Hate Thy Neighbour - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By Tailz
I’m not posting this report in an attempt to smear Israel or the actions of settlers (they do that well enough on their own), but rather to look at the quality of reporting the conflict itself. There are a number of elements in this report that I think were carried out incorrectly, or in contradiction to the ethics I hold in regard to reporting this conflict. So I thought I would see what other people here on this forum think.

Confrontational Sensationism Reporting – Elements of this are when the reporter lays down the point about the settlements being illegal (said akin to a demand for recognition of his point of view). Next is when the reporter holds the door open of the Settler and asks him questions through the held open door. Poor reporting style, even though the message is important.

Please read and view the movie of the Article befor adding your comments: 60mins: Hate Thy Neighbour

I must admit, I am not a fan of 60mins, and it is this kind of reporting that I dislike.
By chaostrivia
This report is indeed a journalist work of the lowest standard.

The report could have reported the FASCINATING events take took place on the same day of the shooting, which it choose to totally ignore. Instead, it limited itself only to this isolated shooting event, not without using it to project that "Israeli settlers are evil" from it. Its goal was to convince does who are already convinced that Israel is evil, and not to tell new exciting things. And there was a lot to tell. So many important facts were left out of the report that, considering them, this report could even be categorized as "propaganda", despite the attempt to look very western and neutral.

There is a transcription at the bottom of the video posted. If you want to know how I would have reported the same event (without isolating it from the chain of events that happened that day), let me know. I need a promise that you will read my post in full, because it is going to be exhausting to write it... :) My view of the event might surprise you all, my dear Israel-haters.

p.s.
The reporter does not speak neither Hebrew nor Arabic. How could he possibly understand the events that are happening? by watching CNN or al-jazeera? 99% of the events that happen day by day in this crazy conflict never end up having an English version.
I mean, this guy can NOT do ANY kind of research if he cant even listen to the Israel/palestinian radio, read the newspapers on both sides, and watch TV.
I think that just this fact makes him a-priori unsuitable from reporting from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, regardless of how talented or good looking he is. If I were the manager of a TV network that respects itself, "Knowledge of Hebrew AND Arabic" would be the 1st most important requirement in recruiting a reporter to WB/Israel/Gaza....
Moreover, If I were to be sent to report something that is happening in Germany or Russia, I would gladly go, as I fluently speak German and Russian as well. But if somebody was to send me to report from Brazil, a country of which I have no clue and I don't even speak the language, I would have said: "sorry, i'm not suitable for the task." This kind of honesty not only press reporters but also most of the Israel-haters on this board do not possess.
By redcarpet
Press reports usually include propaganda techniques. Confrontation is one of them.
By Tailz
Chaostrivia wrote:The report could have reported the FASCINATING events take took place on the same day of the shooting, which it choose to totally ignore. Instead, it limited itself only to this isolated shooting event, not without using it to project that "Israeli settlers are evil" from it. Its goal was to convince does who are already convinced that Israel is evil, and not to tell new exciting things. And there was a lot to tell. So many important facts were left out of the report that, considering them, this report could even be categorized as "propaganda", despite the attempt to look very western and neutral.

60miniutes is nether biased or unbiased, their looking for sensationalism, infotainment - stuff that people will look at and go "Oohh ahhh, how horrible!" They work on simple emotions, like most of that reality TV crap, they want to tell you who to be angry at, and why you should be angry.

Had they concentrated on all the fascinating and exciting (all the good things) things going on in Israel, the report would have been propaganda indeed, just pro-israeli propaganda. I don't doubt good things go on in Israel, but this report was suposed to be about the conflict between Israeli settlers and Palestinians, the report touches on some important issues, but the quality of interviewing and research lets down the issues that should be discussed.

Even a number of the pro-Israeli forum members here have already discredited the actions of fanatical settlers.

chaostrivia wrote:There is a transcription at the bottom of the video posted. If you want to know how I would have reported the same event (without isolating it from the chain of events that happened that day), let me know. I need a promise that you will read my post in full, because it is going to be exhausting to write it... :) My view of the event might surprise you all, my dear Israel-haters.

Don't bother, these days I rarely get a chance to post more than a few lines of text, most of my browsing of PoFo is done on my iPhone while on the train (and after I write this I am jumping on a train, so this amount of text is unusal for my current busy situation). But from what I have read of your posts so far Chaostrivia, and your comments above, you would I estimate, re-write a pro-israeli version of the report - which I am not intrested in. The problem is that there is a conflict, and the reporting of the conflict is both biased depending upon the media outlet (and if it is ballanced, the side that feels their getting the bad press will claim bias reguardless), and poor quality as far as the professionalism and fact reporting of the observers.

chaostrivia wrote:The reporter does not speak neither Hebrew nor Arabic. How could he possibly understand the events that are happening?

Nether do I or a lot of other forum members, yet a number of us seem to be following the conflict rather well. And in a number of cases, understanding the language is not going to paint a different picture of what is happening - take for example the video of the IDF soldiers shooting a detained Palestinian. It is quite obvious from the video, even without sound, that it was a clear cut case of abuse in custody by the soldiers.

chaostrivia wrote:I mean, this guy can NOT do ANY kind of research if he cant even listen to the Israel/palestinian radio, read the newspapers on both sides, and watch TV.

