One percent produce 20 times more Greenhouse gasses than 50% of population - Page 14 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@Truth To Power

Note that the evidence has been presented showing that about 20% of the Bangladeshi coastline will be periodically flooded with a 12 inch sea level rise, and that this contradicts your claim that climate change and sea level rise are not a problem for Bangladeshi people.
QatzelOk wrote:Yes, it would, and patents should be illegal as well.

Patents don't exist in the first place except by law.
The one percent live off their lack of empathy for other people.

No. They live by PRIVILEGE. By LAW. It has very little to do with any personal sociopathic tendency they might exhibit -- other than the fact that lack of moral scruple makes it easier to enter the 1% and to rationalize and justify their privileges.
They contaminate our planet, and then use their media to make poor schleps feel like "YOU MUST DO SOMETHING!"

They don't actually care much about the contamination or efforts to reduce it. Their privileges are much larger than that.
Your defense of this kind of political scamming is noted.

You made that up.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Truth To Power

Note that the evidence has been presented showing that about 20% of the Bangladeshi coastline will be periodically flooded with a 12 inch sea level rise,

Yes, and I'm sure it would be even more with a 12-foot or 12-meter sea level rise. That doesn't mean using fossil fuels will cause that much sea level rise.

See how that works? It's called, "logic." You could try it.
and that this contradicts your claim that climate change and sea level rise are not a problem for Bangladeshi people.

You made that up. I merely observed that local weather is a much more significant factor in Bangladesh's flood risk, and that CO2 is not a significant cause of climate change or sea level rise.
Truth To Power wrote:Yes, and I'm sure it would be even more with a 12-foot or 12-meter sea level rise. That doesn't mean using fossil fuels will cause that much sea level rise.

…and this evidence has also been presented in this thread.

So now you have caught up to the part where we see your claims are refuted.

You are welcome.

See how that works? It's called, "logic." You could try it.

You made that up. I merely observed that local weather is a much more significant factor in Bangladesh's flood risk, and that CO2 is not a significant cause of climate change or sea level rise.

No, you were simply unclear about your arguments, as always.

But as long as we are clear that CO2 is a significant cause of climate change and sea level rise, and that this has already been supported with evidence in this thread.
Unthinking Majority wrote:What if the government is our collective anus, and every time a politician speaks nothing but shit comes out of their mouth?

When you write that capitalist governments are "OUR" anus, I have to assume you're the CEO of a large multinational that pays big speaking fees to its productive prostitutes.
ckaihatsu wrote:
TTP, you're continuing to present / imply that the basis for much / most profit-making is *intellectual property* -- and that's presumably on a nationalist basis. Also land, right?

Truth To Power wrote:
Right, but land is much more important than IP, as its astronomical unimproved value proves so very conclusively. This is mainly because landowning enables landowners to take all the value government creates by spending on desirable public services and infrastructure. So in effect, landowners get to pocket everyone else's taxes: the more government spends trying to undo the damage caused by landowner privilege, the more landowners are entitled to pocket, and the worse the damage caused by landowner privilege. The majority of land by value is corporate owned. Total land rent amounts to 20%-30% of GDP in most advanced capitalist countries, depending on factors like population density and geography. So landowning accounts for corporate profits totaling ~10%-20% of GDP, depending on the country.

Other important privileges are bank licenses (under our current fractional reserve debt-money system of finance capitalism), oil and mineral rights, and broadcast spectrum allocations.

Okay, what I'm hearing is a sound critique of *rentier* capital, because of the automatically-wealth-increasing *privilege* of such private property ownership (of various forms) (of necessarily / by-definition *non-productive* capital -- assets and resources).

ckaihatsu wrote:
So then how are these respective assets *to* be 'sourced', 'administrated', and 'controlled', exactly -- ?

Truth To Power wrote:
IP (except brands and trademarks, which are for consumers' information and safety) should not be an asset, should not exist at all. Anything that is published is inherently in the public domain. The effect of IP is to reprivatize it through the grant of a monopoly privilege.

Okay, good to hear. So you're *pro* digital-commons, basically.

You're saying that brands and trademarks hold some kind of *social* / mindshare / reputational value -- can you expand on this part at all -- ? Should the same government administration that you're critical of be the social institution to regulate over brands and trademarks -- like perhaps the 'recycle' (triple-arrow) logo, since that's been corporate and controversial.

What if some company's brand or reputation has been aggressively *attacked*, resulting in *devaluation*, or an individual has been socially *harmed*, through unwarranted malicious discourse -- how would the government handle these kinds of 'justice' situations, if people are seeking 'compensation' or 'public acknowledgement' -- ?

Truth To Power wrote:
Private commercial banks should be required to hold 100% reserves for their demand deposits and maturity-matched assets for all their other liabilities. This would remove their privilege of charging interest on their increases in the money supply and restrict them to the businesses they falsely claim to be in: financial intermediation and risk management.

Oil and mineral rights, broadcast spectrum, etc. should be auctioned off under conditions designed to recover their publicly created value rather than give it away to corporations.

