Yet another racist attack in Melbourne bus - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
OP wrote:She turned to apologise but the woman launched a racist verbal attack on her.

Nope, cannot be racism. Must be something else.

:|

But yes there are a lot of easily agitated and frustrated people on the street. And Australia doesn't really take care of people who are mentally ill (I am not saying this is the case here), so from time to time you will see mentally unstable people clearly drunk, walking around aimlessly and throwing random verbal abuses at people.
After continued abuse the victims left the bus but were followed by the angry woman and a friend.

what really gets me about these attacks is how so often its not just one individual. In this case a "friend" joined in - but in the bus attack two seemingly unrelated people just seemed to spontaneously join in the fun :hmm:

Sure I understand the whole bystander apathy effect and why people wouldn't want to stand up to the attackers, but its quite disturbing seeing the exact opposite happening.
It was partly the victims' fault as one of the Indian women accidentally bumped her bag into the Aussie woman as she boarded the bus and sometimes Australia's extreme heat waves interfere with moral judgement and make some people cranky for no apparent reason and foreigners in Australia may have to learn to cope with it.
ThirdTerm wrote:It was partly the victims' fault as one of the Indian women accidentally bumped her bag into the Aussie woman as she boarded the bus and sometimes Australia's extreme heat waves interfere with moral judgement and make some people cranky for no apparent reason and foreigners in Australia may have to learn to cope with it.

I'm sorry but are you a joke account?
The offender is described as being about 160cm tall, of a very solid build, with short, spiky blonde hair. She was wearing three-quarter length blue pants and a black, short-sleeved T-shirt with Burberry written on the front.

The offender's friend was also believed to be in her 30s, Caucasian, about 162cm tall, of a small, skinny build with dull blonde hair tied into a ponytail.

Draw your own conclusion there.... :| but they sound like a couple of butch lesbians. Maybe the headline should read "hetero bashing" instead?

VIC police crime stats 2001/12

In 2011/12 there were 198 recorded assaults at bus stops / buses. Just under 4 per week.

The assaults only seem to get reported when the victim is not a so-called caucasian-Australian. What of the other 196 assaults? Not worth a news story maybe? :eh:

I'd venture to say that this assault is just one of the statistics and the victims race is not a significant factor

From the linked news article
A Victoria Police spokesperson said they were concentrating on the assault side, rather than solely on the verbal abuse.

“The whole racial side of things is really actually a very small part of this whole thing - we are more concerned around the assault side of things than the racial,” Senior Sergeant Bills said.

Sen-Sgt Bills said he wanted to be careful not to unduly frighten cultural groups.

“You do need to be careful that it’s not taken overboard and then scares various different cultures and communities within Melbourne, I don’t think there is any reason whatsoever for the Indian community or any other of our multicultural communities to be concerned.”

Gletkin wrote:AGAIN!!??
Seriously, what's with public transport in Australia!?

What's the assault stats from where ever you are from?
There is also a gender aspect to it as most offenders are females perhaps because they have less social responsibilities to uphold unlike men with jobs to keep and females are prone to voice their opinions in public places without thinking about consequences and the Australian police are usually quick to undermine the racial aspect of such incidents, which may inadvertently lead to the general social acceptance of such abusive behaviours.

Senior Sergeant Steve Bills of Victoria Police says a taxi was parked near the site of the assault and police are looking at the footage from its CCTV camera. Police are also appealing for witnesses to call Crime Stoppers. Last month, a French woman was racially abused on a bus to Frankston. That incident is still being investigated. The Public Transport Users Association is calling on the State Government to consider improving security on buses. The association's Tony Morton says the government needs to ensure people feel safe while travelling. "Maybe we need to have more of a focus on staffing to keep the peace, maybe even a part-time police or PSO presence on buses, similar to what Perth has on trains," he said.
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2012-12-21/police-review-taxi-cctv-after-melbourne-assault/1064292
Most of the time PSO's usually stand around with nothing to do at our train stations, which is a bit of a problem because they're equipped with firearms. They should scrap the system in favour of having more emergency call buttons at platforms.

Trams should have roving officers(plain clothes), or a conductor, like use to be the case. The firearm should be in the drivers compartment. Same for Busses, but not 1 per bus obviously. When the Drivers compartment is open and he/she can communicate with passengers, roveing officers are needed. And I think it's not constructive having them travel in packs.
ThirdTerm wrote:There is also a gender aspect to it as most offenders are females perhaps because they have less social responsibilities to uphold unlike men with jobs to keep and females are prone to voice their opinions in public places without thinking about consequences and the Australian police are usually quick to undermine the racial aspect of such incidents, which may inadvertently lead to the general social acceptance of such abusive behaviours.

I don't believe that most offenders are female but that's an interesting point you made about the 'social responsibilities of males and the ability of women to make a scene (so to speak)? Never gave that aspect too much thought but now that you mention it I see it all the time... :|

Gletkin wrote:AGAIN!!??
Seriously, what's with public transport in Australia!?

