What's wrong with Jewish settlements? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By War Angel
War Angel , why dont you support genocide, I'm serious you dont think they have any rights, you think they would do i to you, you dont recognizse any sort of morality, IF it's in the best interests of Israel why not do it? You dont care what happens to them how shitty their lives are, do you not support genocide as a practical thing as it wouldnt be in israel bes interests ? Or do you have some morality?

The personal, moral and international price of a genocide would be too much for Israel to pay. That is why I generally oppose it. It's not out of compassion for my enemy, but care for my people's stability and well-being.
By War Angel
War Angel,

You're a selfish prick.

Aye - I will only defend what's best for me, my loved ones and my country. Anything else is bullshit I am not even going to consider. :)
By Ombrageux
The personal, moral and international price of a genocide would be too much for Israel to pay. That is why I generally oppose it. It's not out of compassion for my enemy, but care for my people's stability and well-being.

And you do not sense any contradiction between this amoral sentiment towards genocide and the founding legitimacy of the State of Israel?

For reference, here is a map of the settlements.
By clanko

Case closed.
By QatzelOk
About Jew-only hilltop towns of armed zealots, Nets wrote:They are not in Israel's short- or long- term interest, that is what's wrong with them.

This is where I closed the case.
By Maas
Colonialism has been dying for 100 years - Gandhi, Mao, Ho, Fanon, Ben Bella, and a millionn others have been assuring it - you have poor odds.

So was conquering and enslaving people. Because things always have been that way, doesn't mean that it is right.
Colonialism is just a nicer word for ethinc cleansing. The entire world has a problem with that.
Also, I do believe other people react to that by killing the colonials.
So when you approve of the one, don't go whine about the ugly terrorist killing my baby.
You reap what you sow
By War Angel
And you do not sense any contradiction between this amoral sentiment towards genocide and the founding legitimacy of the State of Israel?

The 'founding legitimacy' for the State of Israel was : Jews cannot survive without their own country.
By Kman
Palestinians are arabs that could easily live in the surrounding arab states instead of causing problems for Israel.

The west bank and Israel is jewish land, arabs should not be living there, they have the whole of the rest of the middle east to live in, but to give the jews a little piece of land for themselves? noooo that cant happen, the world will only truely become balanced when every inch of land in the middle east is controlled by muslims, according to most muslims.

Israel is basicly like west berlin during the cold war, an oasis of freedom and liberty in a deeply oppressive part of the world and the sheer presence of Israel is a thorn in the eye of middle eastern governments because it makes the muslim countries look so bad in comparison, because of their lack of personal freedoms and horribly run economies.
By clanko
They are not in Israel's short- or long- term interest, that is what's wrong with them.

This is where I closed the case.

Such a perfect and telling BETA-nuance Qatz, I was almost bought and sold.
By Tailz
War Angel wrote:Because Israel is a democratic country. The Palestinian whatever isn't. 'Palestinian Jews' would not enjoy the liberties 'Israeli Arabs' do.

Certainly at the moment I agree with you in regard to democracy under the Palestinian political system. Although we did force them to adopt democracy, hold a vote, and then have the results boycotted by us because the blokes we like didn’t win. So their attempt at democracy failed, mostly because we torpedoed it and they fall back to old factional rivaly (with us funding the guys we liked over the guys we don't like).

Kraychik wrote:Ombrageux - War Angel is dead on when rejecting your comparison of Jews to Israel as colonizers. Colonizers have a home to go back to. Jews don't. The colonialist comparison is ridiculous.

Jews don’t have homes? Are you telling me my Jewish friend is really homeless even though he always pays his rent on time? Or the Jewish friends of my mum don’t own their own farm outside Brisbane?

The home you’re discussing is some mystical magical home, the land of milk and honey of religious nuts. Israel is the place of origin of the Jews, their ancestral homeland, but Jews own homes all over the face of the globe – that is the reality of Jews today. Jews who take up the path of the settler, relinquish their homes in order to pursue an ideological and very colonial task of settling in the mystical magical land of milk and honey.