Secure, exclusive tenure to land should be granted to the prospective user who repays the subsidy -- its rental value -- to the community that creates it, with the stipulation that each location's subsidy repayment liability is reduced by a uniform amount for each citizen residing there sufficient to ensure they have free, secure access to economic opportunity.

In other words -- if I may -- the market will inherently provide a *market* valuation for any-given parcel of land, as a function of sheer emergence. In all of these cases / examples it's the *state* (bureaucracy) that enjoys the quantification / financialization of whatever natural and social resources / natural-monopolies exist.

And how *would* such a bureaucracy / administration / government *valuate* those state assets if they happened to go unclaimed by the private sector, like an abandoned building that's financially 'under-water' -- ? There's no 'rental value' available as a measurement if there's no *renting*, or purchasing / auctioning going on due to lack of economic activity.

How is the (presumably national) government *funded* -- ? Why does the local 'community' get to benefit from 'land creation', and why would the national government be so *generous* in not-claiming control and administration *itself*, instead magnanimously devolving such economic activity to 'the community' in all cases, while still having to spend on (aforementioned) 'desirable public services and infrastucture' -- ?

ckaihatsu wrote:
What do you think of the COVID vaccines IP -- ?

Truth To Power wrote:
Disgraceful.
ckaihatsu wrote:
EU provokes fierce backlash on plans to label nuclear and gas as ‘green’ investments

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/05/climate ... green.html

Gas is a lot better than coal, but it's still a carbon fuel, and not green.

Nukes are expensive, but no carbon emissions. It's one of the 'greenest' energy sources we have. Most developed countries simply won't be able to meet reasonable emission targets without some nuke power plants.

Looks like reality has yet to soak in..
late wrote:
Gas is a lot better than coal, but it's still a carbon fuel, and not green.

Nukes are expensive, but no carbon emissions. It's one of the 'greenest' energy sources we have. Most developed countries simply won't be able to meet reasonable emission targets without some nuke power plants.

Looks like reality has yet to soak in..

I've heard good things about *thorium*, in particular.

I also happen to like all of the solar-*concentrating* approaches I've seen, at any scale.
ckaihatsu wrote:

In my estimation that looks to be something of a red herring -- commercial operations use molten salt, and oil is another ready go-to medium.

I checked, just research reactors, but they're working on plans to build commercial reactors.

Needs work.
https://earth.org/data_visualization/the-energy-storage-problem-what-is-the-battery-of-the-future/
late wrote:
I checked, just research reactors, but they're working on plans to build commercial reactors.

Yay.

late wrote:
Needs work.
https://earth.org/data_visualization/the-energy-storage-problem-what-is-the-battery-of-the-future/

Yeah, that's the current conversation, but let's just call my approach more 'alt'-energy. Also Fresnel lenses for the same.
Pants-of-dog wrote:…and this evidence has also been presented in this thread.

And been refuted.
So now you have caught up to the part where we see your claims are refuted.

No, you simply made that up.
No, you were simply unclear about your arguments, as always.

No, you made that up, as always.
But as long as we are clear that CO2 is a significant cause of climate change and sea level rise, and that this has already been supported with evidence in this thread.

We know that it isn't, and that no such evidence has been produced. This fact will continue to be proved by actual physical events, which cannot be edited, altered, weighted, smoothed, averaged, modeled, interpolated, adjusted, or otherwise falsified, and can be confirmed by anyone who cares to look out their window.
Truth To Power wrote:And been refuted.

No, you simply made that up.

No, you made that up, as always.

We know that it isn't, and that no such evidence has been produced. This fact will continue to be proved by actual physical events, which cannot be edited, altered, weighted, smoothed, averaged, modeled, interpolated, adjusted, or otherwise falsified, and can be confirmed by anyone who cares to look out their window.

Yes, I presented scientific studies showing:

1. that the rich are responsible for a highly disproportionate amount of GHGs, and

2. that the GHGs are responsible for global warming, and

3. that global warming will lead to sea level rise, and

4. Bangladesh will be severely affected by flooding due to sea level rise.

You did not refute any of it, and I will prove this by asking you to show your refutations, and then you will ignore this demand.
ckaihatsu wrote:Okay, what I'm hearing is a sound critique of *rentier* capital,

I don't know what you mean by "rentier capital," and prefer to define terms clearly and accurately. Privilege is a legal entitlement to benefit from the abrogation of others' rights without making just compensation. If that is what you are talking about, please do not call it "rentier capital."
because of the automatically-wealth-increasing *privilege* of such private property ownership (of various forms) (of necessarily / by-definition *non-productive* capital -- assets and resources).

The defining characteristic of privilege is that unlike, say, a factory, whose owner can only increase his wealth by producing value, relieving scarcity, and making others richer, the owner of a privilege increases his wealth by the abrogation of others' rights, making them poorer. So the problem with privilege is not that it makes its owners richer -- we all want to be richer -- but that it makes others poorer. And to correct your misstatement, natural resources like land are not unproductive, only their owners are.
Okay, good to hear. So you're *pro* digital-commons, basically.