It appears this Indian lady was lucky she was not on a bus back home anyway... :|

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-03/charges-laid-against-indian-gang-rape-suspects/4451944
Except unlike India, Melbourne is part of Australia.
As I said before "Shit happens everywhere all the time" shouldn't be an excuse to deny that there's no problem.
Indians should do something about violent bus rapists, New Yorkers about nutbars shoving people in front of subway trains, and Australians about bigoted bogans assaulting people for trivial or no reason at all.
Gletkin wrote:Except unlike India, Melbourne is part of Australia.
As I said before "Shit happens everywhere all the time" shouldn't be an excuse to deny that there's no problem.
Indians should do something about violent bus rapists, New Yorkers about nutbars shoving people in front of subway trains, and Australians about bigoted bogans assaulting people for trivial or no reason at all.

Pants-of-Dog would call it a ...generalization? Anecdote? Truth is that there are numerous similar stories to tell about immigrants abusing natives, even from my tiny hometown, but they never get the publicity of a 'racist' attack. Our age, despite the internet, lacks the availability of unbiased data and surveys as ever before.
Corporatios wrote:Pants-of-Dog would call it a ...generalization?

Call what exactly a "generalization"? Stories like these?
This is the third type of incident I've heard reported by the Australian media in this year alone.

So yeah, it struck me as interesting. If the implication is that I should not have bothered posting this because "Shit like this happens all the time everywhere" then almost all the other threads on PoFo should'nt be posted either.

Corporatios wrote:Anecdote?

Crimes reported to the police are "anecdotes"?

Corporatios wrote:Truth is that there are numerous similar stories to tell about immigrants abusing natives, even from my tiny hometown, but they never get the publicity of a 'racist' attack. Our age, despite the internet, lacks the availability of unbiased data and surveys as ever before.

This is the same argument Swag already tried using.
Sure unbiased data and survey are necessary. But again, so what? Innocent people have the right to go about unmolested by criminals regardless of whether victim or perpetrator is native, immigrant, or foreign.
NORTH KUTA, Indonesia, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Police said an Australian man was stabbed in an attempt to fight off two men who broke into his villa in Indonesia where ...
30 Dec 2012 – A 16-year-old boy was stabbed in the stomach and wrist after a fight with a ... Police say they are looking for a group of Asian males aged in their late
21 Jun 2012 – An Australian woman has died after being stabbed in a botched bag ... Asia Escape Holidays managing director Mason Adams organised the......................
– Rosa Mercuri lies on the side of the road after being fatally stabbed ... The boy, who is of Asian descent, has no previous convictions and has .
Man stabbed in road rage attack in a shopping center car-park in ...................
www.news.com.au/...stabbed.../story-fnd ... 8...Share2 Sep 2012 – A MAN was stabbed multiple times following a road rage incident in ... Three men described as Asian...................
DETECTIVES are investigating whether the killer of a Melbourne taxi driver is an Asian national who had only been in Australia for two weeks.
Officers say Patrick Crowe, 22, got into an altercation with four or five men in Argyle Street near the railway station when he was stabbed in the side of his torso on Sunday about 2:00am (AEST). Pacific islander appearance 14 year old girl arrested.....................
2 Sep 2012 – A MAN has been stabbed at least eight times during a road-rage incident at a ... The offenders, described as of Asian appearance, fled on foot................
Gang of six Asian men stab four guests at green valley party 12 Dec 2011 – IT began as a celebration of reaching adulthood but ended in bloodshed when a gang of up to six Asian men stabbed four party guests.................
28 Jun 2012 – A British tourist was stabbed by a worker for an illegal tour bus in Samut Sakhon, adjacent to ... Greece · Thailand: Australian tourist killed in bag snatching...................
Two men stabbed in Sydney CBD after refusing cigarettes request NSW Police make an appeal for information in the vicious stabbing of two men in ... home and then these four Asian guys and a girl....................
No I don't have a racist agenda nor am I claiming to be a member of a victimized group This Australians are racist drunken and stupid meme in the media and elsewhere is really a load of total bullshit. This is a two way street it seems to me. If your saying we need to reduce these senseless attacks on anybody regardless of race im all for that. Its bs to suggest that foreigners are at major risk in Australian society.
Maybe this multiculturalism thing just doesnt work I dont know just this whining is really annoying
HoniSoit wrote:Was there any racial abuse against the victims?

TWO Indian women racially attacked on a bus were told to "go back to where they came from" before being slapped by another irate passenger in Melbourne's CBD.

It's in the OP's article and I remember a British woman was arrested for saying the exact same thing a few years ago and the infamous tram lady in London got into trouble in a similar circumstance but Australia is an autonomous country which is not entirely subject to British law.

In the online clip, the woman confronts several passengers, saying: "You are not British". She then starts swearing. When one passenger asks her to mind her language, saying "there are little kids on the tram", the woman points to the child on her lap and says "I've got a little kid here". The woman then says: "Go back to where you come from".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15923875

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]