Conservatism is now dead in the USA. - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Rei Murasame
Any attack against the jurisdiction of the Monarch would move them to the Left of the position of the Monarchy, Dan...
By DanDaMan
Any attack against the jurisdiction of the Monarch would move them to the Left of the position of the Monarchy, Dan...
Err...No.
Had they tried to dethrone the king and become the new king(s) they would have been left of the current king. :D
By Rei Murasame
DanDaMan wrote:Err...No.

Bloody hell, yes.

Focus. You guys are called Classical Liberals for a reason. Things like Monarchy, the economy of respect, holism, methodological motivationalism and class collaboration are most certainly to the right of your position on the spectrum that literally anyone in the world uses, and are not Liberal.

These guys are not Liberal:
Seriously.

David Cameron. Not Liberal.

Phillip Blond, also not a Liberal wrote:"Similarly, public private schools could be established. Let concerned parents draw down public funds to run schools that avoid institutional failure by meeting their children's actual vocational and academic needs. If communities are to be engaged, they must be supported as autonomous self-governing entities in a mutual compact with state and society.

Furthermore, Cameron is a fan of the cooperative and guild movement - which should impel him towards supporting local economies so that small businesses can link together and successfully compete to ensure a wider diversity of supply, ownership and innovation. Indeed, he has already spoken of creating an advantageous tax and regulatory regime to tip the balance back in favour of the local retailer.

But conservatism must confront its greatest historic failing: the poor. A way out is the distinction between markets and capitalism; while the latter tends to a zero sum monopoly, the former need not. Indeed, a properly constituted market avoids monopoly capitalism and benefits all participants by eschewing the idea of a dispossessed class and extending ownership and the ability to trade to all. Real conservatism is therefore synonymous with fair trade, a just price and as wide as possible a distribution of assets, equity and credit."
Last edited by Rei Murasame on 31 Mar 2010 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
By DanDaMan
Far right for me is anarchy.
Removal of a king to something less powerful is a move closer to that anarchy and Libertarianism.
By Quantum
DanDaMan wrote:Now you are doing what I hate... splitting intent and declaring both tyrants unequal because one uses acid on his people and the other uses boiling water.

I did not say that one is worse than another, I merely corrected you on your terminology by stating that kings are not necessarily dictators, not that kings are better than them.

DanDaMan wrote:Far right for me is anarchy.
Removal of a king to something less powerful is a move closer to that anarchy and Libertarianism.

Sigh... :roll:

By daytoncapri
Indeed.....

Just because you say so. :knife:

Quote:
It seems to me that labeling as liberal, conservative, libertarian, whatever are just short-hand conveniences.
When a simple word like "conservative" carries so much power in a complex world, it seems to me that we're oversimplifying.

With liberal and conservative, I agree. But libertarian, I disagree. You are either for selfownership or you are not, that is not oversimplifying, that is a specific stance.

Quote:
Personally, I think the best answer is absolute monarchy - If that sounds good, I'll tell you . . .

Only if I was declared king. :lol:

/////

Enjoyed your reply

My words indeed have no meaning - ask my wife if not sure.
I dare say that even Libertarians do have confusing arguments among themselves that look strange to us non-believers.
News Flash, you now are the King. Sorry Elvis. (Just an FYI, I am Emperor and thou doest serve at the Emperor's pleasure.)

Still learning the cockpit controls on this forum - I wonder how this will look. Time to read the FAQ page.
By Northern-Anarchist-X
Historically Left was considered opposition to the government, while Right was conservative or support for the establishment.

Nice Doublethink.
By TheRedMenace
DanDaMan wrote:Err...No.
Had they tried to dethrone the king and become the new king(s) they would have been left of the current king. :D

That's basically what they did. They dethroned the king and then seized power for themselves.
By DanDaMan
Err...No.
That's basically what they did. They dethroned the king and then seized power for themselves.
True, but on a much more limited basis. This means they moved closer to anarchy and therefore further Right.
By Rei Murasame
DanDaMan wrote:Far right for me is anarchy.

Which is just wrong.