I'd go further, and abolish all patent and copyright monopolies.
You're saying that brands and trademarks hold some kind of *social* / mindshare / reputational value -- can you expand on this part at all -- ?

They certify the source of a product, preventing fraudulent pretenses of quality. Note that a person's name is also a brand. So for example, in the absence of copyright one could rewrite and republish the Harry Potter novels, or even just photocopy and sell them, but one could not claim they were JK Rowling's work without her permission to use her name.
Should the same government administration that you're critical of

I don't criticize government per se, mainly just its subservience to the narrow financial interests of the privileged super-duper uber-rich.
be the social institution to regulate over brands and trademarks -- like perhaps the 'recycle' (triple-arrow) logo, since that's been corporate and controversial.

I'm not familiar with the controversy. Nothing is perfect, and greedy people will always concoct schemes to take advantage of any system, but I have no a priori objection to government regulating use of brands and trademarks.
What if some company's brand or reputation has been aggressively *attacked*, resulting in *devaluation*, or an individual has been socially *harmed*, through unwarranted malicious discourse -- how would the government handle these kinds of 'justice' situations, if people are seeking 'compensation' or 'public acknowledgement' -- ?

There are libel laws, etc. Admittedly, the age of the Internet makes enforcement problematical, as so much can be done anonymously.
In other words -- if I may -- the market will inherently provide a *market* valuation for any-given parcel of land, as a function of sheer emergence.

Right.
In all of these cases / examples it's the *state* (bureaucracy) that enjoys the quantification / financialization of whatever natural and social resources / natural-monopolies exist.

The idea is that the state (i.e., its government) is democratically accountable to its citizens. How that is managed in practice is a different issue, but I'm not talking about historical situations of monarchy, or contemporary dictatorships.
And how *would* such a bureaucracy / administration / government *valuate* those state assets if they happened to go unclaimed by the private sector, like an abandoned building that's financially 'under-water' -- ?

As it was privately produced, the building would be privately owned; only the land under it would be public until such time as some private person paid for secure, exclusive tenure.
There's no 'rental value' available as a measurement if there's no *renting*, or purchasing / auctioning going on due to lack of economic activity.

There is always economic activity. If no more than one person was willing to pay for secure, exclusive tenure to a given location, they would get it for free. If more than one person was willing to pay, the person who was willing to pay the most would get it for a bit more than the person who wanted it second most was willing to pay. Some people advocate "Vickrey auctions" where the high bidder would get it for the second highest bidder's bid.
How is the (presumably national) government *funded* -- ?

IMO national governments are best funded by seigniorage on money issuance and Pigovian taxes. Location subsidy repayment (LSR) is better suited to junior governments. Of course, revenue sources and responsibility for expenditures have to go together. As most land value is locally created, the local community should recover it.
Why does the local 'community' get to benefit from 'land creation',

There is no land creation, obviously. The local community is largely responsible for providing the desirable public services and infrastructure -- and enabling the private activities that create the opportunities and amenities -- that make the land more advantageous, so it rightly recovers the value it creates.
and why would the national government be so *generous* in not-claiming control and administration *itself*, instead magnanimously devolving such economic activity to 'the community' in all cases,

People have generally found that devolving some responsibilities to junior governments is more efficient and accountable, especially if the nation is large and geographically diverse.
while still having to spend on (aforementioned) 'desirable public services and infrastucture' -- ?

Most of that spending is local. Of course it depends on the country. In a place like Singapore, the national government IS local. In big, diverse countries like Russia, Canada, China, Brazil or the USA, there are states or provinces as well as city governments that handle a lot of the spending on services and infrastructure. The various levels of government come to a modus vivendi.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, I presented scientific studies showing:

2. that the GHGs are responsible for global warming,

No, the studies claimed that, but did not show it.
3. that global warming will lead to sea level rise, and

4. Bangladesh will be severely affected by flooding due to sea level rise.

Without 2, these are irrelevant.
You did not refute any of it,

False.
and I will prove this by asking you to show your refutations, and then you will ignore this demand.

:roll: Don't you ever get tired of making those claims, and then seeing me prove you wrong?

From my post #4680 in this thread:

Why do you always choose to make false claims? You are aware that I have cited many climate studies that support my position. Here's another one:

https://www.mdpi.com/2225-1154/9/11/161/htm

And another one:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 29001/meta

And another one:

https://www.mdpi.com/2225-1154/9/11/163/htm

And from post #4296:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/there-is ... d-nations/

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-sc ... nge-2012-4

Of course you will now dismiss these, falsely claim they do not support my statements, and falsely claim (again) that I have ignored your demands. It's always the same.

I am not interested in unverified hypotheses abou[…]

No one claimed that the idea settler colonialism i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

still, Compared to the corrupt Putin´s familie s […]

World War II Day by Day

May 14, Tuesday Germany takes Holland At dawn[…]