Kraychik wrote:Now, in the context of Jews being comparable to colonizers in the West Bank... you may have a point there. Still, I think the term "colonial" is inappropriate as it draws a negative and emotional comparison to violent conquests of the past. I think its use is a cheap attempt as scoring shock/emotion points.

But the term does fit the actions being carried out in the West Bank by Israeli settlers. With the shock and aarrgghh care of the IDF and angry settlers venting their spleens on whatever Palestinians are in the way. Although for the majority of the time the settlements are peaceful, violence has played its part when settlers found it a useful tool.

War Angel wrote: The personal, moral and international price of a genocide would be too much for Israel to pay. That is why I generally oppose it. It's not out of compassion for my enemy, but care for my people's stability and well-being.

So in other words, if Israel could get away with it, you would support Genocide and Ethnic Cleansing if it benefited Israel?
By kraychik
Jews don’t have homes? Are you telling me my Jewish friend is really homeless even though he always pays his rent on time? Or the Jewish friends of my mum don’t own their own farm outside Brisbane?

The home you’re discussing is some mystical magical home, the land of milk and honey of religious nuts. Israel is the place of origin of the Jews, their ancestral homeland, but Jews own homes all over the face of the globe – that is the reality of Jews today. Jews who take up the path of the settler, relinquish their homes in order to pursue an ideological and very colonial task of settling in the mystical magical land of milk and honey.

Allow me to clarify, Jews don't have homes via our Judaism. You're also ignoring the reality (or just forgetting) that many Jews living in Israel were born in Israel, and definitely have nowhere else to go. You're also ignoring (or just forgetting) that many Jews in Israel who emigrated from Europe lost their citizenship to their home country (my parents had their citizenships from the USSR revoked when they left the country to come to Canada), or had much less than well-off Jews that you're referring to in your home country. Many Jews in Israel are refugees for one reason or another (famine in Ethiopia in the 80s, or persecution in Europe, for example). If other Jews from wealthier countries want to join Israel to support their fellow Jews, how can this be put into a negative light by using the word colonial? Colonial is a ridiculous word to use when describing Israeli policies or Zionist ideology. Colonialism is about wealth accumulation and territorial accumulation for power. Jews who immigrate to Israel from rich countries aren't typically benefiting themselves financially, as Israel has a lower standard of living than most Western countries. When Jews from the USA, Canada, or Australia (as well as other rich countries) make Aliyah to Israel they are sacrificing their standard of living (generally speaking) to be part of a greater collective. This so ISN'T colonial.
By QatzelOk
Jews don't have homes via our Judaism.

Birthright Israel called. They want you to call them back to clear up a misunderstanding.

This so ISN'T colonial.

The two local Jewish people I know who moved to Israel this year were both nabbed in a telemarketing scam, and escaped to Israel before being put on trial. I guess penal colonies are a type of colonialism.
By Tailz
Kraychik wrote:Allow me to clarify, Jews don't have homes via our Judaism.

So belonging to a religious order is supposed to grant a person some mystical right to live somewhere? So where is my Atheist homeland?

Kraychik wrote: You're also ignoring the reality (or just forgetting) that many Jews living in Israel were born in Israel, and definitely have nowhere else to go. You're also ignoring (or just forgetting) that many Jews in Israel who emigrated from Europe lost their citizenship to their home country (my parents had their citizenships from the USSR revoked when they left the country to come to Canada), or had much less than well-off Jews that you're referring to in your home country. Many Jews in Israel are refugees for one reason or another (famine in Ethiopia in the 80s, or persecution in Europe, for example). If other Jews from wealthier countries want to join Israel to support their fellow Jews, how can this be put into a negative light by using the word colonial? Colonial is a ridiculous word to use when describing Israeli policies or Zionist ideology. Colonialism is about wealth accumulation and territorial accumulation for power. Jews who immigrate to Israel from rich countries aren't typically benefiting themselves financially, as Israel has a lower standard of living than most Western countries. When Jews from the USA, Canada, or Australia (as well as other rich countries) make Aliyah to Israel they are sacrificing their standard of living (generally speaking) to be part of a greater collective. This so ISN'T colonial.

You’re crossing the wires of various issues here Kraychik, and trying to draw one conclusion.

