SLD + PUC + ? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Attica
I am all for a coalition, as long as the church and state are kept separate. That's all I ask, no state funding of religious groups but fair religious freedom (as long as it does not impinge upon others' and does not incite religious or racial or ethnic hatred etc etc etc).
By Okonkwo
Paradigm wrote:Let's get a vote on who wants this coalition to go forward.

I think it's obvious that I am for a coalition with the PUC, for reasons I have explained to the SLD membership sufficiently.
The issue of the separation of church and state should however be clarified, I support Attica in this seeing as how we cannot marginalise our own fundamental principles - we are a secular party after all - even if I myself do not have the same opinion on the matter.
By Dave
Just for the record, the PNL is in favor of the separation of church and state and opposed to the funding of religious charities (or any other charities--the state provides welfare/safety nets, not charities). We are pragmatic and flexible on both issues, however.
By Infidelis
Edit: I see no reason to attempt to reason to and moderate the two factions that divided our party. Let's get this coalition sorted out before everyone becomes a fringe "protest vote."
By Karl_Bonner_1982
How many defectors has our party had so far? I'm getting a bit worried that we are having trouble holding it together...

Last time I checked (about 12 hours ago) the combination of SLD, PUC and PNL would have been enough to form a majority government, but that may have change enough by now that we'll end up needing the CA too.
By Sephardi
Current numbers say that a coalition of SLD, PUC, and PNL will not have enough seats. A Blue and Orange Coalition of SLD, PUC, PNL and CA will have enough seats to create a government. I think we need to start a thread about a Blue and Orange Coalition so we can talk it out. PNL and the PUC are alright with the CA and the SLD and PUC is alright the PNL. The CA and SLD are the only two parties of the coalition that need to straighten things out with each other before a Blue and Orange Coalition can take place.
By Prosthetic Conscience
I'm not happy about adding the CA to any coalition including the SLD. I'd rather see the centre-left coalition (SN/RF, SLD, PUC) than SLD, PUC, PNL, CA.

How are the PUC on a pragmatic coalition including the left wing SN/RF? Or should we go for a minority government (eg SLD, PUC and PNL), and hope we can muster the extra few votes from part of the SN/RF, CA or THP (I'm assuming the THP won't formally take part in coalitions - they seem to dislike the idea)?
By Dr House
PC, a Social Democrat coalition is not happening, because the SN refuses to bend. Not that I blame them, they're looking to exterminate capitalism rather than help create a pink version of it, and if they compromise on thet their existence becomes moot.

Besides, have you looked at the PNL platform? Our economics have more in common with the left than the right.
By NYYS
I cannot speak for my party, but I personally will not be getting into bed with the SLD without massive concessions in their economic policy.
By Oxymoron
SLD is putting party first, Pofoland second.They are unwilling to negotiate their positions even though they have a marginal numerical advantage. I think people should look to find alternate ideas for forming the goverment, perhaps even some level headed SLD members should look to other parties so that we can finally create a workable system.To move our country forward from the shadow of the dark years we endured and have just emerged from.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
I'd rather see the centre-left coalition (SN/RF, SLD, PUC)

Look at the PUC party platform. They refuse to have anything to do with the SN/RF.
By Fasces
The other two centre-right parties (PNL and PUC) are very similar to yours economically.

By DDave3
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:I'm not happy about adding the CA to any coalition including the SLD. I'd rather see the centre-left coalition (SN/RF, SLD, PUC) than SLD, PUC, PNL, CA

I agree PC. The CA seem just too conservative to deal with and several of their members seem unable to accept our platform - and vice versa, I would imagine. Whatever the outcome, the SLD is in a strong position come the close of the polls.
By Karl_Bonner_1982
Fasces, where did you get that map that shows the parties' positions on the Political Compass spectrum?
By Clausewitz
It may be best if PUC stayed out of these proceedings, since the real problem is how and under what terms the SLDs can cooperate with conservative parties.

We don't have to agree on everything. The two wings of PUC don't agree on abortion, for instance, so I think certain elements can be left out of the government position too in order to form a government. What unites us is certain common priorities in the face of extremist dangers.
By Infidelis
Oxymoron wrote:SLD is putting party first, Pofoland second.

Hey, I got John McCain holding on line two. He wants his failed campaign rhetoric back...what should I tell him?

I'll take a further look at PNL when I can get to an actual computer. Reading full stances on an iPhone is a pain...
By Dave
Our full platform has not been posted yet as we are awaiting final decisions on crucial geographic, economic, and demographic information which will influence our policies.

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have said[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]