Yes, researchers can carry out research - I study the German army of the Second World War, almost all of the material I use is in German - a language I don't understand apart from a number of military terms - yet I have access to translators, and translations of those very documents. So obviously, language is not a barrier to research if your proffessional in your approach.

chaostrivia wrote:This kind of honesty not only press reporters but also most of the Israel-haters on this board do not possess

Oh jezzz, enough with the "Israel-haters on this board." Claiming everyone who critizes Israel is an Israel-Hater is just... lame. Character assassination is just a poor attempt to avoid the uncomfortable issues raised by people who ask inconvenient questions.

Chaostrivia, your new here to PoFo, your making all the same mistakes all new Pro-Israeli forum members make - the instant you see anyone discrediting Israel, you claim their Israel-Haters or anti-semites... The rational pro-israeli's grow out of that phase after a while, while some members don't.

Anyway, welcome to the forum...
By chaostrivia
Just in case you think that I am with the shooting settler and his gang, then you are very wrong.
I would never present untruths or lies as facts. My report would not have been "pro-Israeli" but "pro-truth", "pro-high-quality-journalism", or most precisely: "reporting the interesting events that require minimal research and understanding of the conflict and not those that everybody already know".

Don't bother, these days I rarely get a chance to post more than a few lines of text, most of my browsing of PoFo is done on my iPhone while on the train. But from what I have read of your posts so far Chaostrivia, and your comments above, you would I estimate, re-write a pro-israeli version of the report - which I am not intrested in. The problem is that there is a conflict, and the reporting of the conflict is both biased depending upon the media outlet (and if it is ballanced, the side that feels their getting the bad press will claim bias reguardless), and poor quality as far as the professionalism and fact reporting of the observers.

I was just hoping that you would be interested in understanding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict better, but not surprisignly I was wrong.
This is why I asked you, before I bother to tell you about the whole chain of events that took place on that day of the 4th of December 2008, from which this isolated convenient one was singled-out in order to make the report have the end-result it was predestined to have. The events are fascinating, but are less appealing and attractive to know for those who just want Israel look bad.

Nether do I or a lot of other forum members, yet a number of us seem to be following the conflict rather well. And in a number of cases, understanding the language is not going to paint a different picture of what is happening - take for example the video of the IDF soldiers shooting a detained Palestinian. It is quite obvious from the video, even without sound, that it was a clear cut case of abuse in custody by the soldiers.

This video was de-facto taken by Israelis in Dec. 2008 and published worldwide. Just showing it and discussing couple of trivial things about it is not really journalism. No research is involved.

But if I rephrase the above paragraph of yours, you actually say that from this video alone one could understand exactly what is happening. And this is exactly what is preventing you from understanding what is really happening.

Yes, researchers can carry out research - I study the German army of the Second World War, almost all of the material I use is in German - a language I don't understand apart from a number of military terms - yet I have access to translators, and translations of those very documents. So obviously, language is not a barrier to research if your proffessional in your approach.

You research an event that happened in the past. The events occured already, their implications are known, other people already summarized them and analyzed them for you in part, and you just make your own small additions.

This event is happening in the present, in the era of the internet and fast information.
To understand what people really think and what is really going on day by day, you just have to read the Israeli and Palestinian daily newspapers and listen to the media on both sides, as I do, DAY BY DAY. All of this information is mandatory to be able to properly analyze the chain of events that happen daily and draw the right conclusions.

FOR EXAMPLE! this guy who closed the door behind the Australian reporter (with which he will never speak... how idiotic of the reporter to even expect that he will speak with him) appeared on Israeli TV couple of months ago and told everything he has to say about the incident.... everything the guy had to do is ask the Israel TV for the recording and translate it into English.... But how can he know of its existence if he doesn't speak the language and do real research?
He just puts his make up and white shirt, goes to make a pseudo-journalist work for like couple of days, and then flies back to Australia with the same ignorance of the conflict he had when he arrived.

p.s. have you read this one? http://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-Army-Sold ... 0195079035
p.p.s.: I do German-Hebrew and German-English translations for fun and a side-income. At the moment I target only the Israeli market, I have more than enough work. http://www.hebrewgerman.com/ . So in case you need a translation job done for less $$... let me know :)
Besides, I have translated already a lot of stuff previously for my clients from the German writings of the WWII period. So perhaps by chance I already have something you need translated?! let me know, maybe I do.

Oh jezzz, enough with the "Israel-haters on this board." Claiming everyone who critizes Israel is an Israel-Hater is just... lame. Character assassination is just a poor attempt to avoid the uncomfortable issues raised by people who ask inconvenient questions.

Some are criticizing Israel. Others are Israel-haters: these are defined by me as those who will never talk about anything but the "Israeli crimes", such as maas. People who post only in 1D. Israel. Israel. Israel.

https://rickroderick.org/302-heidegger-an[…]

I trust Biden with my country, I wouldn't go as[…]

@Pants-of-dog the tweets address official statem[…]

No dummy, my source is Hans Rosling. https://en.[…]