Bill Nye: Humans are path to universe knowing itself - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Carbon 14 takes 100,000 years to completely disintegrate.

Untrue, even if we used carbon 14 dating to date fossils which we don't. uranium-238, uranium-235, and potassium-40 are what we use to date fossils.

Carbon 14 also doesn't really just disappear, it can be reformed when a neutron hits a carbon nucleus, so the level tends to stabilize at a certain point.
Holy batshit for brains Batman. Somebody told you a lie.

Whatever floats your boat, I honestly don't know why I bother with people like you. You'll never actually try to learn or understand because your so invested in being right that you can never contemplate being wrong. If I woke up tomorrow and evolution was disproven I would be fine, Its not necessary for my core beliefs to believe that there is some massive lie or conspiracy out in the real world.

Honestly I pity people like you more than anything.
mikema63 wrote:Whatever floats your boat, I honestly don't know why I bother with people like you. You'll never actually try to learn or understand because your so invested in being right that you can never contemplate being wrong. If I woke up tomorrow and evolution was disproven I would be fine, Its not necessary for my core beliefs to believe that there is some massive lie or conspiracy out in the real world.

Honestly I pity people like you more than anything.

Don't talk to them as you'll only encourage their delusions. The beauty of science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it. The truth of science will always outweigh the democratic masses of idiots with a computer and an internet connection.
You went to a public school

I was home schooled with a religious education for my formative years, I didn't learn anything about evolution in an actual class till college.

suspect life to be no older than 100, 000 years since carbon 14 can still be found in all fossils.

I gave you the explanation, you ignored it. As a byproduct of radioactive decay of material like uranium carbon 12 can be converted back into carbon 14. So after a certain point the creation and decay of carbon 14 reaches an equilibrium level.
I missremembered, it's actually nitrogen that converts to carbon 14. Regardless the point remains.

A basic overview of nitrogen carbon 14 conversion.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/carbon-141.htm

You also have to consider the high likelihood of contamination, carbon 14 is after all relatively common in the atmosphere and living cells. Our detection methods for radioactive decay are incredibly sensitive.
So I read your cute little link that breaks down the carbon 14 kindergarten style, you know, for dummies like me that can't understand shit, but I'm still confused because it talks about the atomic progressions and regressions, but for living things only. What about the dead shit buried in the ground? The nice pictures that came with this link showed no rejuvenation of carbon 14.

If your going to be hostile You can just wallow in your deliberate ignorance.

It's so sad how some people who believe in God seem so obsessed with making him as small as possible, maybe the all powerful being created a universe that you cannot easily or quickly understand.
God created us to eventually become free-willed companions, completely unfettered in spirit. With our spirit residing the closest to God with an environment void of evil, it's limited in choice so we create a soul to live a life for lessons to eventually merge our ego and soul and spirit as one. There is more to say of my belief if you're interested.

This is a personal religion I can comprehend. Thank you for retreating from the understandable, but objectionable, position of criticizing those who believe differently. I am always open to hearing personal philosophies, please feel free to elaborate.
My beliefs are pretty simple. I believe we are very primitive despite our arrogant claims to the contrary. We need to allow all ideas to flourish in a protected area to see what they reveal. This requires me to be against any type of imperialism including proselytizing in an aggressive manner.

Simply put, if you believe you have the only correct answers, then I am against you.
Except for when it comes to the origins of man, right? With this you would say evolution is the only correct answer, yes?

No, I would not say that. I believe our views on evolution will be changing soon, based on some of the work being done in the field.
Evolution is a reality, but it does not eliminate the possibility of unearthly origins.
A 19th century vagabond in the South Pacific wrote: A native girl, standing in her brown velvety skin, waist deep in the grass, laughed and revealed her pearly teeth as I tramped by, expressing in her sparkling eyes the joy of the conscious universe. Link

Humans as an example of the consciousness of the universe is a very old and widespread idea...

If you quickly read over the above quote, read it again, and slowly...

Frankly Fukuyama : Save Georgian Democracy from […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Western Think Tank who claimed otherwise before h[…]

@Rich " Race, Race, Race, Race, Race, Rac[…]

Settler colonialism is done by colonizers, indigen[…]