Swexit, the first victim from Brexit - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
I'm even more outspoken about Germans.

Maybe in private but I have literally never heard you be critical of Germans on POFO.

At that time, the Brits knew they were superior, they didn't even have any need to show it, and a little criticism left them cold.

There was a poll of Europeans a while back to ask who they thought was the most arrogant country in Europe. The Germans said the French and the French said the Germans. I don’t remember about the british.

These days, Brits are far quicker to go through the roof about minor criticism. I'm not saying this to upset you, I just like to put my impression up for debate, but that's difficult when all I get are knee-jerking reactions. Of course I can be diplomatic and throw about tidbits about how I admire the Brits, or whatever, but that seems hardly a good starting point for a debate, don't you think?

I don’t think I fly of the handle do I? I am also doubtful the change you claim but I wasn’t around in the 70’s. I was born in 1980.

The reason I am doubtful is that we were much behind the continent in the 1970’s in terms of wealth and so logically I think we would be more sensitive to criticism back then. Nations tend to be more sensitive when they have inferiority issues. Our economy was a basket case in the 1970’s.
Glen wrote:Can you expand on what is meant by superior?

All people have a feeling of superiority. To a degree that is natural, until it isn't natural anymore. However, that feeling is different in each nation, it's also expressed differently. What differentiates the British is the experience of the empire and of having virtually been the masters of the world for centuries. That did not lead to a shallow ideology of the superhuman, as with the Nazis, but it endowed the British with an unshakable and deep believe in their own superiority. The empire is gone, yet its aftereffects are still felt.

layman wrote:Maybe in private but I have literally never heard you be critical of Germans on POFO.

Frollein would disagree. If you look at my posting record, you also find that I blasted German nationalists, posted about Nazi prosecution and the Herero genocide, racist murders in Germany, etc.

If I don't attack Germany's refugee policy or European policy, it is because I agree with it.

There was a poll of Europeans a while back to ask who they thought was the most arrogant country in Europe. The Germans said the French and the French said the Germans. I don’t remember about the british.

What has that got to do with anything? These polls are useless anyways. All nations have perceptions of other nations that are very far removed from the facts. For example, the British live in their Anglophone bubble and are completely ignorant about Germany.

I don’t think I fly of the handle do I?

No, but you don't always take critical remarks well.

The reason I am doubtful is that we were much behind the continent in the 1970’s in terms of wealth and so logically I think we would be more sensitive to criticism back then.

I'm not talking about GDP, but about how people relate to their national identity. That is not based on objective facts. In the 60s and 70s, the empire was still alive in people's consciousness. To mentally resuscitate the empire and to make it the ground for a glorious future, as some of the Brexiteers do, is far less credible today.

Nations tend to be more sensitive when they have inferiority issues.

Absolutely, and that tells me that the British today feel that their relative prosperity is not based on solid grounds, which does explain anti-immigration sentiments.

Our economy was a basket case in the 1970’s.

Your economy was in a transition, which involved some hardship before reaching a new normal.

I don't pretend to know your country better than you do, as you seem to infer from what I have said previously, but you have to admit that looking at your country from different perspectives, from the outside and inside, over an extended period of time, gives a person another point of view, that may be novel to you, but must not necessarily be wrong. In every country I have lived in, the immigrant community will always reflect on the oddities of its host country noticing many things the natives don't. There is no absolute truth, just a continuous triangulation of different viewpoints that lead us in the quest for the unknown.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Overall, there doesn't really seem to be too much difference in attitudes towards immigration between Germany and Britain, although Germans are more positive about migration from other EU countries than Brits. However, it's certainly not true that "nobody in Germany would think anything about it", whether it's migration from Poland or other EU countries.

That "nobody" is obviously a figure of speech not meant literally. Obviously I know Germans ranting about foreigners at the Stammtisch, obviously there is endless ranting about "Polish thieves" from one end of Germany to the other, yet it has not led to anti-immigration sentiments translating into political decisions as in the UK. In addition to a large amount of EU immigration, Germany was able to absorb more than a million refugees in a single year. I know you hope for a political backlash, but I think you'll be disappointed. Germany has absorbed enormous amounts of migrants all along its history and is genetically one of the most divers countries in Europe. The Huguenots were welcomed by the Prussians just like the Polish migrant workers in the 19th century found a new home in the Ruhr region. I grew up in a small village in the 50s, certainly not renowned for its open-mindedness, with a Pole in my own family. He had a funny name nobody could pronounce, but he married into my family and nobody in that village would have though of him as anyone but one of their own. He was hardworking, and that was all there was to it. All through my school days, I shared classes with kids from foreign countries, mostly Eastern Europeans, and we always accepted them like we would accepted Germans from other towns.

I believe you do romanticise Germany in that respect, while you freely show contempt towards other EU countries.

I have pointed to the fact that current German mainstream politicians don't exploit xenophobic sentiments for political reasons as is happening in the UK. What is misconstrued as Merkel's invitation, is in fact a clear message to a domestic audience that attacks on refugees will not be tolerated. That, and only that, is the meaning of "refugees are welcome". The message sent out even by mainstream politicians in the UK is that "immigrants are a problem." To point to that difference has nothing to do with "romanticizing." Racism is not a god-given. Attitudes towards foreigners are shaped by politicians. Germany and the UK are two examples how politicians shape that public awareness towards foreigners.