...Immigration...
I have no problem with Jews making Aliyah; if fact I totally support any Jew who wishes to move to Israel/Palestine, if that is where you want to live, then go and join that community. Where I don’t support Aliyah is the political ideological connotations that have become associated with doing so as a part of the Zionist aim of judenising Israel/Palestine. The giving of Israeli citizenship freely to any Jewish foreigner from around the world creates the first step in formalising a double standard between Jewish citizens of Israel, and Non-Jewish Citizens of Israel – the precedence is set, that Jews are more welcome, and worth more to the state than any other members of the state, for the sole reason that they are Jewish.

...Refugees...
In the past Jews have been mistreated, discriminated against, and had major crimes against humanity committed against them for no other reasons other than they are Jewish. Such treatment is unacceptable. I don’t care who is it, but anyone fleeing persecution should be given safe sanctuary by anyone and everyone who can. Thus why I again, have no problem with Jews who are fleeing persecution, immigrating to Israel/Palestine in order to seek a life free of persecution. Where I do encounter a problem is when those fleeing persecution are channelled (ether through the act of restricting of the avenues down which they can flee, eg: the lobbying of the American and British governments during the Second World War by the Zionist Congress. The provision of one way passage, eg: the famous sea voyages from Europe to Israel. Or in modern times coerced to make Aliyah by perpetuating fears of a second Holocaust) into Zionist projects to fulfil Zionist political objectives such as settling land with a Jewish population. That, I see as taking advantage of the misfortune of those fleeing persecution (in modern days this is the spectre of persecution) for the political gains of a movement – which leads into...

...Colonialism...
Colonialism is not just about reaping the financial rewards by exploiting land, although that certainly was an aspect of colonialism as seen in the historic precedence’s of the British exploitation of India. Colonialism also encompasses a state expanding itself by annexing lands upon which its citizens have settled, which is exactly what is the intention of Israeli settlement construction. The interplay between the issues of Refugees and Immigration is when those new arrivals are directed towards settlements for the purpose of establishing a Jewish population for the annexing of the settlement into the Israeli metropolis.

So where does this leave us, it leaves us with a number of different answers depending upon the motivation and acts carried out by each new arrival. So engage me on specific issues, and I’ll give you a lot more of a clear answer than when you try and muddy a single issue by covering it in the litter of a number of other issues.
By kraychik
tailz wrote:So belonging to a religious order is supposed to grant a person some mystical right to live somewhere? So where is my Atheist homeland?

When I say that Jews don't have a homeland via our Judaism in order to reinforce WA's point about Jewish/Zionist ideology NOT being comparable to colonialism, I thought it was understood that this goes beyond religion. This ties into other subjects we've discussed here in these forums, namely defining the Jewish nation. I think it's simplistic to say that simply being of a certain faith (Judaism in this case, with respect to Jewish permissions to citizenship in Israel) is the green light to Israel. We've discussed that Judaism is much more than simply religion, it's evolved over time to shape cultures, values, political/social perspectives, various languages, a sense of shared history, etc. There's much more to being Jewish than simply religious faith, and you've acknowledged that. That being said, Jewish claim to nationhood is rooted in the entirety of our nationhood, which isn't limited to just our faith, as stated in my previous sentence. It's also silly to refer to Jewish access to Israel as a "mystical right" rooted in religion. Zionism isn't particularly religiously-oriented, as far as political ideologies go. You seem to be undermining the Jewish claim to nationhood, and by extension the Jewish claim to statehood (which goes hand in hand with Jewish permissions to become citizens). You do this in two ways, 1) Oversimplifying the reasons for Jewish access to Aliyah by describing is as a "mystical right to live somewhere" based on belonging to a "religious order", when in reality, Aliyah is there to enforce statehood for the nation of Jews, which connects to Jewish nationhood (discussed thoroughly, already) and therefore Jewish claims to statehood (also thoroughly discussed, I think). 2) Turning a positive into a negative by describing Israel law of return (formal Israeli law guaranteeing citizenship to any Jew from abroad, with some exceptions) as discriminatory. What other country gives automatic access to Jews for citizenship? Nobody. This is a beautiful thing. Many refugees have been given much greater opportunities at a better life through this law when other countries wouldn't have even considered them. This law is a part of Israel maintaining itself as a home for Jews, which is pretty much its reason for existence. Israel was established on the premise of being a homeland for Jews. I support the arguments advanced for the NEED for Israel to be what it is. And the law of return is a part of that. Other nations and groups can and have formed their own nationalist movements throughout history.

