Concerns regarding the formation of government - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Gnote
I am coming to that conclusion myself.

Theoretically speaking, why would you be opposed to a neutered government that you disagree with? Surely it would be better for them to be passing fluff legislation, than legislation designed to nationalize all industry?

If they won't table bills that are more than fluff, then they essentially can't DO anything.
By ingliz
The "bill" is usually related to something contained within the elected party's electoral manifesto but this is traditionally interpreted fairly loosely.
By Gnote
In *real* countries that use this sort of system, the bill is generally a budget. But given the fictitious nature of our sim, I think a comprehensive budget would be difficult.
By ingliz
"In summary the precedents and conventions suggest that the confidence of Parliament in the Government of the day can be assumed to exist, even in periods of minority government, unless and until it is shown to be otherwise, and that can only be demonstrated conclusively and unambiguously by way of a confidence vote. A Government is entitled to assume the confidence of Parliament even if it is faced with defeats or significant rebellions in the division lobbies. The Government may decide to put Parliament’s confidence to the test by moving a motion of confidence or by expressly treating a motion put down by itself or by others as a confidence motion, or it can refuse to do this and put the onus on its opponents to provoke such a test by moving a no-confidence motion."

Erskine May is not much help, anything can trigger a confidence vote in the UK Parliament.
By Dr House
Gnote wrote:In *real* countries that use this sort of system, the bill is generally a budget. But given the fictitious nature of our sim, I think a comprehensive budget would be difficult.

I don't think a budget would be all that difficult, actually. We already have most of the facts regarding what our fictitious government looks like.

I like the idea of having a budget be the initial legislation.
By ingliz
We already have most of the facts

But we don't - We would have to know what's the present health system, how large are the armed forces, the prison system, how law and order are organised, the school system, the average wage by decile etc etc - a budget is out of the question for now.
Last edited by ingliz on 13 May 2009 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
By Dr House
So, should the GM council hash out the details on what the country looks like and shit? If I'm not mistaken, that's what it was originally intended for.
By ingliz
You see if the communists were really sneaky and a budget was required then we could implement most of our programme by just budgeting for a universal healthcare system etc and pretending that it was already in place before we came to power and then what would you do when you took over, abolish everything. I don't think that would endear you to the electorate, closing hospitals and schools usually costs votes. ;)
Last edited by ingliz on 13 May 2009 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
By Dr House
Why would the PNL close down public hospitals and schools? :eh:
By Oxymoron
Because we would put state of the art new Schools and Hospitals in their places.
By ingliz
Why would the PNL close down public hospitals and schools?

Because if you voted down the budget there would be no money to pay the staff's wages, buy medical supplies, pay outside services, utilities etc.
Last edited by ingliz on 13 May 2009 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
By Dr House
if we voted down the budget your party would not be the government. We could subsequently propose the same budget allocation to healthcare or whatever as you did in our own confidence motion. ;)
By ingliz
But if you do that why vote down the budget in the first place?
By Dr House
because I'm not voting down the budget. I'm voting down your government.
By Demosthenes
Dr House wrote:So, should the GM council hash out the details on what the country looks like and shit? If I'm not mistaken, that's what it was originally intended for.

Are you volunteering? Dave had said he was going to be able to do that, but nothing materialize? ;)

Honi's rules shall stand as my own in this thread and the other.
By Dr House
Yeah I can do that.

Should I hammer out the details and present them in the GM council thread?
By Demosthenes
If you're willing go right ahead, just make sure to be fair in the history to all sides in one way or another. If you take liberties with something that would aid one cause make sure to give them somewhere else to aid another. ;)
By Dr House
Well the history and economic structire is pretty much already written in the broad strokes. I'm just filling in the nitty-gritty details, which the government will need for proper policymaking.
By Demosthenes
That'll do, just make it official looking so I can copy the code and place it in the sticky, be sure to include the current parties (anything you want on the PUC, if anything), and whatever else seems relevant.
World War II Day by Day

On paper, and to a great extent in practice too, […]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]