All through history different ethnic groups have lived peacefully side by side for centuries until something happens that makes them kill each other. The reason for killing each other is not the presence of the other group, as is claimed by the racist, but a political event that triggers xenophobic sentiments. It is our choice, we don't have to destroy our society with racist prejudices and politicians have a duty to oppose xenophobia, and not to fan it, in order to strengthen the social fabric.
If you look at my posting record, you also find that I blasted German nationalists, posted about Nazi prosecution and the Herero genocide, racist murders in Germany, etc.

Really? Being against nationalism is simply being a good German these days. It is the exact opposite of being critical of Germany.

You are never critical of contemporary Germany. Being against Nazis doesn’t count mate

If I don't attack Germany's refugee policy or European policy, it is because I agree with it.

Fair enough but it seems merkel doesn’t even agree with it as she blatantly changed her mind. You are not seriosly going to claim there wasnt backtrackng are you?
It is our choice, we don't have to destroy our society with racist prejudices and politicians have a duty to oppose xenophobia, and not to fan it, in order to strengthen the social fabric.
God forbit negative sentiments against ethnic groups who are raping and committing crime enmass. That surely is so destructive in comparison with "progress" that brings all these migrants in who cause so much problems. You are such a good person Atlantis.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Out of interest, are you thinking of anything specific that would preclude a comparison between Germans and Brits when it comes to these type of questions? Note, the question is as follows:

Please tell me whether each of the following statements evokes a positive or negative feeling for you. Immigration of people from other EU Member States.

I think you have very well summed up the academic concern with self-reported survey results.

On comparing UK/DE cultures, all companies tend to lobby for free movement because it reduces their costs when they compete for the most productive employees. Investors in property (especially full-time landlords and those repaying mortgages) chime the same tune because having higher earning immigrants, or simply larger populations, will increase the value of their investments. Property ownership issues, and housing expectations, are culturally different in the UK and Germany. As an aside, there is also a smaller but distinct difference between Scotland and England on the topic of property ownership. This issue is likely to impact moral perceptions of the Eurobarometer question without a migration crisis. Post-migration crisis, Germany's Article 14 could be a point of contention because, according to some blogs, property is being seized by DE gov to house asylum seekers - can a German poster verify this?

Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany wrote:Article 14 [Property – Inheritance – Expropriation] (1) Property and the right of inheritance shall be guaranteed. Their content and limits shall be defined by the laws. (2) Property entails obligations. Its use shall also serve the public good. (3) Expropriation shall only be permissible for the public good. It may only be ordered by or pursuant to a law that determines the nature and extent of compensation. Such compensation shall be determined by establishing an equitable balance between the public interest and the interests of those affected. In case of dispute concerning the amount of compensation, recourse may be had to the ordinary courts.

Other side-effects of immigration include brain-drain, reduced job security, and changing inflation.

From the map results: UK/Spain/Portugal/Romania are the most stable in their assessment of EU vs non-EU migrants, but their feeling towards current EU immigration policies might expose different reasoning.

Social bias determines when positive/negative feelings are considered justified. Two people could generate the same logical reasoning to feel negative about something, and one might feel positive about discounting that reason on the basis that the reason was immoral, thus the two subjects provide different answers. From the perspective of academic inquiry, I would prefer Eurobarometer reports to identify subjects' logical and emotional arguments rather than the subjects' conclusions, and that cannot happen because Eurobarometer exists to support European Commission policies on promoting social and political integration.

Given that the EU has determined that British/Brexit society has a measurably more balanced view of EU and non-EU migrants than some more integrated members, is there cause for concern that the EU (motivated by the prospect of intense political union) might be appeasing societies that have extremely different perceptions of EU and non-EU migrants?
Atlantis wrote:That "nobody" is obviously a figure of speech not meant literally. Obviously I know Germans ranting about foreigners at the Stammtisch, obviously there is endless ranting about "Polish thieves" from one end of Germany to the other, yet it has not led to anti-immigration sentiments translating into political decisions as in the UK.

If that is what you wanted to say, then you've phrased your original statement really poorly. What you are actually saying now is "immigration - whether from Poland or elsewhere - matters to many Germans, but their view is not represented at the political level", rather than "nobody would think anything about it". And it's even less clear now why you'd conclude that "Britain is fragile" because of this.

I'm not really surprised that you think a lack of representation at the political level is good news though.

-----------------------------------------------

@Glen I agree that the reasons and cultural biases, if they can be teased out (difficult!) are generally more interesting, especially for policy making, than what polls commonly offer. It's for the most part a matter of cost and time required not only to conduct the interviews but also for the evaluation of what will be heterogeneous responses. Additionally, even fewer people may be willing to participate in more extensive interviews, and low response rates are already an issue.

I have come to interpret/think about results like this by taking the numbers only as a general guide, and not being to fussed about the exact percentages. So the main takeaway for me is that there are substantial proportions across the EU who feel negatively about immigration (not that I'm surprised by this). Additionally, if this particular poll would go against previous and other polls the results would be more questionable, but overall there seems to be relative consistency on this matter across countries and time.

