Wilders Visits Australia - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By AVT
A large group of angry protesters has scuffled with people attending a Melbourne speech by controversial Dutch MP Geert Wilders.

There were verbal exchanges on Monday evening as about 200 protesters wrestled with those trying to access the venue at Somerton, in the city's north.

The demonstrators took guests' tickets and pushed them to the ground.

"What are you doing? This is a democratic society. We're allowed to go in there," one guest told the protesters.

Mounted police then moved in, forming a line to try to stop the scuffles.

"We do not want this to be an issue of confrontation and we ask you to accept the rights of all the other members of the community," one policeman said.

"If you do not move aside, we will be using force."

Most of the protesters, who chanted "racism, no way, we're going to fight it all the way", then moved on.

The group Students for Palestine organised the protest, and say demonstrators did not come looking for trouble.

"We were just standing there while actually, a number of people were charging at us, are hurting us," the group's Yasmin Shamsil said.

"There are actually people in here with bloody noses and these are all the demonstrators who are just peacefully trying to raise awareness of the fact that we oppose Islamophobia and all the things that Geert Wilders and the people who come to Geert Wilders' event preach."

The far-right politician's Australian speaking tour has been sponsored by a group called the Q Society, which is against multiculturalism.

Andrew Horwood from the Q Society blamed political correctness for the trouble.

"I think it's very sad that we've got to this stage with the cloak of political correctness that's descended on this land," he said.

"That it's hard for an organisation like this, a group of volunteers, to get places where we can freely speak and discuss something that concerns the future of this country."

Security inside the function centre was tight for Mr Wilders, who told an enthusiastic audience large-scale immigration by Muslims threatened the fabric of Australian life.

"I'm also here to warn Australia about the true nature of Islam," he said.

"It's not just a religion, as so many people mistakenly think. It's primarily a dangerous and totalitarian ideology.

"And I'm also here to warn you what is happening in my native country, the Netherlands, that that might soon happen in Australia too if you fail to be vigilant."

Mr Wilders will press on to other speaking engagements across Australia, and no doubt more protests.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-19/c ... ch/4528388

The ironic thing is the protesters who tried to stop people from entering the event are playing to Wilder's narrative, that freedom of speech is under assault in the west due to our obsession with trying not to offend anyone. Just goes to show the ideology at either extreme is just as dangerous to our democracy as each other.
By Ter
Those so called students for Palestine and similar groups also stop pro-Israeli or anti immigrant personalities from speaking in the US, Canada, and so on. It is their way of doing things, stopping people from talking.
Nice...

It will come back to bite them in their own backside, like AVT rightfully observed.
By Decky
Good for them, you shouldn't let your ideological enemies speak and spread their message, why would you?

As uncle Joe used to say...

Ideas are infinitely more dangerous than guns We don't allow our enemies to have guns, why would we allow them to have ideas?
The federal government took its time deciding whether to approve his visa before Wilders' visit to Australia and freedom of speech prevailed in the end as he was allowed to enter Australia to launch his speaking tour. An anti-racism group in Western Australia was vocal enough to cause the cancellation of Wilders' Perth speech at a posh hotel and media photos show that most protesters are white Australians who are against the Dutch MP ideologically and their freedom of speech should also be respected.

Protesters against Dutch MP Geert Wilders appearance in Melbourne. Picture: Jake Nowakowski Source: Herald Sun

CONTROVERSIAL Dutch MP Geert Wilders has been forced to cancel the Perth date of his speaking tour after he was unable to find a venue to host him. The right-wing MP, who wants a ban on Islamic immigration and says the religion is incompatible with freedom, is stirring controversy with his tour of Australia, which began in Melbourne today. An unnamed four-star CBD hotel had been set to host Wilders but pulled out late this afternoon. Host of the tour, the Q Society, said finding another venue at short notice was almost impossible because of security needed for the MP and the threat of possible protesters. Organisers of the planned Perth protest rejected the claims. "We utterly reject the accusation that we have intimidated any venue or that we ever posed a physical threat to Wilders or any of his associates,'' said protest organiser Alex Bainbridge.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/dutch-mp-geert-wilders-perth-gig-cancelled/story-e6frg13u-1226581432645
By Ter
ThirdTerm wrote: An anti-racism group in Western Australia was vocal enough to cause the cancellation of Wilders' Perth speech at a posh hotel and media photos show that most protesters are white Australians who are against the Dutch MP ideologically and their freedom of speech should also be respected.

