuated Peter's precedence among the Apostles, when, after Peter had recognized Him as the Messias, He promised that he would be head of His flock. Jesus was then dwelling with His Apostles in the vicinity of Caesarea Philippi, engaged on His work of salvation. As Christ's coming agreed so little in power and glory with the expectations of the Messias, many different views concerning Him were current. While journeying along with His Apostles, Jesus asks them: "Whom do men say that the Son of man is?" The Apostles answered: "Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets". Jesus said to them: "But whom do you say that I am?" Simon said: "Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God". And Jesus answering said to him: "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter [Kipha, a rock], and upon this rock [Kipha] I will build my church [ekklesian], and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven". Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ (Matthew 16:13-20; Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-21).

By the word "rock" the Saviour cannot have meant Himself, but only Peter, as is so much more apparent in Aramaic in which the same word (Kipha) is used for "Peter" and "rock". His statement then admits of but one explanation, namely, that He wishes to make Peter the head of the whole community of those who believed in Him as the true Messias; that through this foundation (Peter) the Kingdom of Christ would be unconquerable; that the spiritual guidance of the faithful was placed in the hands of Peter, as the special representative of Christ. This meaning becomes so much the clearer when we remember that the words "bind" and "loose" are not metaphorical, but Jewish juridical terms. It is also clear that the position of Peter among the other Apostles and in the Christian community was the basis for the Kingdom of God on earth, that is, the Church of Christ. Peter was personally installed as Head of the Apostles by Christ Himself. This foundation created for the Church by its Founder could not disappear with the person of Peter, but was intended to continue and did continue (as actual history shows) in the primacy of the Roman Church and its bishops.

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]