As for property being seized by German authorities, I'm not aware of any private property having been seized (if that is what you meant), but there have been cases where authorities have attempted to remove existing tenants from government owned properties in favour of refugees. In one case I think the reasoning was that the flat was large so that it would have been more suited for a (refugee) family rather than a single person (I hope I'm remembering this correctly). I'm skeptical that this would survive a legal challenge, unless the authorities can offer a suitable alternative to the existing tenant, in which case I think an argument like that can be made, although obviously not only in favour of refugees but in general. I may not be up to date on this though, so maybe others can chime in.
Atlantis wrote:All people have a feeling of superiority. To a degree that is natural, until it isn't natural anymore. However, that feeling is different in each nation, it's also expressed differently. What differentiates the British is the experience of the empire and of having virtually been the masters of the world for centuries. That did not lead to a shallow ideology of the superhuman, as with the Nazis, but it endowed the British with an unshakable and deep believe in their own superiority. The empire is gone, yet its aftereffects are still felt.

History is where hindsight and speculation combine to propagate an entirely original bias ;)

There are artefacts of the imperial era, such as memorials in Cathedrals, that pay homage to the roles of dominions while extolling the weakness and mortality of individuals. Those artefacts provide me with my own bonkers and biased opinion that "they" believed in benevolent global imperial institutions that were actively defending "them" from terrible unknowns, thus advocating continued loyalty to more worldly and better educated faceless leaders. I am blistfully ignorant of their true thoughts and feelings, but I imagine their pillars of community conveyed more bewilderment and marvel than any sense of personal superiority.

The sobering accounts I received of WW2 did also not provoke any sense of superiority.
Atlantis probably just cannot imagine that historical events do not define everybody else to the same extent as Germans. Similarly, it is inconceivable to him that the British and French don't feel the same overwhelming sense of guilt about their past as Germans do. That's the only lens he knows.

I'm getting the hang of psychologising people, especially Germans. Fun! :D
Being "a good German" is nationalism.

It's a displaced form of nationalism, Baff. This is very important, and I think it's the key to unlock the mysteries of the German psyche. The Germans are actually just as nationalistic as any other European peoples, but the experiences of catastrophic military defeat in 1945 followed by decades of foreign occupation and division, and the systematic cultural and political brainwashing which accompanied it, has displaced that nationalism onto other objects of fanatical devotion than the German nation-state - principally the EU and a particular constellation of civic 'virtues'. In effect, the German people are suffering from an acute collective neurosis.
Pfft.

The only "Swexit" would be Sweden leaving the EU. The Swiss isnt part of the EU and can thus not leave it.

And if the swiss want to "limit migration" then I really dont care how exactly they plan to fail to archieve such unrealistic goals.

Hey these people even risk their very lifes by crossing the mediterranean sea in hopefully overloaded boats.

They are coming. There is no stopping them. The only way to handle this is to distribute them according to some fair system.

Potemkin wrote:It's a displaced form of nationalism, Baff. This is very important, and I think it's the key to unlock the mysteries of the German psyche. The Germans are actually just as nationalistic as any other European peoples, but the experiences of catastrophic military defeat in 1945 followed by decades of foreign occupation and division, and the systematic cultural and political brainwashing which accompanied it, has displaced that nationalism onto other objects of fanatical devotion than the German nation-state - principally the EU and a particular constellation of civic 'virtues'. In effect, the German people are suffering from an acute collective neurosis.
Riiiiiiiiiiight.

The fact that the people who shouted "we love germany" the loudest (a) started a world war and (b) commited industrialized genocide against jews, gypsies and mass murdered many other people has NOTHING to do with the fact that we germans now instinctively mistrust people who shout "we love germany" at the top of their lungs.

Hitler even wanted to kill the germans himself after it became obvious the war was lost, because they "had failed him". Thats how much that psycho "loved" germany.
Last edited by Negotiator on 29 Jul 2016 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Link to article following @layman's mention of poll results, courtesy of the Economist:

France and Italy achieve impressive ratios in their distribution of mentions..
Link to article following @layman's mention of poll results, courtesy of the Economist:

Lol @ Greece. :lol:
noemon wrote:Why? :eh:

The most laughable results are the British ones.

Drawn from the ratio of opinions to total mentions:

Czech Republic is compassionate: 100%
Italy is untrustworthy: 75%
France is arrogant: 60%
Britain is uncompassionate: 50%
Greece is untrustworthy: 40%
Germany is trustworthy: 32%

;)
The only thing I'm getting from that is that Germany is considered the most trustworthy, the most arrogant and the least compassionate.

Britain and Greece have voted for themselves.
noemon wrote:Britain and Greece have voted for themselves.

.. and France.
.. and Germany.

noemon wrote:The only thing I'm getting from that is that Germany is considered the most trustworthy, the most arrogant and the least compassionate.

.. despite Germany being found least trustworthy by those states that are most dependent on Germany (Poland, Greece).

Its statistical survey data, meaning anyone can extract anything they like from it.

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]