6 Types of atheism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By skinster
I think I might be in a few of those groups; atheist but lack interest in promoting my lack of belief thought enjoy talking about religion and stuff relating to it...enjoy some religious traditions (like Christmas)...I don't know.
By One Degree
Once again, I don't seem to fit any of those categories. Story of my life.
Of course, I may not be an atheist. I don't believe in a supreme being, but I can not deny my wife spoke to me on several occasions after her death. I tried to convince myself my mind was playing tricks on me, but I couldn't, because it was too real.
1. and 5.

Honestly, I don't really give that much of a shit aside from the affect on policy. I'll debate it here and there, but I won't bother with anybody that's religious as...who cares?

But my family is recent enough to the US that the religious identity matters, even if you don't believe at all.
By Nets
I suppose I am pretty firmly in group 6.
By fuser
5, 1 and 6.

6 because I don't see why I shouldn't be gambling and drinking on Diwali night just because a religion says to do the same.

Seriously though I won't initiate something on my own but I don't see any point in arguing with friends/family when the do and I am invited but mostly I am 5.
By mikema63
I just really like arguing about things. I've become somewhat known at work for being a devils advocate. It helps that my supervisor has a masters in philosophy and my coworker is an atheist who wants to go to divinity school to become a biblical scholar. I have another coworker whose a devout baptist who loves to preach.

It makes for an interesting workplace.
By fuser
I love to argue at workplace, with acquaintance etc but I don't with old friends and family regarding these issues, there is just no point. And even if I do I am not going to turn down the initiative plus another factor that involves religious tradition is an excuse for social gathering of some sort which is good.
By fuser
I love to argue at workplace, with acquaintance etc but I don't with old friends and family regarding these issues, there is just no point. And even if I do I am not going to turn down the initiative plus another factor that involves religious tradition is an excuse for social gathering of some sort which is mostly good.
By Nets
mikema63 wrote:Apparently 6 is the type that terrifies religious people the most.

I think that is specific to Christianity, particularly Protestant Christianity with its complete emphasis on faith (sola fide, etc). I think from a Rabbinic perspective it would be better to be a law-observant atheist than a believer who ignores the law. The first commandment is

אָנֹכִי יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ, אֲשֶׁר הוֹצֵאתִיךָ מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרַיִם מִבֵּית עֲבָדִים
I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the Land of Egypt from the House of Bondage

More of a general statement than an actual commandment towards belief. (I think Christians have a slightly different Ten Commandments, but am not certain.) I think in the middle ages "belief in God" as essential began to creep into Jewish doctrine because of Christian and Muslim influence.

Jeremiah 16:11 reads

11 then shalt thou say unto them: 'Because your fathers have forsaken Me, saith the LORD, and have walked after other gods, and have served them, and have worshipped them, and have forsaken Me, and have not kept My law;

But the Pesikta d'Rav Kahana Midrash collection (c. 600 CE I think) writes that another way to read this is

If only they had forsaken Me, but had kept My law
By Frollein
5 and I think most atheists in Europe are in that group. A quick reference for those too lazy to click the link:
1. Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic. They like debating religion, but aren’t particularly interested in chasing down believers to give them a hard time.
2. Activist. They are motivated by a strong sense of humanist values to make change in the world, often making related issues—such as feminism, gay rights, or the environment—a priority over simply advocating atheism.
3. Seeker-Agnostic. They don’t really believe in anything, but they are uncomfortable committing to non-belief completely.
4. Anti-Theist. Like the Intellectual Atheists, they like to argue about religion, but they are much more aggressive about it and actively seek out religious people in an effort to disabuse them of their beliefs. While most atheists limit themselves to supporting a more secular society, anti-theists tend to view ending religion as the real goal.
5. Non-Theist. They don’t believe in any gods, but don’t think about those who do very often. A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion.
6. Ritual Atheist/Agnostic. This group doesn’t really believe in the supernatural, but they do believe in the community aspects of their religious tradition enough to continue participating.
By mikema63
Of all of them, 4 is honestly the one I understand the least, I don't begrudge anyone their disinterest in discussing it. Or their desire to discuss and argue. The angry hard on for yelling at religious people on the other hand I will never really understand.
By ComradeTim
mikema63 wrote:The angry hard on for yelling at religious people on the other hand I will never really understand.

Whats difficult to understand? Yelling at others for one reason or another is a dominant trait in humanity, probably carried over from our simian ancestors. Why should atheists be any different?

We all know those supposed "political fact ch[…]

Dude...all life has a common ancestor Then why s[…]

All that to say that simply claiming that Zionists[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Western Think Tank who claimed otherwise before ha[…]