Does belief in God make you religious? - Page 16 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
So if I don't believe in god then I am not an atheist, if following a religion doesn't make you religious. Got it!
Pants-of-dog wrote:So, if I have a belief about a deity, I am no longer an atheist?

Belief in might be a more accurate way of expressing it.

I have a belief about Thor - I believe that he was the god of thunder in Norse mythology. That doesn't mean I believe in him or that he exists or existed.
But you do believe that Thor is a real figure in Norse mythology, and you also believe that Thor does not objectively exist.

This seems like two beliefs about a deity, rather than an absence of belief.

Or more accurately, it is two beliefs about Thor, existing simultaneously with a lack of belief in Thor's objective existence.
Pants-of-dog wrote:But you do believe that Thor is a real figure in Norse mythology,

Mythology isn't about real things so conflating real things with mythology is an oxymoron.

Pants-of-dog wrote:and you also believe that Thor does not objectively exist.

I have no belief that Thor exists. It is thus, the absence of a belief.

Pants-of-dog wrote:This seems like two beliefs about a deity, rather than an absence of belief.

Or more accurately, it is two beliefs about Thor, existing simultaneously with a lack of belief in Thor's objective existence.

I have no belief that Thor exists or existed.
The relationship between the real and the mythic (yes, something can be true and mythological, such as Ilium) is not what I am discussing.

Do you think Thor objectively exists? I do not. I explicitly think that Thor does not objectivley exist.

Rather than a lack of belief in Thor, I actovely believe in Thor's non-existence. Am I still atheist?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Do you think Thor objectively exists? I do not. I explicitly think that Thor does not objectivley exist.

I already answered in my previos post.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Rather than a lack of belief in Thor, I actovely believe in Thor's non-existence. Am I still atheist?

That's a bit like saying that you acticely do nothing. It's a bit nonsensicle.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Objective about what?

Also, do you think that it is nonsensical to explicitly believe that the FSM does not objectively exist?

I still don't see the point of using "objectively" in that sentence.
Perhaps you can explain what you mean.

You can't even provide a coherent biological defi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Winston Churchill was one of Russia's great supp[…]

Legal Analysis by University Network for HumanRigh[…]

@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is abou[…]