If you want an atheist homeland, feel free to start a grassroots project, take a few notes out of the Zionist playbook (the ultimate grassroots success story), and good luck!

You’re crossing the wires of various issues here Kraychik, and trying to draw one conclusion.

...Immigration...
I have no problem with Jews making Aliyah; if fact I totally support any Jew who wishes to move to Israel/Palestine, if that is where you want to live, then go and join that community. Where I don’t support Aliyah is the political ideological connotations that have become associated with doing so as a part of the Zionist aim of judenising Israel/Palestine. The giving of Israeli citizenship freely to any Jewish foreigner from around the world creates the first step in formalising a double standard between Jewish citizens of Israel, and Non-Jewish Citizens of Israel – the precedence is set, that Jews are more welcome, and worth more to the state than any other members of the state, for the sole reason that they are Jewish.

What's wrong with Jews wanting to make Aliyah to Israel to live within a society that they feel more comfortable in? If Jews move to Israel with Zionist motivations to reinforce a country that's done so much for worldwide Jewry, how is that a bad thing? It's the ultimate charitable donation, to give your life (so to speak) to move to Israel and make it your home, and to bring your skills/education/desire to the country to improve it. How can you make this out to be some dark agenda? Remember, Jews who come from rich countries are typically reducing their standards of living when coming to Israel (not significantly, but Israel is definitely a step or two down with respect to comfort and luxury when compared to the USA, Canada, and Australia, for example), and are making this sacrifice for a cause bigger than themselves. I can't see how this can be denigrated. I also don't see what's wrong with reinforcing the Jewish community within Israel. It's a Jewish country in a very simple way (of course there are non-Jews living there, though), but that doesn't immunize Israel's Jewish character from threats over time. Jews are a super-duper-mini minority in this world. I think we compose the smallest fraction of a percent of the world's population. Israel and its Zionist/Jewish ideologies is a huge part of the resurgence of Judaism in the worldwide Jewish community. Not only is Israel's mission to be a safe home for Jews, but also to maintain Jewish culture over time. This objective is assisted via the law of return. It's not about infringing on the rights of non-Jews or forming a double-standard, although some people may perceive it that way. I don't think Muslims or Christians face the same long-term threats to their culture over time that Jews do (I think that's an obvious point). It isn't about Jews being more welcome, it's about enacting laws that do not unreasonably discriminate against non-Jews while working towards Israel's Jewish/Zionist ideals. Israel's Jewish/Zionist ideals do not operate without limits, it's not as if Israel if destroying all non-Jewish elements of its culture or deporting non-Jews. It's a balance that I believe (and most Jews believe) Israel is accomplishing well, for the most part. I want to pay more attention to the greater reasons behind Israel's Jewish/Zionist-inspired laws, and not the face-value results (minor inequalities between Jews and non-Jews, for example the law of return only applying to Jews). In summary, Israel has taken reasonable measures to ensure that it remains the Jewish homeland while still being a good place to live for all its citizens. Of course there are some inequalities (i.e. the law of return), but these are minor as reasonable. I'm much less concerned with the "message" you claim that this message (Jews are more welcome than non-Jews) sends and much more concerned with the goals that these laws work towards and play a role in accomplishing.

...Refugees...
In the past Jews have been mistreated, discriminated against, and had major crimes against humanity committed against them for no other reasons other than they are Jewish. Such treatment is unacceptable. I don’t care who is it, but anyone fleeing persecution should be given safe sanctuary by anyone and everyone who can. Thus why I again, have no problem with Jews who are fleeing persecution, immigrating to Israel/Palestine in order to seek a life free of persecution. Where I do encounter a problem is when those fleeing persecution are channelled (ether through the act of restricting of the avenues down which they can flee, eg: the lobbying of the American and British governments during the Second World War by the Zionist Congress. The provision of one way passage, eg: the famous sea voyages from Europe to Israel. Or in modern times coerced to make Aliyah by perpetuating fears of a second Holocaust) into Zionist projects to fulfil Zionist political objectives such as settling land with a Jewish population. That, I see as taking advantage of the misfortune of those fleeing persecution (in modern days this is the spectre of persecution) for the political gains of a movement – which leads into...

