The Art Thread - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Okonkwo
Xenonx wrote:I don't get it, why do you find western pop art distasteful but Japanese pop art from the 17-19th centuries is "interesting"?

Do you realise how quick you jump to completely unfounded conclusions? It's astounding really.

"Pop Art is actually industrial painting, it is what the whole world will soon become."
(Roy Lichtenstein)
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
Do you realise how quick you jump to completely unfounded conclusions? It's astounding really.

That and comic books are my favorite form of literature.
By Okonkwo
Cheesecake_Marmalade wrote:That and comic books are my favorite form of literature.

Comic books are sadly relegated to social outcasts and the like these days, even though it has gotten better. They have been completely ignored in the past, nonetheless they contain both great art and writing.
By froggo
I don't know why Okonkwo, but for some reason I have never been too terribly fond of Lichtenstein. I generally greatly enjoy pop art, but his pieces have never really appealed to me. I've never found the colour selections appealing, and I have never found the characters within the pieces to be of much interest. They seem almost... as if they have boring or dull personalities. I feel no emotion when I look at them.
By froggo
Hmmm. I do not think he is a bad artist, his intent(from my understanding) is humorous and a bit interesting, I just do not like his pieces. I find the actual manifestation of his artistic endeavours to be dull and lacking depth, in regards to me being able to personally find much inspiration drawn from them, as in exploration of ideas and issues that can be taken from the piece. The message is presented weakly is what a mean. I've never been able to view pre-80's comics as something that contains depth, so it is only natural that I cannot see depth in his comic pieces.
By Syd
Okonkwo is ripping this thread. Great contributions once again. :up:
By Holt
Hokusai is great, though I prefer Hiroshige.

Last edited by Holt on 22 Sep 2009 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
By Okonkwo
Holt wrote:Hokusai is great, though I prefer Hiroshige.

I particularly love the first painting you posted, Great Bridge, Sudden Shower at Atake. It is one of my favourite paintings. :up:
The influence of the Japanese masters on artists such as Monet, Van Gogh and Klimt is often neglected, take a look at Van Gogh's rendition of that particular work of Hiroshige's as an example:

By Syd
Okonkwo wrote:Image

Fantastic. What painting medium was used here?
By Okonkwo
Syd wrote:Fantastic. What painting medium was used here?

While I do not know about the specifics of this particular painting, the usual technique for ukiyo-e painting was drawing the image onto washi, a special Japanese paper and then gluing it onto a plank of cherry wood. A small wooden hard object called baren would be used to press or burnish the paper against the inked woodblock, thus applying the ink onto the paper.

Shoki striding by Okumura Masanobu:
By Nets

:up:
By Quantum
This artist here is Stephen Wiltshire and he has amazing drawing capabilities. As a result of his autism, this autistic savant can draw with precision after viewing it just once. Having just a tenth of his gift would be awesome and I would definitely utilise it to my advantage, if I had it.

[youtube]95L-zmIBGd4[/youtube]
By Abood

Alfried Krupp, by Arnold Newman.

The guy was an industrialist and a war criminal, and here he is looking so evil.

He was actually not very pleased that Newman deceived him into posing like the devil.
By Quantum
This is an interesting photograph of a model by Craig Tracy. You could see that the model blends well into the surroundings and has fully camouflaged herself in the photograph as a leopard.

By Okonkwo
Ah, Bouguereau, most of his work I perceive to be too campy and unimaginative, but that does not mean that there aren't some interesting - and unquestionably 'beautiful' - paintings to be found of him. This particular one is able to transcend the constrictions of Classicism:

Dante and Virgil in Hell
It is one of his first works, he painted it when he was only 25 years old and I must say it remains by far my favourite one of his.

"Their sighs, lamentations and loud wailings
resounded through the starless air,
so that at first it made me weep;
Strange utterances, horrible pronouncements,
words of pain, tones of anger,
voices shrill and faint, and beating hands,
all went to make a tumult that will whirl
forever through that turbid, timeless air,
like sand that eddies when a whirlwind swirls."
(from: Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]