So freedom of speech in your eyes means the right to stop other people from speaking ?
What bullshit is that ? Leftist bullshit or what ?
By AVT
ThirdTerm wrote:The federal government took its time deciding whether to approve his visa before Wilders' visit to Australia and freedom of speech prevailed in the end as he was allowed to enter Australia to launch his speaking tour. An anti-racism group in Western Australia was vocal enough to cause the cancellation of Wilders' Perth speech at a posh hotel and media photos show that most protesters are white Australians who are against the Dutch MP ideologically and their freedom of speech should also be respected.

Yep they have every right to protest, but they do not have a right to try and stop others from exercising their rights to freedom of speech, by blocking the venue, ripping up peoples tickets, even knocking one attendee to the ground they demonstrate their contempt for free speech.
Decky wrote:Good for them, you shouldn't let your ideological enemies speak and spread their message, why would you?

Ideas are infinitely more dangerous than guns We don't allow our enemies to have guns, why would we allow them to have ideas?

I reckon it's more........

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it."?

VOLTAIRE 1698-1778

There's naught wrong with protesting against Wilder's views but the right of protest ends when mobs start preventing individuals from attending. That's the point.
Decky wrote:Good for them, you shouldn't let your ideological enemies speak and spread their message, why would you?

Duh, because we're not trying to be the thought police? Just a suggestion.
Ter wrote:So freedom of speech in your eyes means the right to stop other people from speaking ?
What bullshit is that ? Leftist bullshit or what ?

They're anti-racist protesters, something that you profess to believe in. Looks like the Cultural Marxists and leftists are on your side.
By Ter
Quantum wrote:They're anti-racist protesters, something that you profess to believe in. Looks like the Cultural Marxists and leftists are on your side

Anti racism has nothing to do with it.
And there is a grammatical mistake in your sig..
Ter wrote:Anti racism has nothing to do with it.

They're self-styled anti-racists so I take them at face-value.

Ter wrote:And there is a grammatical mistake in your sig..

Where?
By Ter
Quantum wrote:Where?

the last word, finit, is not conjugated properly.

And just to avoid this being a one-liner, I resent it when they stop anyone from speaking. Anyone.
Ter wrote:the last word, finit, is not conjugated properly.

Actually I meant to use the present tense of it not the past. I was trying to write this:

"You see, Sir, my family starts where yours ends."
By Ter
You attributed the quote to Alexandre Dumas !

I suggest

Vous voyez, Monsieur, ma famille commence où la vôtre se termine.

But I will bow to any native French speaker who might wish to correct me.
Political Interest wrote:Why do you want anyone like Wilders in Australia? That is a really smart move when you have a huge Muslim country to the north of you. It will harm relations.

Bullshit.
Political Interest wrote:Explain how. What do you gain from having him come and speak to you? You do not have your own far right?

Yes we do, hence he was invited over to speak.

Look up "One Nation party" and "Pauline Hanson".
PI, tell me what you think will be achieved by blocking him? It will play right into his little game of the poor whitey victim of muslim apologist anti-free speech brigade. He then becomes a martyr.

No, let him in, expose him for the irrelevance that he is (after last Dutch elections, his party is back on the fringe), and we will all be wondering what the big fuss was about.
GandalfTheGrey wrote:PI, tell me what you think will be achieved by blocking him? It will play right into his little game of the poor whitey victim of muslim apologist anti-free speech brigade. He then becomes a martyr.

No, let him in, expose him for the irrelevance that he is (after last Dutch elections, his party is back on the fringe), and we will all be wondering what the big fuss was about.

We agree on something!
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Pu[…]

@Rich There is no scientific rationale for rac[…]

OK, so it's good for Europe the US (oil companies[…]

God dammit, Rich. This is like whenever anyone b[…]