I'm not certain that any significant number of Jews fleeing persecution went to Israel via coercion. When my parents emigrated from Russia in 1979, they spent about nine months in Italy (Spain was the other layover point for emigrating Russian Jews) as a sort of half-way point before coming to Canada. Israel had sent out "invitations" to Jews living in Europe so they could leave (the USSR would only allow a Jewish person to leave if he/she had an invitation from Israel, as part of a PR effort to reunite Jews with their families in Israel, and due to pressure from the USA to allow Jews to leave). My parents told me some funny stories about a sort of "boiler room" moment when Jews leaving the USSR were pressured by Zionist representatives to make Israel their choice for a new home. My parents had already decided on Canada. I'm sure this was similar to a hard-sell that you might encounter with a used car salesperson or a timeshare salesperson. It may be slightly uncomfortable, but a normal person isn't going to make a choice regarding where they're going to live due to some pressure from a nobody. My point is, I've never heard of Zionist pressures motivating Jews to move to Israel out of fear. And I know a lot of Jews and have heard countless anecdotes! All of my family friends are Russian Jews who did the same: left the USSR in the 70s/80s and moved to Canada or the USA. Jews who chose to move to Israel did it for the right reasons: pioneer attitude, affinity with the Jewish culture, solidarity with the Zionist ideology, etc... not out of fear or pressure or negative things like that. Bottom line, I haven't seen any real evidence that efforts undertaken by Zionist agents to encourage Jewish immigration to Israel that took place in a coercive/negative manner were effective. Furthermore, the vast majority of Zionist outreach to Jews living outside of Israel, historically and contemporarily, appealed to positive virtues: solidarity with Jews and Zionism, the chance to be a part of something new and exciting, climate, financial/social incentives, etc.

...Colonialism...
Colonialism is not just about reaping the financial rewards by exploiting land, although that certainly was an aspect of colonialism as seen in the historic precedence’s of the British exploitation of India. Colonialism also encompasses a state expanding itself by annexing lands upon which its citizens have settled, which is exactly what is the intention of Israeli settlement construction. The interplay between the issues of Refugees and Immigration is when those new arrivals are directed towards settlements for the purpose of establishing a Jewish population for the annexing of the settlement into the Israeli metropolis.

So where does this leave us, it leaves us with a number of different answers depending upon the motivation and acts carried out by each new arrival. So engage me on specific issues, and I’ll give you a lot more of a clear answer than when you try and muddy a single issue by covering it in the litter of a number of other issues.

Hang on a moment, it's not my fault that the issues we discuss here touch on many things, like you've listed. I'm not trying to muddy any waters. Although colonialism may also encompass expansionism, which Israel clearly seems to be engaging in via settlements in the West Bank, there's still so much more to colonialism. Just because Israel's expansionism appears at face value to resemble a component of colonialism, it's still only a part of colonialism. Obviously you'd agree that colonialism is an emotional word with a negative connotation. I'm also certain you'd agree that colonialism is much more associated with things that do NOT reflect Israel's Zionist/Jewish policies. As WA and I have already elaborated on, worldwide Jewry moving to Israel don't have a home to call their own. We're not part of a greater collective with out own home, such as British or French colonizers of the past. This is a HUGE difference. Jews moving to Israel didn't go there bringing armies and subjugating the population. Jews didn't slaughter the local population. Jews didn't go there to extract wealth and ship it back to some main base country. I could go on and on, but if you're honest you'll concede that describing Israel is simply ridiculous and only serves to score emotional shock points to "strengthen" the anti-Israel position in a cheap way. So, going forward, I would not dispute some of Israel's policies as being expansionist, but they're not colonial. You seem to be the type of person who likes to be accurate, wouldn't you agree that 'expansionist' is a better term than 'colonial'? I mean, come on... this is pretty obvious.
By War Angel
Certainly at the moment I agree with you in regard to democracy under the Palestinian political system. Although we did force them to adopt democracy, hold a vote, and then have the results boycotted by us because the blokes we like didn’t win. So their attempt at democracy failed, mostly because we torpedoed it and they fall back to old factional rivaly (with us funding the guys we liked over the guys we don't like).

