CA-SLD Economic Conciliation Talks (IMPORTANT!) - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Dave
Gnote wrote:Paradigm,

Summarize your final proposal surrounding the guaranteed income.

I am not comfortable supporting a coalition until the broad strokes of this issue have been agreed upon by all parties to it.

Your original point was principles, but now you seem to insist on specific policies. The PNL is for poverty alleviation, for a more equitable society, and for a more holistic definition of quality of life than just money.
By Gnote
Where a coalition with parties explicitly opposed to our party's four principles is concerned, I would like to know some of the details before we hop into bed.
By Dave
We agree with your first three principles and partially agree to your fourth.
By Gnote
I can't see our leader abandoning the four principles of our party.

Policy concessions are understandable, but it's unlikely that he would accept a coalition that runs in opposition to our principles.
By Dave
If we all agreed with the SLD we would be in the SLD, Gnote.
By Dr House
Gnote wrote:I've given substantial ground.

All the way from a $25,000 guaranteed income for all citizens, to a guaranteed income equal to the poverty line for those below it and less than the poverty line for those above it.

That is substantial ground. Incredibly substantial ground.

Well you had to give a lot of ground before any consensus could be reached. Your original proposal was beyond unreasonable, it was an economic impossibility.

And you might notice that this turned from a negotiation with the CA to one with the PNL. If the substantially more pragmatic and less (economically) liberal PNL couldn't stand your proposal the CA won't either.
By Gnote
Dave wrote:If we all agreed with the SLD we would be in the SLD, Gnote.

There is a difference between partnering with those you disagree with, and taking policy positions that serve to undermine your party's very foundation.
By Dave
Well it's a good thing that no one is advocating such policy positions then. The CA is the flat tax and no welfare party, not us.
By Dr House
As stated, Gnote, we're in agreement with the four planks of your party. We just have a different way to achieve them.

Speaking of which, I don't think there will be much disagreement from the left and center (this is mostly directed at the CA), but I will not be in a coalition that doesn't incorporate an industrial policy. That means our research cartels, forced savings and preferential trade policy all stay.
By Dave
Have our research cartels been revealed to anyone outside the party? :?:
By Dr House
hmm, I don't think so come to think of it.
By Sephardi
Income Tax Bracket:

People who don't have jobs have 6 months to find a job. They'll be given $12,000 a year while they're on unemployment ($1,000 a month).

I think this is very fair to the SLD. The percentages on the graph is how much in taxes they'll pay in taxes and they're exempt from taxes if they make less than $30,000.

Corporate Tax Bracket:

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Sephardi on 15 Apr 2009 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave
Your personal income taxes are too high on the low end, too low on the high end.

I have no objection to your corporate rate schedule although my preference is for a flat tax.

One fundamental request the PNL has on any income taxes is that all investment be fully deductible.
By Sephardi
Your personal income taxes are too high on the low end, too low on the high end.

:eh:

You didn't read it right. Everybody who makes less than $30,000 is exempt from taxes. How is that too high?
By Dave
Sephardi wrote: :eh:

You didn't read it right. Everybody who makes less than $30,000 is exempt from taxes. How is that too high?

The under $30,000 rate is obviously not a problem. Here is the PNL's proposed rate schedule:

1% on income between $0 and $20,000
3% on income between $20,000 and $40,000
5% on income between $40,000 and $75,000
10% on income between $75,000 and $125,000
15% on income between $125,000 and $200,000
25% on income between $200,000 and $500,000
33% on income between $500,000 and $1,000,000
39% on income between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000
44% on income over $10,000,000

As you can see, we propose more lower rates than the CA for all incomes except under $30,000 (where we propose a token 1% rate mainly for enhanced tax compliance) and over $500,000.

This does not include the PNL's proposal for a single penalty, a married childless penalty, or a foreigner surtax.
By Karl_Bonner_1982
It would be lovely if we had a narrower range of economic views in our Parliament, or at least a much larger chunk toward the center. But the reality is that we don't. A quarter of the parliament is dominated by anti-capitalists, another 10 percent or so by laissez-faire libertarians, and then we have the THP and POP which are on their own dimensions.

Even among the four parties that accept some form of mixed market economy there is a huge disparity between the Gnote types and Sephardi/Dave types. We're going to have to come to some kind of compromise eventually, folks. My suggestion is that we don't sweat the small stuff right now and instead think about forming our cabinet and thinking about the SHAPE of our welfare state rather than the SIZE.
By Falx
Heh, I like that: THP: So out there we have our own dimension.
By Dave
Karl_Bonner_1982 wrote:Even among the four parties that accept some form of mixed market economy there is a huge disparity between the Gnote types and Sephardi/Dave types.

Why are you conflating Sephardi with me? I lead the PNL, which is a producerist party. Sephardi is a vanilla neoliberal. Dr. House, whose policies you seem to love, has a slightly more egalitarian version of my economics.

Karl_Bonner_1982 wrote:We're going to have to come to some kind of compromise eventually, folks. My suggestion is that we don't sweat the small stuff right now and instead think about forming our cabinet and thinking about the SHAPE of our welfare state rather than the SIZE.

The size is rather important as well.
By Sephardi
Sephardi is a vanilla neoliberal.

:eh:

Vanilla?

And it was also debunked.

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]