Tasmania to try and Ban cigarettes to anyone born after 2000 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Godstud wrote:Most people think it won't happen to them or become used to the idea that it probably already has, so they convince themselves not to stop.

Some just smoke the occasional Cigar or pipe tobacco. And if Smoked properly the risk of Lung Cancer is very low, higher than without it, but still very very low.

Cigarettes are the real issue, because that smoke goes into the lungs.

It's TRUE though that it matters how the cigarettes are smoked. If the smoker is using the cig like they would a cigar, and only drawing the smoke to their mouth, They most likely WON'T get lung cancer... Hence you end up with those "he smoked all day but he never got Cancer" stories. Those stories have some truth, because most likely the person was a "shallow" smoker.

The issues with Cigars or Pipes is that they expose people around you to a higher potential of passive smoking, and also cause mouth rot(and throat cancer if smoked all the time). They ARE less addictive due to the manner in which the Nicotine is absorbed. More Nico in far less time. They give you a bigger hit of Nicotene all at once and ironically that can stop the cravings for "another one".

Personally I think Ciggies should be regulated better, but Cigars, rollies and pipes should be left alone. Water Vapor electric ciggies are illegal in our country, due to the "fire risk", which should be overturned.
Colliric wrote:Water Vapor electric ciggies are illegal in our country, due to the "fire risk", which should be overturned.
That's silly. Those things actually work, and don't cause second hand smoke, etc. I have a couple friends who use them and they are amazing. You can even get Marlboro flavour, apple, etc.

Igor Antunov wrote:Generally if you must make a habit of something, become addicted to exercise or gnawing on carrots...or something.
or something, eh?
I gave up smoking many years ago; not because it was bad for me, but because I came to see it as an issue of self-respect. It is one thing to be controlled by people and laws, but quite another to give in to an in-animate object.

I am opposed to the over-regulation of society, this includes our smoking habits. The problem with the Nani-State is that its regulations are always made to protect us from ourselves. In this case the justification is also the financial pressure on the Public Health system.

A more effective anti-tobacco campaign would be to exclude smokers from Medicare. But that would rescind some of the regulators control. That is a bitter pill for them to swallow.
colliric wrote:It's TRUE though that it matters how the cigarettes are smoked. If the smoker is using the cig like they would a cigar, and only drawing the smoke to their mouth, They most likely WON'T get lung cancer... Hence you end up with those "he smoked all day but he never got Cancer" stories. Those stories have some truth, because most likely the person was a "shallow" smoker.

Most smokers actually won't get cancer, including lung cancer, regardless of how they smoke. The anti-smoking campaign has been so successful that people have come to believe smokers developing cancer is almost a certainty. It is rather impressive how they managed to influence public opinion by presenting facts in a way that makes smoking look like a de facto killer:

livescience wrote: Surprisingly, fewer than 10 percent of lifelong smokers will get lung cancer. Fewer yet will contract the long list of other cancers, such as throat or mouth cancers. In the game of risk, you're more likely to have a condom break than to get cancer from smoking.

That the majority of smokers beat cancer doesn't make for effective anti-smoking campaigning. So the statistics are turned around: Smoking accounts for 30 percent of all cancer deaths and 87 percent of lung cancer deaths; the risk of developing lung cancer is about 23 times higher in male smokers compared to non-smokers; smoking is associated with increased risk of at least 15 types of cancer; or that smoking causes millions of deaths worldwide.

He is not having sex with people. He is not tryin[…]

I see rather a lot of pick up truck stickers here […]

Has Iran attacked Israel yet? The reality is, o[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Put[…]