EXACTLY my point. They 'get' democracy, then they pick a non-democratic terror organisation which proceeds to cleanse the opposition (literally - start killing Fatah voters). They do not understand, respect or even want democracy. I wouldn't want to live in a country like that, and if the Arabs gain a majority, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Jews don’t have homes?

They have homes, but without Israel, they wouldn't have a home. If you ever decide "Hey, let's kick out the Jews. No, better yet, let's gas 'em!", which really wouldn't be an historic precedent, then the Jews could come here. They wouldn't become refugees, or die. Israel is the Jews' home, where-ever they are and whatever happens to them.

Europe is almost Juden-rein, but other parts of the world still have Jews in them. If those places ever become.. inhospitable for Jews, they can come here. Here, they stand a chance virtually against anyone and anything that attempts to destroy them.

I wish it was mystical. I wish we were no different, and no-one had ever tried to exterminate us. But, they did, they still want to, and that means we have to take steps. Jews may be living peacefully in Australia and the USA now, but who knows what will happen years from now? There's no telling, and history hasn't exactly been kind to the Jewish people.
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
Europe is almost Juden-rein, but other parts of the world still have Jews in them.
After the USA and Israel it holds the 3rd largest jewish population in the world. This figure increases if you include other countries in Europe outside the EU.
How on earth can you casually dismiss the existence of over 1.5 million people to fit your distorted propaganda?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population

By War Angel
How on earth can you casually dismiss the existence of over 1.5 million people to fit your distorted propaganda?

France, the European country with the largest Jewish population, where the Jews account for less than one percent.

Yeah, Europe is pretty much Jew-free.
By Tailz
War Angel wrote:EXACTLY my point. They 'get' democracy, then they pick a non-democratic terror organisation which proceeds to cleanse the opposition (literally - start killing Fatah voters). They do not understand, respect or even want democracy. I wouldn't want to live in a country like that, and if the Arabs gain a majority, that's exactly what's going to happen.

I didn’t hear about Hamas members pouring onto the street after the election to begin a pogrom against rival Fatah members – I did hear about conflict between Fatah and Hamas members (even gun battles) when we boycotted the Hamas political figures that won the election and instead supported Fatah in a coup against the elected Hamas representatives – we even provided Fatah with the guns to fight Hamas. Sounds more like we don’t respect democracy although we expound its principles.

War Angel wrote: I wish it was mystical. I wish we were no different, and no-one had ever tried to exterminate us. But, they did, they still want to, and that means we have to take steps. Jews may be living peacefully in Australia and the USA now, but who knows what will happen years from now? There's no telling, and history hasn't exactly been kind to the Jewish people.

History has not been kind to the Jewish people, no disagreement from me there – but should we given Jews higher privileges than other people who also, history has not been kind too?

You just don’t get it do you War Angel, while there is inequality – even positive discrimination with the best of intentions – there will always be the chance that those you piss off will rise up against you and destroy you; thus why working towards equality, equality for all, is a better alternative than perpetuating continued inequality and discrimination that itself breeds hate against you. You want to break the cycle of violence against Jews? Then break the cycle of inequality – only then will Jews, and everyone, be safe.
By kraychik
tailz - As much as I love the idea of all of the people's of the world holding hands in the sentiment of brotherhood and sisterhood, we're not yet at the point where the Star Trek universe is a reality. And even in Star Trek there was still beef between the Federation and many aliens. Roddenberry wasn't naive.

You are mistaken about this. Even if you studied […]

He is a bad candidate. He is the only candidat[…]

How do the tweets address the claims by the UN Rap[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The 2nd Punic War wasn't bad for Rome because a) […]