DanDaMan wrote:This means they moved closer to anarchy and therefore further Right.

By DanDaMan
Then explain to me how a Libertarian is a Nazi?
Your scale makes no sense.
To you two totalitarians are the opposite of each other. How the hell does that make sense?
Clearly totalitarians are all from the same mold.
By Potemkin
Political logic according to DanDaMan:

Postulates:

Libertarianism is good.
The right-wing is good.
Totalitarianism is bad.
The left-wing is bad.

Conclusion:

Libertarianism is right-wing, and totalitarianism is left-wing.

Applying DanDaMan's 'logic' to other subjects yields some interesting results. For example:

Postulates:

A horse is an animal.
A snail is an animal.
A daffodil is a plant.
An oak tree is a plant.

Conclusion:

A horse is a snail and a daffodil is an oak tree.

Hmmm.... :eh:
By Cookie Monster

That's a very good description Potemky. :lol:
By DanDaMan
Political logic according to DanDaMan:

Postulates:

Libertarianism is good.
The right-wing is good.
Totalitarianism is bad.
The left-wing is bad.

Conclusion:

Libertarianism is right-wing, and totalitarianism is left-wing.

Applying DanDaMan's 'logic' to other subjects yields some interesting results. For example:

Postulates:

A horse is an animal.
A snail is an animal.
A daffodil is a plant.
An oak tree is a plant.

Conclusion:

A horse is a snail and a daffodil is an oak tree.

Hmmm.... :eh:
Left is the opposite of Right, right?
If the answer is yes how do you end up with two totalitarians on opposites?
By Rei Murasame
DanDaMan wrote:Left is the opposite of Right, right?

Depends, is animal the 'opposite' of plant? :O
By Stormsmith
Ombrageux wrote:FFS DDM.
Stop spamming the forum with your junk! If you love your liberty so much, do what the slaves did and flee to that great bright beacon of liberty in North: O, Canada.

AAAAWK!!

WTF did we ever do to you????
By Northern-Anarchist-X
Then explain to me how a Libertarian is a Nazi?
Your scale makes no sense.
To you two totalitarians are the opposite of each other. How the hell does that make sense?
Clearly totalitarians are all from the same mold.

Libertarians are socially liberal, opposing government, like anarcho-communists. Capitalists and Fascists both support the existing class system, and so do the libertarians. The differences are their attitudes towards authority and government, not social history.

Likewise, it's strange to paint me at the extreme right when I advocate the abolition of private property, and the abolition of the state (roughly simaltaneously).
By DanDaMan
Libertarians are socially liberal, opposing government, like anarcho-communists. Capitalists and Fascists both support the existing class system, and so do the libertarians.
Capitalists do not support fascism because fascism removes freedom to do business. Corporatist's do.

Likewise, it's strange to paint me at the extreme right when I advocate the abolition of private property, and the abolition of the state (roughly simaltaneously).
That sounds like true anarchy to me and therefore the extreme right.
Of course it's ludicrous because if you have no right to property you have no right to the food you grow or have in your hands.
By Rei Murasame
DanDaMan wrote:That sounds like true anarchy to me and therefore the extreme right.

For goodness sake... :knife:
By William_H_Dougherty
OMG,

Are we still having this debate about Left vs. Right? Has it occurred to anyone that reducing complex political discourses to a single dimension is....ummmm....overly simplistic and borderline idiotic.

I haven't heard a definition of "right" here that makes sense.

Northern-Anarchist-X wrote:Historically Left was considered opposition to the government, while Right was conservative or support for the establishment.

Unfortunately, that doesn't at all describe the "radical" conservative movements such as Thatcherism, does it? Thatcher was hardly a supporter of the British establishment or status quo. Are you positing that Thatcher was more leftwing than Brown?

Not many people would accept that.

Rei Murasame wrote:David Cameron. Not Liberal.

You sure about that?

- WHD

No, this was definitely not true for the first th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Legally dubious, but politically necessary. Not […]

Moldova has signed a security and defense pact wi[…]

Waiting for Starmer

All Tories are fuck-ups, whether they’re Blue or […]