libertarians in the 18th century - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I've thought about how an argument between an american rebel and libertarian would go in the 18th century.
So I've decided to write down to see how it would play out.
rebel>this tea tax is the final straw, we must free ourselves from the Briton tyrants.
libertarian>Well sir, I believe that would violate the Napoleonic Agreement Pact.
rebel>But they're taxing us without representation!
libertarian>The tax goes to the king who in turn uses the money to protect our property and allow our business to flourish. Its mutually beneficial.
rebel>Well I don't need protection from the king!
libertarian>Well I think otherwise.
rebel>this tea tax is the final straw, we must free ourselves from the Briton tyrants.

The original tea party was about local merchant's opposition to liberalisation on tea trade, not to the imposition of any new taxes

libertarian>Well sir, I believe that would violate the Napoleonic Agreement Pact.

Where have you ever seen libertarians advocating obedience to inter-government treaties?

libertarian>The tax goes to the king who in turn uses the money to protect our property and allow our business to flourish. Its mutually beneficial.

Libertarians generally do not support increased taxation for any purpose. Are you confusing libertarians with conservatives?
Well the best way to build up a society is through a complete dictatorship.
such as in the case of the USSR which turned Russia from a rural feudal country into an industrial powerhouse in one generation.
That doesn't equate to a happy and healthy society though.
ronimacarroni wrote:Well the best way to build up a society is through a complete dictatorship.
such as in the case of the USSR which turned Russia from a rural feudal country into an industrial powerhouse in one generation.
That doesn't equate to a happy and healthy society though.

It is not the best way, it is not the only way, it is not even a good way.

The USSR 'miracle' if we can call it that consisted out of plucking workers from the fields and forcing them to work in rudimentary sweat shops. This all happened at extreme humanitarian cost. Even ignoring the humanitarian cost, there is nothing miraculous about this. The USSR is not the only country that experienced fast economic growth. For example, the Four Asian Tigers experienced much higher growth and they didn't need the terrible famine and atrocities to achieve it. South Korea was dirt poor in the 1960's being wrecked by the civil war, having only a gpd/capita of $155 (which is basically near starvation level) to a gpd/capita of $22000 in 2010.

@Tainari88 Responding to your comment in another[…]

1. Do you think that, as it currently exists th[…]

What are you upset about with @SpecialOlympian […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It is interesting how the elites of Europe used J[…]